“made our vstay in salem outstanding”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
“made our vstay in salem outstanding”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

we stayed from 19-21 of May on our 14 day new England trip, saw many sights and stayed at alot of hotels. But this Hawthorn Hotel was our personal favorite. Everyone there made us feel home, comfortabul and went above and beyond to make every minute special in this hotel. We was greeted by JULI Lederhaus the General Manager at our beautiful breakfast. We had a little chat and found out that she had also been to Anchorage, AK our home.She took time to thank my husband for his service, since he a soldier. That meant very much for us, plus they also granded us an Miltary rate for the room. And it was sublime quality for such a reasonabul RATE. This is a place we will warmly recomment and try to revisite an soon as possibul.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear 1Pucky,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We strive for comfort and quality in all aspects of the Hotel, and it is such a pleasure to hear from guests that they felt at home here. I’m glad that we were able to make your stay with us so special.

It was great to meet and speak with you and your husband in Nathaniel’s while you were enjoying your meal. I do have a soft place in my heart for the people and places of Alaska, having spent 14 years living there. While I realize it is a long way to travel, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Turkish first
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We are currently in the middle of a week-long stay at the Hawthorne Hotel during our first trip to the Salem/Boston area.

First, the location of the hotel is perfect- a 30 minute drive or train ride from Boston or Cape Ann and in the quiet heart of Salem. Everything is within walking distance. Next to the hotel is a large square with great walking paths, a small war memorial, and a small playground.

We arrived around 12:30pm the first day and were allowed to check in immediately without question despite the check in time normally being 4pm. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. The hotel lobby is beautifully and classically decorated and comfortably furnished, with fresh flowers, many available newspapers, and great coffee in the mornings.

Our room isn't incredibly spacious but is more than comfortable with a king-size bed, a chair, a large dresser/desk, bedside tables, a small closet and a small bathroom. The window overlooks the town. The room is impeccably clean and the housekeeping staff does a fantastic job each day. Every staff member we have interacted with been unfailingly polite and more than willing to help or answer questions.

When we arrived the first day some work was being done in the room below ours (which we later discovered was a sudden, unexpected nightmare for the hotel over a fully booked weekend). It was slightly noisy at times but the repairs were obviously done with current hotel guests in mind- work was done between roughly 11am and 3pm and this large job was completed quickly by the following day.

Now for the restaurants... We've eaten at both restaurants in the hotel- Nathaniel's and the Tavern on the Green.

Every morning we've eaten breakfast at Nathaniel's. The breakfast menu is fairly large and reasonably priced. On Sundays they have a buffet, but we haven't had the opportunity to try this yet. The dinner we had at Nathaniel's was delicious, the lamb and the fish are wonderful and the waitress was friendly and perfectly attentive.

My favorite is the Tavern on the Green. The service is quick and welcoming, the food is great, and again, reasonably priced for the quality and quantity. Many of the tables have large, comfortable chairs, and I can only imagine how delightful the fireplace must feel during the winter. I highly recommend the Tavern.

On top of everything, we've spoken multiple times with the general manager Juli as she frequently rounds on tables at Nathaniel's during breakfast. She is incredibly knowledgeable about the hotel and the area and doesn't hesitate to whip out her smart phone, check the weather forecast for you, and make suggestions for appropriate area attractions for the day or week. Juli also makes it clear that she runs a tight ship and any comments or concerns you have will be addressed immediately and to your satisfaction. We mentioned the small amount of noise from the work being done on the room below ours and Juli was quick to apologize for the inconvenience and offered free passes to the incredible Peabody Essex Museum just down the street from the hotel and gave us some great insider tips! Five-star service.

As small side notes, the exercise room is rather small and is located on the second floor, which is the smoking floor. So for a nonsmoker, it can be slightly unpleasant to walk out of the exercise room to sharply inhale a lungful of stale smoke. On the plus side, the hotel does offer guests free passes to the YMCA a few blocks away for a more thorough smoke-free workout, though we admittedly have yet to use it. Also, though it doesn't bother us in the slightest and we knew this before booking, the hotel doesn't have a pool or jacuzzi on site. Not that it isn't child friendly, but families with smaller children may want to know ahead of time that there isn't a lot of space in the hotel for kids to burn off energy.

As for us, we have been thrilled with our experience at the Hawthorne Hotel, we appreciate everything the staff has done to make our stay so pleasant, and are looking forward to the rest of the week!

Room Tip: Call when booking and ask for exactly what you need. They are very accommodating.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheTravelingPotato
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Monica B,

Thank you for taking the time to offer such a comprehensive review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We love to hear from guests who have experienced all aspects of the Hotel, and I’m sure that other Trip Advisor readers will appreciate as much as we do your taking the time to detail your stay.

As you have obviously noticed, guests are our top priority at the Hawthorne. Though it is unfortunate that your stay coincided with repairs to the room below yours, I’m glad that our maintenance team was able to complete their work efficiently and with as little disruption as possible. I’m pleased, too, that you found other members of our team to be welcoming and accommodating of your needs. Thank you for recognizing the dedication of not only our front desk and restaurant staff members, but also of our housekeeping staff.

It was a pleasure speaking with you this week. I hope that you enjoyed the Peabody Essex Museum and other sites around town. We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Wakefield, MA
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed recently at this gracious Salem gem for a reunion weekend. What a delightful time we had, in spite of the extremely wet and stormy weather Friday afternoon and evening. The entire check-in process was handled beautifully and graciously by the front desk, and our room was lovely, spacious, spotless and equipped with 1.5 baths - what a treat! We ate at the Tavern Friday noon and Friday night, and the meals and service were excellent (thank you, Emily and Angie!). On Saturday evening, we ate at the elegant Nathaniel's, and had a fabulous dinner with friends. Our server was quietly efficient, attentive and helpful, and the piano playing added even more ambience to an already lovely setting. Everything was so comfortable and accommodating! And special kudos for the delicious coffee each morning! We have stayed at the Inn many times through the years, and it seems to be constantly refining and improving what has always been a charming, superior and quintessential New England inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the common on the Square - lovely view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Sara M,

Your headline certainly says it all! Thank you for your thorough review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We love to hear from our guests, especially those who have taken the opportunity to experience all aspects of our Hotel and restaurants.

I’m so pleased to hear that you and your husband had nothing but pleasant experiences from the moment you checked in and that you found the service and food in both the Tavern and Nathaniel’s to be excellent. I will be certain to pass along your compliments to Emily and Angie, as well as to the rest of our team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Phoenix
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Beautiful property. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring each of the rooms on the first and second floors and looking at the pictures and area furniture. I particularly enjoyed all of the old fixtures and brass throughout the hotel as well as the flouring. My room was a corner room on 3rd floor overlooking Salem Commons. I had 3 windows including one in my bathroom. I loved the windows and the corner room. WARNING: my room was very very small. My king bed pretty much took up the whole room. My closet was basically non existent. Good thing I traveled alone and light and so the room and the closet were just fine for me. My room was not at all spacious but I loved it. If you have need for a large closet or a bigger room, let the staff know when you book the room. The rooms are unique and some have up to 3 closets and the size of each of the rooms is different too. Cons: no easy stair access. One stair case only allowed access from 3-6. Another stair case only allowed access from 3 to 2 and then you had to traverse a whole floor, through SMOKE (yes, they allow smoking on floor 2), to get to the stair case from 2 to 1. Ice Machine is in a stair well on one side of the building and no coffee makers, refrigerators or safes in the rooms. Pros: Well located, plenty of coffee in lobby all morning and free wi fi throughout hotel and in rooms.

Room Tip: If you need a bigger closet space, be sure to let staff know that when you book your room. Some room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear BetsyBPhoenix,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Hawthorne Hotel. As an historic Hotel, we strive to offer a welcoming atmosphere to our guests that encompasses the era in which the Hawthorne was built. In addition, each of rooms is individually furnished for a unique charm. I’m glad that you embraced this aspect of our Hotel and took the opportunity to explore and enjoy our history.

We appreciate your taking the time to learn more about our differing room types, and the fact that you shared that information with other TripAdvisor readers will be very helpful to those other travelers. Thank you again for that.

We do offer smoking as well as non-smoking rooms, and the second floor is a smoking floor. For guests who do not wish to cross the second floor to access the staircase, we have two elevators to bring you to the lobby.

Should you decide to stay with us again, please know that we do offer a refrigerator for a small fee. Just mention when you call to book your reservation and we can take care of it for you. We also offer our guests a complimentary coffee service in the lobby from 5:30am until 11am, and registered guests are able to obtain complimentary coffee and tea “to go” from our Tavern on the Green restaurant when the coffee service is unavailable. We find that the majority of our guests appreciate not having to make their own coffee, and of being assured of getting fresh milk and cream for their coffee (instead of that artificial stuff that in-room coffee services have to offer) so that all in all, our approach to coffee service is an upgrade.

We do offer safe deposit boxes at the front desk of the hotel should you need one, and there is no charge for this service.

Thank you again for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Salem, MA
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Hawthorne hotel is a real prize. It graces our town and preserves memories of 1920s’ elegance and of Old Salem with wonderful photographs from olden times on the lobby and dining room walls. We always put our guests up there and they relish the stay. Their lobby is a welcoming home living room. My wife and I often eat an informal lunch or supper in the cozy Tavern. Their chefs are excellent; they even provide elegant meals and service for the nearby Peabody Essex Museum dining room. The hotel borders the Salem Common (a large park) with surrounding elegant old homes, a great playground for the kiddies, and a circumferential 1/2-mile walking-jogging path.
hb-Salem resident

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear HalevSalem_MA,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It’s such a pleasure to hear from guests who have experienced all aspects of the Hotel and share those experiences with us. As someone who is obviously quite familiar with us and with the area, we appreciate your kind sentiments all that much more, and I’m certain that other Trip Advisor readers will as well.

I’m glad that you and your wife recommend us to your guests, and that you enjoy dining with us regularly. I’ll be happy to pass along your compliments to the Tavern staff, as well as to our chefs.

We hope to see you again soon.

Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have to say this is one of the very best hotels that I have seen . I travel all over the world and am lucky enough to have a business and a home right across the street from this Hotel ! The food is great and Adam is so nice and always so fast and helpful. I recommend may of my client's to this establishment and they just rave about it! I have owned Crow Haven Corner for many years and I give this Hotel a 5 star!

Room Tip: Get the breakfast ...
Dear CrowHavenCorner,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. Thank you so much for recognizing Adam as someone who gives you superior service.

As a neighbor of the Hotel and as an experienced traveler, we truly appreciate your recommendation of our Hotel and Tavern restaurant to your clients and to fellow Trip Advisor readers.

We appreciate all the business you give us personally and that which you send our way.

Salem, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had to give 5 stars. This place is simply amazing. Let me start out by saying I am not a tourist, I have lived in Salem for about three years now and always wanted to go into the Hawthorne but never had an excuse. It is gorgeous! Recently my house caught on fire. I did not know what to do or where to go. I have two cats and called many hotels in the area who did not have a pet friendly room available. Finally, I found the Hawthorne. Everyone I have dealt with has been so nice. Even the general manager Juli Lederhaus, came over to our table at breakfast to chat with us. She soon learned about why we were there and bought us our entire breakfast! It was such a nice and unexpected gesture. Because we arrived on a Wednesday they had already book the room we were in for the weekend. (It is tourist season) They were going to move us into the guest house, but my main concern was my cats and if they could come with us. They are not allowed in the guest house. However, some one pulled strings and it was all set! I could not have been happier they were willing to do that for us. Then, more strings were pulled and we did not have to go to the guest house, just went up a couple floors. It was perfect and not any stress at all. Obviously, after what has happen to my house all I wanted was to have a nice meal and a couple of drinks. That is exactly what I received. Food was amazing and drinks were even better! So, all in all I was sad that I was not at home but I was so happy to stay at the Hawthorne and will recommend it for everyone!

Room Tip: I stayed in two different rooms and I liked the double queen compared to the king size room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Tess M,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m sorry that your visit with us was due to such an unfortunate event, but am glad that we were able to make a difficult time a little easier for you. I hope that you are better situated now.

As you’ve noticed, our guests are our top priority and we do our best to accommodate their needs—and the needs of their pets! It’s great that our front desk team was willing and able to find you a comfortable room, and to make sure you had everything you needed during your stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!