“Hotel with character”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
“Hotel with character”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

There are a few things that kept the stay from being an Excellent, but the biggest is our bias towards Bed and Breakfasts. You can't beat the hospitality of an Innkeeper that doesn't just work there, but owns it and the intimacy that lets you get to know the other guests. That being said the Hawthorne is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are clean, well maintained and nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was tiny, but we kind of expected it and didn't find it to be an issue. I think they have rooms with bigger bathrooms is important to you. We chose the hotel because we couldn't find an available B & B and thought this would be closer to the charm than a big chain hotel and I would say that is very true. The Hotel has a lot of character. We loved the old character with the conveniences you would expect in a chain hotel like wi-fi and nice TV's. I also love that you can open the windows! The staff was friendly enough, although when asking for a place to eat they really encourage you to eat in their restaurants, but I guess that's understandable. Nathaniel's is supposed to be wonderful, but we were in Salem to walk around and wanted to venture out for dinner. The other minor annoyances were no refrigerator in the room and the tavern is REALLY bright. We stopped in for a drink after dinner and they had all the lights turned up all they way. You want a bar that has dim relaxing lighting and as such I didn't feel like the tavern had much of a bar feel, it felt more like you were visiting in someones living room, albeit a big one. We didn't stay beyond the one drink. Finally, one suggestion would be to offer a little social hour before dinner with tea or coffee and a treat like a cookie or something. Most B&B's and some hotels have this. We didn't experience any of the things that others posted in their bad reviews. Overall it was a great choice and felt it beats the chain hotels by a mile! We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Richard D,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Although we are not a B&B, we do strive to offer a similarly warm and welcoming atmosphere in our Hotel. All of our rooms have been individually furnished for a unique charm, and with our guests’ comfort in mind. We also know that our guests need the best modern amenities available to them. This is why our rooms are equipped with flat-screen televisions, iPod docking stations, and why guests are able to access our complimentary Wi-Fi from anywhere in the Hotel.

We can certainly understand why you would wish to venture out into Salem after checking-in. I’m surprised to hear that you found the Tavern to be uncomfortable, as guests tend to love the cozy atmosphere and large, welcoming chairs. If it was after dark, the lights certainly should have been turned down. I will make sure to call this review to the Dining Services Manager’s attention so that we insure this is the normal protocol, and that everyone adheres to it.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

The staff were so welcoming and helpful. We had lunch in the Tavern and the food was excellent and very reasonable. The hotel was very quaint, you felt as if you had stepped back in time, but everything was immaculate. Parking was directly behind the hotel in an open car park. You just needed to display a sign in your vehicle stating that you were staying at the Hawthorne hotel. We only stayed one night because we were touring round New England and Vermont but we would definitely recommend it.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sheryl F,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoyed the historic nature of our Hotel.

I’m not surprised that you enjoyed your lunch in Tavern on the Green, our pub-style restaurant. Our chefs are excellent, and with its oversized chairs and cozy fireplace, the Tavern is always welcoming.

As you mentioned, we guarantee free parking to all of our overnight guests. Because we are located within walking distance of Salem’s many great attractions, this is perfect for guests wishing to explore the city.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

North Conway, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had a great experience right from check in,the staff at the front desk was very helpful,they called my room to check in to see if I was comfortable and even called before I had a delivery sent up to make sure it was ok,I love Salem and this hotel was within walking distance to all the places I wanted to visit.I would definitely and already have recommended this hotel to family and friends.I will stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Kristin B,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m glad that you found our location to be ideal in exploring the city. As you mentioned, we are within walking distance to many of Salem’s great attractions, including the Peabody Essex Museum and the House of the Seven Gables.

I’m also pleased to hear that you found our front desk team to be friendly and attentive, and I will be sure to pass along your kind words to them. Thank you for your recommendation.

Most sincerely,

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Park behind the hotel and walk everywhere! Front desk was very sweet the room was small but it is a historic hotel what do you expect. No ghosts tickling our toes and we ordered room service from Nathaniel's $18 but wow lots of food and it was good!! Would stay here again but will splurge for suit next time

• Stayed June 2013
Dear bumbalough,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned, we are centrally located, and all of Salem’s great attractions are within walking distance from the Hotel. In addition, we offer complimentary parking to our overnight guests, leaving you free to explore the city.

Thank you for also taking the time to leave a comment on the page for our fine dining restaurant, Nathaniel’s. In doing so, you offer a more rounded view of the Hawthorne Hotel experience, which I’m certain will be appreciated by fellow Trip Advisor readers.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best,

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed June 30, 2013

the majestic Hawthorne Hotel is not to miss when coming into Salem, the high ceilings, woodwork and deep carpets put you in a different century.
The rooms are good and clean - but are small

HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear fp81,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased that you enjoyed the historic atmosphere that makes the Hawthorne unique. Our owner is particularly partial to deep-pile carpets on thick padding for a soft feeling underfoot, and a quiet atmosphere. He will be pleased to read of your recognition of this important detail.

Because we are a historic hotel, our rooms do vary in style and size. For your convenience, we offer descriptions of all our room types on our website, with approximate square footage. Our front desk clerks are also more than happy to discuss your room needs when taking a reservation.

Best,

PA
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hawthorne Hotel on a business trip in June and I am so glad I selected this establishment for my stay. Every single employee at the front desk was very friendly, engaging and helpful. They had a lot of nice features that were very convenient for the business traveler, such as free (and good) wireless connection in the rooms and access to a hotel computer with printer (perfect for printing out boarding passes for the flight home). Complimentary coffee is available in the lobby in the morning (by the way, their coffee is AWESOME). Complimentary bottled water is available anytime at the front desk.

I stayed in room 502, which was perfect for me. It was a corner room at the end of the hall and mostly very quite (you could sometimes hear other guests through the vent in the bathroom but no biggie). The room has a queen bed, a desk, and a bathroom with a tub/shower. Although the rooms are a little smaller than your typical modern chain hotel, they feel much more comfortable and inviting. The bed has fluffy pillows and soft thick linens that you just want to curl up into. The bathroom has soft thirsty towels and pleasant smelling toiletries from Pharmecopia. It really felt like a home away from home.

I had dinner one night at the hotel's Tavern on the Green restaurant on the advice of a couple of the staff members at the front desk. I had been thinking about going to The Old Spot across the street, but talking with them they felt that I would like the Tavern better. When I went into the tavern, I met a local who was there to pick up some takeout food and we got to talking. He agreed that the Tavern was a better restaurant and also mentioned a few other dining suggestions (side note: all the local folks I met were so friendly and approachable and willing to offer their suggestions). Anyway, the Tavern was the perfect place for me to dine. I could sit at the bar and have dinner without feeling so awkward dining alone (one of the downsides to busness travel). The food was really good and the bartender and servers were so wecoming and friendly. I went back for dinner there again the very next evening.

Not that I cared, but I'll mention for the traveler that there was no refrigerator, microwave oven or coffee maker in the room. They have refrigerators somewhere in the building that you can rent during your stay. But one really cool feature that came in handy for me was the clock radio that also has an iPod docking station. I had brought my iTouch along for the trip but completely forgot to pack my charging cord. Using their clock radio I was able to keep it charged, listen to my music through the speakers, and even wake up to my music instead of an alarm or a radio station. Seems little, but it was a nice touch for me.

If I am ever visiting the area again, I would probably not consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Discuss what you are looking for with the staff. Everyone working there seems to have a very helpfu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Harleysville_Bill
Dear Harleysville_Bill,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write so comprehensively about your experience with us.

As you noticed during your stay, although we are a historic Hotel, we make it a priority to offer the best modern amenities required by our guests, whether they are here for pleasure or for business. For this reason, we recently had our complimentary Wi-Fi upgraded to increase speed and connectivity. When we installed new flat-panel televisions, we also installed true high-definition programming so that you get the best possible viewing experience from our new television. It is also important to us that our rooms reflect our Hotel’s atmosphere while still providing the highest level of comfort, and it’s lovely to hear that you felt this was a home away from home.

Thank you for also commenting on your experience with our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green. We often receive compliments on our staff for their friendliness and the attention that they offer our guests. I’m glad that they made you feel so comfortable, and that you enjoyed your meal with us enough to visit again during your stay.

While we do not offer refrigerators or coffee machines in our rooms, we do offer guests the opportunity to rent a mini-refrigerator. As you mentioned, we also offer complimentary coffee service for guests in the morning. Guests who would like a cup of coffee later in the day are always welcome to visit our Tavern to receive a complimentary cup of coffee to go—as you said, our coffee is excellent, and so we love to see guests taking advantage of this.

Again, thank you for such a thorough review. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Once again, my husband and I went to the Hawthorne Hotel and it was wonderful as usual.

Juli, the General Manager, was so hospitable and this hotel has never failed us. The professional staff, the food is great, the rooms are comfortable and charming so there is nothing else to say, but come by and see for yourself. You will have a great time.

Jan and Pete B.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jan B
Dear Jan B and Pete B,

It was so nice to see you both here again. Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. As someone who has stayed with us on more than one occasion, your praises about our staff, as well as about our restaurants and rooms, mean all that much more to us.

We hope to welcome you back again soon; it is such a delight to have you visit due to your extraordinary enthusiasm for Salem and the Hawthorne Hotel.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!