Hawthorne Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Harbor Light Inn(Marblehead)
Econo Lodge(Danvers)
2,068 results
All reviewstavern on the greenbeautiful historic hotelrooms are smallan older hotelhalloween ballwithin walking distancethe general managerfront desk staffthe peabody essex museumtwo queen bedsfree parkingnew englandwitch museumvisiting salemthe publobbywedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Beautiful property. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring each of the rooms on the first and second floors and looking at the pictures and area furniture. I particularly enjoyed all of the old fixtures and brass throughout the hotel as well as the flouring. My room was a corner room on 3rd floor overlooking Salem Commons. I had 3 windows including one in my bathroom. I loved the windows and the corner room. WARNING: my room was very very small. My king bed pretty much took up the whole room. My closet was basically non existent. Good thing I traveled alone and light and so the room and the closet were just fine for me. My room was not at all spacious but I loved it. If you have need for a large closet or a bigger room, let the staff know when you book the room. The rooms are unique and some have up to 3 closets and the size of each of the rooms is different too. Cons: no easy stair access. One stair case only allowed access from 3-6. Another stair case only allowed access from 3 to 2 and then you had to traverse a whole floor, through SMOKE (yes, they allow smoking on floor 2), to get to the stair case from 2 to 1. Ice Machine is in a stair well on one side of the building and no coffee makers, refrigerators or safes in the rooms. Pros: Well located, plenty of coffee in lobby all morning and free wi fi throughout hotel and in rooms.

Room Tip: If you need a bigger closet space, be sure to let staff know that when you book your room. Some rooms have 3 or more closets whereas mine had one that really, wouldn't qualify for 1/2 a closet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear BetsyBPhoenix,

Thank you for your detailed review of the Hawthorne Hotel. As an historic Hotel, we strive to offer a welcoming atmosphere to our guests that encompasses the era in which the Hawthorne was built. In addition, each of rooms is individually furnished for a unique charm. I’m glad that you embraced this aspect of our Hotel and took the opportunity to explore and enjoy our history.

We appreciate your taking the time to learn more about our differing room types, and the fact that you shared that information with other TripAdvisor readers will be very helpful to those other travelers. Thank you again for that.

We do offer smoking as well as non-smoking rooms, and the second floor is a smoking floor. For guests who do not wish to cross the second floor to access the staircase, we have two elevators to bring you to the lobby.

Should you decide to stay with us again, please know that we do offer a refrigerator for a small fee. Just mention when you call to book your reservation and we can take care of it for you. We also offer our guests a complimentary coffee service in the lobby from 5:30am until 11am, and registered guests are able to obtain complimentary coffee and tea “to go” from our Tavern on the Green restaurant when the coffee service is unavailable. We find that the majority of our guests appreciate not having to make their own coffee, and of being assured of getting fresh milk and cream for their coffee (instead of that artificial stuff that in-room coffee services have to offer) so that all in all, our approach to coffee service is an upgrade.

We do offer safe deposit boxes at the front desk of the hotel should you need one, and there is no charge for this service.

Thank you again for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Hawthorne hotel is a real prize. It graces our town and preserves memories of 1920s’ elegance and of Old Salem with wonderful photographs from olden times on the lobby and dining room walls. We always put our guests up there and they relish the stay. Their lobby is a welcoming home living room. My wife and I often eat an informal lunch or supper in the cozy Tavern. Their chefs are excellent; they even provide elegant meals and service for the nearby Peabody Essex Museum dining room. The hotel borders the Salem Common (a large park) with surrounding elegant old homes, a great playground for the kiddies, and a circumferential 1/2-mile walking-jogging path.
hb-Salem resident

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear HalevSalem_MA,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It’s such a pleasure to hear from guests who have experienced all aspects of the Hotel and share those experiences with us. As someone who is obviously quite familiar with us and with the area, we appreciate your kind sentiments all that much more, and I’m certain that other Trip Advisor readers will as well.

I’m glad that you and your wife recommend us to your guests, and that you enjoy dining with us regularly. I’ll be happy to pass along your compliments to the Tavern staff, as well as to our chefs.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have to say this is one of the very best hotels that I have seen . I travel all over the world and am lucky enough to have a business and a home right across the street from this Hotel ! The food is great and Adam is so nice and always so fast and helpful. I recommend may of my client's to this establishment and they just rave about it! I have owned Crow Haven Corner for many years and I give this Hotel a 5 star!

Room Tip: Get the breakfast ...

Dear CrowHavenCorner,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. Thank you so much for recognizing Adam as someone who gives you superior service.

As a neighbor of the Hotel and as an experienced traveler, we truly appreciate your recommendation of our Hotel and Tavern restaurant to your clients and to fellow Trip Advisor readers.

We appreciate all the business you give us personally and that which you send our way.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had to give 5 stars. This place is simply amazing. Let me start out by saying I am not a tourist, I have lived in Salem for about three years now and always wanted to go into the Hawthorne but never had an excuse. It is gorgeous! Recently my house caught on fire. I did not know what to do or where to go. I have two cats and called many hotels in the area who did not have a pet friendly room available. Finally, I found the Hawthorne. Everyone I have dealt with has been so nice. Even the general manager Juli Lederhaus, came over to our table at breakfast to chat with us. She soon learned about why we were there and bought us our entire breakfast! It was such a nice and unexpected gesture. Because we arrived on a Wednesday they had already book the room we were in for the weekend. (It is tourist season) They were going to move us into the guest house, but my main concern was my cats and if they could come with us. They are not allowed in the guest house. However, some one pulled strings and it was all set! I could not have been happier they were willing to do that for us. Then, more strings were pulled and we did not have to go to the guest house, just went up a couple floors. It was perfect and not any stress at all. Obviously, after what has happen to my house all I wanted was to have a nice meal and a couple of drinks. That is exactly what I received. Food was amazing and drinks were even better! So, all in all I was sad that I was not at home but I was so happy to stay at the Hawthorne and will recommend it for everyone!

Room Tip: I stayed in two different rooms and I liked the double queen compared to the king size room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Tess M,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m sorry that your visit with us was due to such an unfortunate event, but am glad that we were able to make a difficult time a little easier for you. I hope that you are better situated now.

As you’ve noticed, our guests are our top priority and we do our best to accommodate their needs—and the needs of their pets! It’s great that our front desk team was willing and able to find you a comfortable room, and to make sure you had everything you needed during your stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel for the second time and it was just as enjoyable as my first visit. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable and very clean. The location of this hotel is superb, as it is the heart of Salem but my favorite part of the Hawthorne are the wonderful amenities provided (the shampoo and conditioner is far and away the best of any hotel I've ever stayed).

I will defiantly visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear htaylor06,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed both of your stays with us, and that you found our staff and our rooms to be so welcoming.

Guests are our number one priority, and so we are always looking for ways in which we can improve their experience. One such way was in a recent change to the amenities we use. We were very excited about the new line, and I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed them!

We hope to see you again soon.