“nice place”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed July 18, 2013

First of all I am a hotel snob I refuse to spend my money on trash. This hotel could not be in a better place for just walking around checking out the sites. The staff was outstanding always there with info and a smile. The food was outstanding. I would have stayed there my entire trip had i known how comfortable they make you feel. Did not check out the pool

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear anniem071101 ,

Thank you for your succinct review of the Hawthorne Hotel. Our guests are our top priority, and I’m pleased to hear that you found our Hotel to be so welcoming and our staff so helpful.

We have two restaurants in the Hotel, Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s, and I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed dining with us. I’m also glad that you utilized our excellent location to explore Salem and visit some of its many great attractions.

We do not actually offer a pool on-site, but we do offer complimentary access to the local YMCA’s gym and two pools. For guests staying with us during the summer months, we are also happy to point you in the direction of the area’s beaches.

Juli Lederhaus

Write a ReviewReviews (2,050)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was put into this hotel when the plane to England had to stop over in Boston due to mechanical difficulties. The staff at the hotel could not have been nicer and did everything in their power to ensure an enjoyable stay. Thank you Leah! My period room in the Guest House out back was as charming as could be and meals at the onsite Tavern were delicious and reasonably priced. My overnight at the Hawthorne Hotel turned a disaster into an adventure and I would not hesitate to stay there again!

Room Tip: See if you can get into the Guest House out back!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Yogipal58,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that we were able to make an unfortunate delay in your trip a little better, and appreciate you recognizing Leah, one of our excellent front desk clerks, for her help during your visit. I’ll be certain to pass along your “thank you” to her.

We embrace our history throughout the Hotel, priding ourselves on being able to offer our guests a unique atmosphere. Even older than the Hotel itself, the Fidelia Bridges Guest House, built in 1807, does offer a charm all its own. I’m sure that fellow Trip Advisor readers will appreciate your room recommendation, as well as your recommendation to try our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at the Hawthorne while visiting Salem, MA to catch the Faberge exhibit at the Peabody Essex Museum. The location is perfect - one block from the visitor's center, the museum and the main downtown pedestrian walkway. We booked the room + PEM museum package and it was a good deal. Plus, the hotel provided free water bottles each day and the staff was very helpful. All in all, a "high five" recommendation from us!

Dear Tim H,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our staff to be so helpful.

We are lucky to be centrally located in Salem, placing us within walking distance of Salem’s many great attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum. I’m so glad that you and your wife utilized our special PEM package to see the Fabergé Revealed exhibit. This is a must see for anyone visiting Salem now through September! PEM is always a worthwhile place to visit, with both exhibitions of their permanent collections, along with special exhibitions that make continued visits so special.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Great hotel.....very nice rooms.....staff was great......but best thing is how perfect the location is....it's right in the middle of all Salem attractions....free parking right out back....Harry Potter store just down the block....kids got there elder wands :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear tsov1970,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, and that you appreciated our beautiful rooms and excellent staff.

As you mentioned, we guarantee complimentary parking to all of our overnight guests. Because we are within walking distance of all of the city’s many great attractions and shopping area, this is perfect for guests who wish to explore the city. I’m glad that you and your family utilized our great location and had what sounds to have been a fun visit to Salem.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Me and my husband stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel two nights on our way to Cape Cod on July 6/7, 2013. I read many reviews about this hotel through TripAdvisor and decided to book the hotel despite some unfavorable reviews. I am so glad we did! We were greeted by friendly staff from the very beginning, and did not encounter one unhelpful or rude staff member throughout our short stay - this includes the housekeeping staff. Everyone was very accommodating and welcoming. You can see the hotel is being upgraded, but this was actually a positive for us. Our room was comfortable, clean, and overlooked the Salem Witch Museum and other sites. Be sure you read the reviews of the specific rooms the Hawthorne offers because they are very accurate and descriptive. We chose our room based on the descriptions from the web site of the Hawthorne Hotel and were not disappointed. The lobby is very nicely decorated and you feels as though you're taking a step back into history, which was what we were hoping for. I love that the decor is appropriate for the history time-frame in which the hotel was built. We did not eat at the hotel, but walked to different restaurants instead. You can pretty much walk anywhere you want to in Salem, but we did do a trolley tour which was well worth the money. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone!
Bev from Denver

Room Tip: Go to the Hawthorne Hotel's web site and read a description of their rooms. Some rooms overlook...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear BevB1965,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, and that from the moment you arrived you felt welcome by all members of our staff.

As a member of Historic Hotels of America, we embrace our history while still being mindful of the modern needs of our guests. This is why we have recently renovated our rooms and updated them with amenities such as flat screen televisions and iPod docking/charging clock-radios. We also offer complimentary high-speed WiFi throughout the Hotel. I’m pleased that you appreciated both of these aspects of the Hotel during your visit.

Thank you for recommending to fellow Trip Advisor readers that they read descriptions of our many room styles on our website; I’m certain that this detail of your experience will help others when they make a reservation since there is so much detail available there, including the approximate square footage of each room. As you noted, we offer a variety of room styles and sizes. In addition to the descriptions being available online, our front desk team members are also more than happy to discuss our room types when taking a reservation, and will do their best to find the perfect room to suit your needs.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here recently with my family and had a great experience. The rooms were clean and well maintained, and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly; especially those in the tavern. It is in an excellent location by the Salem common, and just a few minutes from the waterfront and harbour area.
A few minutes in the other direction and you are in the main shopping area for any gifts or things you may have forgotten.

The only disappointment is that when we checked out we had to pay on an alternative credit card, as on check in they took a security deposit for the full amount on two rooms to the US credit card; as such we couldn't then pay the full balance on that credit card- and are left with a hefty charge (nearly 250 dollars) on the UK credit card. When we asked at reception if there was a security deposit when we checked in they said there wasn't. This put a real downer on the stay as until we got back to the UK were thought we were the victim of fraud. It would have been better for them to take the security deposit and then pay for any extras. The flight back was a lot more stressful than we would have liked because this was hanging over us.

Overall- an excellent stay, just watch for the deposit when you check in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear antraveller71,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our staff to be so helpful and friendly. Guests are our top priority, and so I’ll be certain to pass along your compliments to our team.

We also are lucky enough to have a very central location in Historic Salem. I am glad to hear that you utilized our proximity to local attractions and shopping in the area.

In regards to the issue with the credit card, our Front Office Manager has reached out to you personally via e-mail. I do apologize that this was an inconvenience for you, and we have taken care of the costs you incurred as a result of the error. As a result of your feedback, we have also changed the way we process security deposits on our computer system to prevent any such future errors from occurring.

Should you return to the area at any point in the future we would love to have you here with us again.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding. The rooms were small but beautifully maintained. The bathrooms were very clean with lovely smelling bath products. The hotel is in a good location, close to the pedestrian street and harbour. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Lovepeanuts,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. As a historic hotel, we pride ourselves on maintaining a charming atmosphere, while still keeping our rooms maintained and updated. I’m pleased to hear that you found your room to be clean and comfortable.

I’m not sure if your breakfast was in one of our function rooms as part of the post-wedding festivities, or in our dining room, Nathaniel’s, but in either case we are glad that you enjoyed meal with us. Our culinary team is well known on the North Shore of Boston for producing consistently excellent food, and our service team is well-training in providing the best attention to our guests.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#2 of 7 in Gloucester
Best Western Plus North Shore Hotel
3 mi away
Wylie Inn and Conference Center

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!