“Great Place”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Salem, MA
“Great Place”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Hawthorne hotel is a real prize. It graces our town and preserves memories of 1920s’ elegance and of Old Salem with wonderful photographs from olden times on the lobby and dining room walls. We always put our guests up there and they relish the stay. Their lobby is a welcoming home living room. My wife and I often eat an informal lunch or supper in the cozy Tavern. Their chefs are excellent; they even provide elegant meals and service for the nearby Peabody Essex Museum dining room. The hotel borders the Salem Common (a large park) with surrounding elegant old homes, a great playground for the kiddies, and a circumferential 1/2-mile walking-jogging path.
hb-Salem resident

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear HalevSalem_MA,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It’s such a pleasure to hear from guests who have experienced all aspects of the Hotel and share those experiences with us. As someone who is obviously quite familiar with us and with the area, we appreciate your kind sentiments all that much more, and I’m certain that other Trip Advisor readers will as well.

I’m glad that you and your wife recommend us to your guests, and that you enjoy dining with us regularly. I’ll be happy to pass along your compliments to the Tavern staff, as well as to our chefs.

We hope to see you again soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Turkish first
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have to say this is one of the very best hotels that I have seen . I travel all over the world and am lucky enough to have a business and a home right across the street from this Hotel ! The food is great and Adam is so nice and always so fast and helpful. I recommend may of my client's to this establishment and they just rave about it! I have owned Crow Haven Corner for many years and I give this Hotel a 5 star!

Room Tip: Get the breakfast ...
Dear CrowHavenCorner,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. Thank you so much for recognizing Adam as someone who gives you superior service.

As a neighbor of the Hotel and as an experienced traveler, we truly appreciate your recommendation of our Hotel and Tavern restaurant to your clients and to fellow Trip Advisor readers.

We appreciate all the business you give us personally and that which you send our way.

Salem, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had to give 5 stars. This place is simply amazing. Let me start out by saying I am not a tourist, I have lived in Salem for about three years now and always wanted to go into the Hawthorne but never had an excuse. It is gorgeous! Recently my house caught on fire. I did not know what to do or where to go. I have two cats and called many hotels in the area who did not have a pet friendly room available. Finally, I found the Hawthorne. Everyone I have dealt with has been so nice. Even the general manager Juli Lederhaus, came over to our table at breakfast to chat with us. She soon learned about why we were there and bought us our entire breakfast! It was such a nice and unexpected gesture. Because we arrived on a Wednesday they had already book the room we were in for the weekend. (It is tourist season) They were going to move us into the guest house, but my main concern was my cats and if they could come with us. They are not allowed in the guest house. However, some one pulled strings and it was all set! I could not have been happier they were willing to do that for us. Then, more strings were pulled and we did not have to go to the guest house, just went up a couple floors. It was perfect and not any stress at all. Obviously, after what has happen to my house all I wanted was to have a nice meal and a couple of drinks. That is exactly what I received. Food was amazing and drinks were even better! So, all in all I was sad that I was not at home but I was so happy to stay at the Hawthorne and will recommend it for everyone!

Room Tip: I stayed in two different rooms and I liked the double queen compared to the king size room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Tess M,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m sorry that your visit with us was due to such an unfortunate event, but am glad that we were able to make a difficult time a little easier for you. I hope that you are better situated now.

As you’ve noticed, our guests are our top priority and we do our best to accommodate their needs—and the needs of their pets! It’s great that our front desk team was willing and able to find you a comfortable room, and to make sure you had everything you needed during your stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel for the second time and it was just as enjoyable as my first visit. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable and very clean. The location of this hotel is superb, as it is the heart of Salem but my favorite part of the Hawthorne are the wonderful amenities provided (the shampoo and conditioner is far and away the best of any hotel I've ever stayed).

I will defiantly visit this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear htaylor06,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed both of your stays with us, and that you found our staff and our rooms to be so welcoming.

Guests are our number one priority, and so we are always looking for ways in which we can improve their experience. One such way was in a recent change to the amenities we use. We were very excited about the new line, and I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed them!

We hope to see you again soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have just recently returned home from a holiday to America. I found this hotel on the web and booked in for the night as we wanted to visit Salem.
We ended up being in Salem earlier than planned so headed to the hotel. We we greeted by warm and friendly staff at reception who said our room was already ready so we checked in. We had a lovely room. Everything was beautiful and clean. The bed was lovely and comfortable.
We ate in the little front bar of the hotel. Food was excellent and so were the staff. You could not ask for a better place to stay, right in the heart of town close to everything. The hotel is really lovely and all the staff we came by were just terrific a great atmosphere. Congratulations Hawthorne Hotel Staff

Room Tip: We payed a little extra for the King Bed and it was worth it
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Denise29_13,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. Guests are our top priority, and I’m pleased to hear that you found our front desk and Tavern on the Green staff members to be so helpful and friendly. I’ll be sure to pass along your kind words to them.

As a historic hotel, we strive to offer a unique, charming atmosphere. Our rooms are all individually furnished and built for comfort, as you seem to have experienced. In addition, as you mentioned, our location is ideal for any type of traveler, placing us within walking distance of Salem’s great attractions.

Again, I’m so glad that you experienced all aspects of your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel on May 19-21, 2013. This was our second trip to Salem, but our first stay at this hotel and we will definitely be back! The staff were very friendly and check in was quick and easy. Our room was on the 6th floor; it was clean, updated and perfect for our needs. We loved that we could open the window for some fresh air. We book their Spring Package - I highly recommend this package! It includes 2 nights, 20% off dinner at Nathaniel's, $30 dining credit at the Tavern, breakfast both mornings, and passes to 3 museums (Peabody Essex Museum, Salem Witch Museum, and the House of the Seven Gables). The hotel is in the perfect location - within walking distance of pretty much everything you would want to see or do in Salem. On our last morning during breakfast, the hotel manager came and spoke with us about our stay - very friendly and not just about selling her hotel. The food is absolutely devine - the stuffed acorn squash is amazing!!! Overall, we loved it and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Apparently the 6th floor has the most haunted action. We were in 618 and didn't experience anyt...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brie2010,

Thank you for your glowing review of the Hawthorne Hotel, and for speaking to so many of the great aspects of your stay with us. Our Spring Getaway Package is certainly a great buy, allowing guests not only to experience the Hotel and our two restaurants, Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s, but also several of the many wonderful attractions that Salem has to offer.

I’m glad that you found your room to be so comfortable. Although we are a historic hotel, all of our rooms have been updated, as you mentioned, and are equipped with modern necessities to accommodate the needs of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel at least 8 times! My son just graduated from Montserrat College of Art in Beverly. Salem is only a town over and every time I go I book to stay in this Hotel! I LOVE this hotel! Friendly staff, accommodating, clean & classy. My son is now residing in Beverly therefore, I will be returning to The Hawthorne! Salem is loaded with history & so is the Historic Hotel. I feel at home here.

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room! I typically love the Queen sized four poster beds! Roomy...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear SU-ORANGE,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so pleased that we can serve as your home away from home while you visit your son.

As someone who has stayed with us so many times, you really were able to capture many of the great aspects of the Hotel, from our comfortable rooms to our fantastic staff. We also have two restaurants located within the Hotel. I wonder if during your many stays you have experienced our Sunday Jazz Brunch? It is a weekly, three-course brunch with live jazz music, and is always a hit among guests and locals alike!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!