Hawthorne Hotel
$249
The Hotel Salem(Salem)(Great Value!)
$189
Residence Inn
Econo Lodge(Danvers)
TripAdvisor
2,066 results
All reviewstavern on the greenbeautiful historic hotelrooms are smallan older hotelhalloween ballwithin walking distancethe general managerfront desk staffthe peabody essex museumtwo queen bedsfree parkingnew englandwitch museumvisiting salemthe publobbywedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a road trip through some of the Atlantic States. We really didn't know anything about it, other than it's location and how old it was.

I'm not a big fan of old hotels. I'm more of a modern luxury type of traveller. There's my bias up front. I almost expected another run down hotel like the Waldorf: Astoria with wallpaper peeling off the walls, stained bed sheets, worn out chairs, etc.

I will state, straight up front, that none of this was true. The room was impeccable, obviously extremely well taken care of. Everything was meticulously clean and quite charming, albeit rather small by any standard for a king size room. Even the wallpaper was still firmly stuck to the wall and wasn't miserably stained, faded and decrepit. The bed afforded a comfortable sleep, albeit a tad too firm. A pillow top would have been more to my liking, but still it was sufficient.

The lobby was quite fantastic as well. I could almost envision early 20th century guests wandering through. I didn't care for the loud, obnoxious wedding with the typical horrible music that only gets played at such events, but I wasn't camping in the lobby either. I freely admit that prevented me from exploring any of the restaurants or other amenities on site.

The staff were excellent and accomodating. The walls are very thin. You can hear just about every noise from neighboring rooms. We happened to be next to a bunch of young, hyperactive brats yelling and screaming. A call down to staff and the problem was addressed immediately in a very impressive and efficient manner.

Another thing I liked was the location. It's literally right across the street from most of the action, shops and attractions. I loved that part as we went to Salem specifically to learn more about the history of the city and everything was in a few minutes' walking distance. Great food was only minutes away.

Finally the rate was very reasonable. I suppose anything other than Halloween is considered off season for them, but the rate was spot on that of hotels of far less character, history and class.

I had a few small "complaints". First, no microwave or fridge. The microwave I can actually do without, but the fridge not. In warmer months I really need somewhere to keep beverages cool. That to me was a huge oversight and not excusable. They had complimentary coffee and tea in one of the restaurants which is fine, but nothing in the room. For the space a pot takes up and the convenience it affords the guests this isn't excusable either. As well they need a concierge. The young lady at the front desk was just making stuff up rather than saying "I don't know" and that's frustrating. A concierge that is well versed in the happenings and culture of the area is a must for a hotel, especially one like this.

We stayed on the sixth floor. We had one odd occurence that happened in the middle of the night but that was quite pleasing and rather what I had hoped for. They offer rapid checkout which to me is a must.

All in all I would happily stay here again and certainly recommend it to those travelling to the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear lovetowineanddine,

Thank you for offering such a thoughtful, detailed review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m so pleased that you found our historic hotel to meet your standards. The number of TripAdvisor reviews you have written shows a level of experience and a valued perspective that I’m sure will be appreciated by other guests.

Our guests are always our number-one priority, and so our hotel offers a charming, historic atmosphere with modern amenities to meet their needs. Our rooms are individually furnished, adding to the Hotel’s character, and we are sure that each one is well looked after. I’m sorry that you were not able to try either of our two restaurants, as I’m sure you would have found them just as pleasant.

I’m glad that our staff was able to handle your noise situation quickly and to your satisfaction. I will be sure to pass along your kind words.

In an effort to improve what we do,I would ask that, if possible, you contact me directly to let me know who you spoke with at the front desk that was unable to properly help you with your “concierge” questions. We of course want our staff to be able to accommodate guests in all of their needs, and this would provide us the opportunity to offer additional training where necessary. You can call me at 978-744-4080. In any case we have shared your comments with our front office manager.

We hope to welcome you back soon. Thank you again for your excellent commentary.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times. This beautiful historic hotel is the perfect location to stay when visiting historic Salem. The staff is wonderful, helpful and efficient. The hotel building brings you back in time. Rooms are clean, comfortable and roomy enough to hang around in as you take a break from outdoor touring. Restaurants serve good food with friendly wait staff. So many wonderful things to see and do within walking distance of the hotel. Staff is more than willing to help you locate places of interest. We park the car for the week and roam the area on foot. We love it!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny Windows open for wonderful fresh air breezes
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Mary R,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We absolutely love to hear kind words about our staff, and you had so many to share! I’ll be sure to pass along your thoughts to our front desk and restaurant teams.

Both of our restaurants are a bit hit with guests and locals alike, with the Tavern’s cozy atmosphere and Nathaniel’s fine dining. I’m glad that after all your exploring of the great attractions Salem has to offer, that you found our restaurants and your room to be so comfortable and welcoming.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed one night with my sister-in-law and a friend in a lovely room, very clean, large comfortable beds. Service was efficient and friendly. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurants but room service was very good in the morning. The bathroom was quite small but very clean. The hotel's central location is a big plus. We found it very enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Victoria G,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased to hear that you found our rooms to be so comfortable, and that room service was a treat.

I’m sure if you find yourself staying with us, you’ll enjoy dining at one or both of our two restaurants as well!

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was in Salem for a dear friends wedding, but as I told my friends relatives I am the problem child, who needed special food and a place close enough to be able to walk to the wedding, help opening the door to my room on Saturday, etc. Well my first contact with the Hawthorne was Elizabeth when I booked my room and she was great she immediately explained that they were more than willing to help with the frig and the door and that the wedding was right across the street. No truer words were spoken, the front desk staff was great, directions, water, walking up two flights of stairs with me and letting me in the room. I had a great corner room, two windows and a beautiful view. Room was small but cozy, and more than big enough for me. Jess, Dilya, Melissa, Leah, Abraham and Andy were great help. thanks so much for making my stay so wonderful and helping to make the wedding great.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Anne W,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. Guests are always our top priority here, and it made my day to hear that our staff was so helpful and eager to accommodate your special needs. I’ll be sure to pass along your kind words to all of them.

The Hawthorne is of course centrally located within Salem, and so many of the city’s venues and attractions are within walking distance. I’m glad that with our being located across the street from your friend’s wedding that you were able to find your way there easily and have such a wonderful time.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

BeautifuL Rooms, Friendly Staff, Fabulous Restaurants, And Right In The Heart Of This Historic And Beautiful City!Even If You Are Just Passing Through Salem, A Stop At One Of The Restaurants Is Suggested, Amazing Food! If You're Visiting In October, Get Your Tickets For The Witches Ball!!

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear WelshWitch27,

Thank you for your short but succinct review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It’s always a pleasure to hear from guests who have experienced and enjoy all aspects of what we have to offer.

As you noticed, our two restaurants, the Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s, are always popular among guests and locals alike, and of course, our Annual Halloween Party is always a treat! Just as a point of clarification, the annual Witches Ball is an event hosted by an outside third party and it is not the annual Halloween Party that the Hawthorne Hotel puts on. Both parties are in high demand, so your advice to get tickets early is always good advice. Our tickets will be on sale by June 1. If you need an assistance, you can always call the hotel at 978-744-4080 and we will be happy to explain and give directions for obtaining tickets the local area events.

We hope to welcome you back soon.