“Amenities often overlooked”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a four night stay at the Hawthorne , this was not our first stay and will certainly not be our last. This is a hotel with much character and charm, not only the building but also of the staff who are always willing to help or give suggestions for the many sights in the area. If you are looking for a perfect prefab experience this hotel is not for you, part of the charm of this Historic Hotel are in its imperfections which are few. I have to complement them on the redone bathrooms, the tub is deep enough for a good soak after a long day of walking about town, and the bed and pillows were superb, no waking up with aches from a standard mattress. We love Salem and all it has to offer, all the people are welcome and friendly, you feel as if you are home. Yes we have stayed at the "other" hotel in town, but we did this only because we could not get a room at the Hawthorne. Something about this hotel just makes you want to return and I will admit that we are repeat offenders.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Linda C,

Thank you for your warm review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear from guests who have stayed here on multiple occasions, and who value the Hotel’s unique, historic charm. As you’ve noticed, our bathrooms, along with other areas of the Hotel, have undergone a makeover. We are constantly looking for ways to better our guests’ experiences, and I’m glad that guests are appreciating the improvements.

Thank you, too, for taking the time to compliment our staff who, as you’ve said, are always more than willing to assist guests and offer suggestions for things to do and see in the area. Salem has so much to offer, and we do our best to assist guests in making the most of their time here.

We hope to welcome you and your husband back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Write a ReviewReviews (2,047)

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have stayed at the Hawthorne many many time in our 34 years of marriage, it deserves a review from both of us for our last four night stay and here is mine:
The service at the Hawthorne is expected to be Five Star. Being on the National Historic Hotels Registry, you would have certain expectations and the Hawthorne fills the bill.
Juli the General Manager and Adam the Dining Services Manager have a lot to be proud of with their Staff and when you talk with the Staff you hear something that really can't be taught and that is pride in their work, their understanding of the Hotel, the surrounding area, businesses and things to do while you are in Salem. The Historic Hawthorne Hotel earns it's reputation everyday by the customers who keep coming back.
The food and service in the Tavern is nothing but the best. If I may recommend the Crab Cake Salad or the Turkey Burger for a great Lunch or and evenings Diner, and for breakfast, starting your day at Nathaniel's is worth the reservation.
I have spoken to other guests of the Hotel, in the elevator, the Tavern even out and about Salem who all give the same comment "Oh we'll be back and we'll be staying here at the Hawthorne."

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear PoughkeepsieShaun,

Thank you for your glowing review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It truly makes my morning to read such heartfelt words about our staff. Thank you for recognizing not only Adam, our Dining Services Manager, but our front desk and Tavern team members as well. I’m pleased to be able to pass along your compliments to them.

I’m certain that fellow TripAdvisor readers will also appreciate your menu recommendations for our pub-style restaurant, Tavern on the Green. Nathaniel’s is always a treat for breakfast and dinner, and I wonder if during your many stays with us you and your wife have ever been able to experience our Sunday Jazz Brunch?

Thank you again for taking the time to share your positive experiences with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel and when we got there early we were told our room was not ready but they had another we could check into now which was great.We were also given a wheel chair free of charge to use for the two days the people working at the Hotel are so nice and helpful there was a Wedding going on and we were above the Ballroom but the noise was very minimul we really liked that it was so close to all the places we wanted to go to and especially like the green awnings it helped up locate the hotel everytime.

Room Tip: We were above the Ballroom and if a Wedding or Function is going on you can hear some music but it w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear sandyc661,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel, and for your compliments to our front desk team. I’ll be certain to pass along your kind words.

As I’m sure you can imagine, with our Grand Ballroom and other beautiful function spaces, we host many weddings here at the Hawthorne. We do our best to make these days special for the bride and groom while still keeping in mind the needs of our other guests, and I’m glad that you did not experience any noise issues.

Our location is always a key factor for those wishing to explore the city. As you stated, we are within a short distance to most of Salem’s great attractions, and our location next to the Common, along with our green awnings, make us easy to find for those unfamiliar with the area.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

we stayed from 19-21 of May on our 14 day new England trip, saw many sights and stayed at alot of hotels. But this Hawthorn Hotel was our personal favorite. Everyone there made us feel home, comfortabul and went above and beyond to make every minute special in this hotel. We was greeted by JULI Lederhaus the General Manager at our beautiful breakfast. We had a little chat and found out that she had also been to Anchorage, AK our home.She took time to thank my husband for his service, since he a soldier. That meant very much for us, plus they also granded us an Miltary rate for the room. And it was sublime quality for such a reasonabul RATE. This is a place we will warmly recomment and try to revisite an soon as possibul.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear 1Pucky,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We strive for comfort and quality in all aspects of the Hotel, and it is such a pleasure to hear from guests that they felt at home here. I’m glad that we were able to make your stay with us so special.

It was great to meet and speak with you and your husband in Nathaniel’s while you were enjoying your meal. I do have a soft place in my heart for the people and places of Alaska, having spent 14 years living there. While I realize it is a long way to travel, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We are currently in the middle of a week-long stay at the Hawthorne Hotel during our first trip to the Salem/Boston area.

First, the location of the hotel is perfect- a 30 minute drive or train ride from Boston or Cape Ann and in the quiet heart of Salem. Everything is within walking distance. Next to the hotel is a large square with great walking paths, a small war memorial, and a small playground.

We arrived around 12:30pm the first day and were allowed to check in immediately without question despite the check in time normally being 4pm. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. The hotel lobby is beautifully and classically decorated and comfortably furnished, with fresh flowers, many available newspapers, and great coffee in the mornings.

Our room isn't incredibly spacious but is more than comfortable with a king-size bed, a chair, a large dresser/desk, bedside tables, a small closet and a small bathroom. The window overlooks the town. The room is impeccably clean and the housekeeping staff does a fantastic job each day. Every staff member we have interacted with been unfailingly polite and more than willing to help or answer questions.

When we arrived the first day some work was being done in the room below ours (which we later discovered was a sudden, unexpected nightmare for the hotel over a fully booked weekend). It was slightly noisy at times but the repairs were obviously done with current hotel guests in mind- work was done between roughly 11am and 3pm and this large job was completed quickly by the following day.

Now for the restaurants... We've eaten at both restaurants in the hotel- Nathaniel's and the Tavern on the Green.

Every morning we've eaten breakfast at Nathaniel's. The breakfast menu is fairly large and reasonably priced. On Sundays they have a buffet, but we haven't had the opportunity to try this yet. The dinner we had at Nathaniel's was delicious, the lamb and the fish are wonderful and the waitress was friendly and perfectly attentive.

My favorite is the Tavern on the Green. The service is quick and welcoming, the food is great, and again, reasonably priced for the quality and quantity. Many of the tables have large, comfortable chairs, and I can only imagine how delightful the fireplace must feel during the winter. I highly recommend the Tavern.

On top of everything, we've spoken multiple times with the general manager Juli as she frequently rounds on tables at Nathaniel's during breakfast. She is incredibly knowledgeable about the hotel and the area and doesn't hesitate to whip out her smart phone, check the weather forecast for you, and make suggestions for appropriate area attractions for the day or week. Juli also makes it clear that she runs a tight ship and any comments or concerns you have will be addressed immediately and to your satisfaction. We mentioned the small amount of noise from the work being done on the room below ours and Juli was quick to apologize for the inconvenience and offered free passes to the incredible Peabody Essex Museum just down the street from the hotel and gave us some great insider tips! Five-star service.

As small side notes, the exercise room is rather small and is located on the second floor, which is the smoking floor. So for a nonsmoker, it can be slightly unpleasant to walk out of the exercise room to sharply inhale a lungful of stale smoke. On the plus side, the hotel does offer guests free passes to the YMCA a few blocks away for a more thorough smoke-free workout, though we admittedly have yet to use it. Also, though it doesn't bother us in the slightest and we knew this before booking, the hotel doesn't have a pool or jacuzzi on site. Not that it isn't child friendly, but families with smaller children may want to know ahead of time that there isn't a lot of space in the hotel for kids to burn off energy.

As for us, we have been thrilled with our experience at the Hawthorne Hotel, we appreciate everything the staff has done to make our stay so pleasant, and are looking forward to the rest of the week!

Room Tip: Call when booking and ask for exactly what you need. They are very accommodating.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheTravelingPotato

Dear Monica B,

Thank you for taking the time to offer such a comprehensive review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We love to hear from guests who have experienced all aspects of the Hotel, and I’m sure that other Trip Advisor readers will appreciate as much as we do your taking the time to detail your stay.

As you have obviously noticed, guests are our top priority at the Hawthorne. Though it is unfortunate that your stay coincided with repairs to the room below yours, I’m glad that our maintenance team was able to complete their work efficiently and with as little disruption as possible. I’m pleased, too, that you found other members of our team to be welcoming and accommodating of your needs. Thank you for recognizing the dedication of not only our front desk and restaurant staff members, but also of our housekeeping staff.

It was a pleasure speaking with you this week. I hope that you enjoyed the Peabody Essex Museum and other sites around town. We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed recently at this gracious Salem gem for a reunion weekend. What a delightful time we had, in spite of the extremely wet and stormy weather Friday afternoon and evening. The entire check-in process was handled beautifully and graciously by the front desk, and our room was lovely, spacious, spotless and equipped with 1.5 baths - what a treat! We ate at the Tavern Friday noon and Friday night, and the meals and service were excellent (thank you, Emily and Angie!). On Saturday evening, we ate at the elegant Nathaniel's, and had a fabulous dinner with friends. Our server was quietly efficient, attentive and helpful, and the piano playing added even more ambience to an already lovely setting. Everything was so comfortable and accommodating! And special kudos for the delicious coffee each morning! We have stayed at the Inn many times through the years, and it seems to be constantly refining and improving what has always been a charming, superior and quintessential New England inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the common on the Square - lovely view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Sara M,

Your headline certainly says it all! Thank you for your thorough review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We love to hear from our guests, especially those who have taken the opportunity to experience all aspects of our Hotel and restaurants.

I’m so pleased to hear that you and your husband had nothing but pleasant experiences from the moment you checked in and that you found the service and food in both the Tavern and Nathaniel’s to be excellent. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to Emily and Angie, as well as to the rest of our team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Beautiful property. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring each of the rooms on the first and second floors and looking at the pictures and area furniture. I particularly enjoyed all of the old fixtures and brass throughout the hotel as well as the flouring. My room was a corner room on 3rd floor overlooking Salem Commons. I had 3 windows including one in my bathroom. I loved the windows and the corner room. WARNING: my room was very very small. My king bed pretty much took up the whole room. My closet was basically non existent. Good thing I traveled alone and light and so the room and the closet were just fine for me. My room was not at all spacious but I loved it. If you have need for a large closet or a bigger room, let the staff know when you book the room. The rooms are unique and some have up to 3 closets and the size of each of the rooms is different too. Cons: no easy stair access. One stair case only allowed access from 3-6. Another stair case only allowed access from 3 to 2 and then you had to traverse a whole floor, through SMOKE (yes, they allow smoking on floor 2), to get to the stair case from 2 to 1. Ice Machine is in a stair well on one side of the building and no coffee makers, refrigerators or safes in the rooms. Pros: Well located, plenty of coffee in lobby all morning and free wi fi throughout hotel and in rooms.

Room Tip: If you need a bigger closet space, be sure to let staff know that when you book your room. Some room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear BetsyBPhoenix,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Hawthorne Hotel. As an historic Hotel, we strive to offer a welcoming atmosphere to our guests that encompasses the era in which the Hawthorne was built. In addition, each of rooms is individually furnished for a unique charm. I’m glad that you embraced this aspect of our Hotel and took the opportunity to explore and enjoy our history.

We appreciate your taking the time to learn more about our differing room types, and the fact that you shared that information with other TripAdvisor readers will be very helpful to those other travelers. Thank you again for that.

We do offer smoking as well as non-smoking rooms, and the second floor is a smoking floor. For guests who do not wish to cross the second floor to access the staircase, we have two elevators to bring you to the lobby.

Should you decide to stay with us again, please know that we do offer a refrigerator for a small fee. Just mention when you call to book your reservation and we can take care of it for you. We also offer our guests a complimentary coffee service in the lobby from 5:30am until 11am, and registered guests are able to obtain complimentary coffee and tea “to go” from our Tavern on the Green restaurant when the coffee service is unavailable. We find that the majority of our guests appreciate not having to make their own coffee, and of being assured of getting fresh milk and cream for their coffee (instead of that artificial stuff that in-room coffee services have to offer) so that all in all, our approach to coffee service is an upgrade.

We do offer safe deposit boxes at the front desk of the hotel should you need one, and there is no charge for this service.

Thank you again for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
The Hotel Salem
The Hotel Salem
#3 of 3 in Salem
Boston Marriott Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Four Points by Sheraton Wakefield Boston Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!