“Salem a Terrific Take-in”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times. This beautiful historic hotel is the perfect location to stay when visiting historic Salem. The staff is wonderful, helpful and efficient. The hotel building brings you back in time. Rooms are clean, comfortable and roomy enough to hang around in as you take a break from outdoor touring. Restaurants serve good food with friendly wait staff. So many wonderful things to see and do within walking distance of the hotel. Staff is more than willing to help you locate places of interest. We park the car for the week and roam the area on foot. We love it!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny Windows open for wonderful fresh air breezes
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Mary R,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We absolutely love to hear kind words about our staff, and you had so many to share! I’ll be sure to pass along your thoughts to our front desk and restaurant teams.

Both of our restaurants are a bit hit with guests and locals alike, with the Tavern’s cozy atmosphere and Nathaniel’s fine dining. I’m glad that after all your exploring of the great attractions Salem has to offer, that you found our restaurants and your room to be so comfortable and welcoming.

We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hawthorne Hotel

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed one night with my sister-in-law and a friend in a lovely room, very clean, large comfortable beds. Service was efficient and friendly. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurants but room service was very good in the morning. The bathroom was quite small but very clean. The hotel's central location is a big plus. We found it very enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Victoria G,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. I’m pleased to hear that you found our rooms to be so comfortable, and that room service was a treat.

I’m sure if you find yourself staying with us, you’ll enjoy dining at one or both of our two restaurants as well!

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was in Salem for a dear friends wedding, but as I told my friends relatives I am the problem child, who needed special food and a place close enough to be able to walk to the wedding, help opening the door to my room on Saturday, etc. Well my first contact with the Hawthorne was Elizabeth when I booked my room and she was great she immediately explained that they were more than willing to help with the frig and the door and that the wedding was right across the street. No truer words were spoken, the front desk staff was great, directions, water, walking up two flights of stairs with me and letting me in the room. I had a great corner room, two windows and a beautiful view. Room was small but cozy, and more than big enough for me. Jess, Dilya, Melissa, Leah, Abraham and Andy were great help. thanks so much for making my stay so wonderful and helping to make the wedding great.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Anne W,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. Guests are always our top priority here, and it made my day to hear that our staff was so helpful and eager to accommodate your special needs. I’ll be sure to pass along your kind words to all of them.

The Hawthorne is of course centrally located within Salem, and so many of the city’s venues and attractions are within walking distance. I’m glad that with our being located across the street from your friend’s wedding that you were able to find your way there easily and have such a wonderful time.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

BeautifuL Rooms, Friendly Staff, Fabulous Restaurants, And Right In The Heart Of This Historic And Beautiful City!Even If You Are Just Passing Through Salem, A Stop At One Of The Restaurants Is Suggested, Amazing Food! If You're Visiting In October, Get Your Tickets For The Witches Ball!!

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear WelshWitch27,

Thank you for your short but succinct review of the Hawthorne Hotel. It’s always a pleasure to hear from guests who have experienced and enjoy all aspects of what we have to offer.

As you noticed, our two restaurants, the Tavern on the Green and Nathaniel’s, are always popular among guests and locals alike, and of course, our Annual Halloween Party is always a treat! Just as a point of clarification, the annual Witches Ball is an event hosted by an outside third party and it is not the annual Halloween Party that the Hawthorne Hotel puts on. Both parties are in high demand, so your advice to get tickets early is always good advice. Our tickets will be on sale by June 1. If you need an assistance, you can always call the hotel at 978-744-4080 and we will be happy to explain and give directions for obtaining tickets the local area events.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here this past week for our honeymoon, and loved every moment of our stay! The room was amazing, beautifully decorated, and very clean. The hotel and Tavern staff was very accommodating, courteous, and helpful at all hours of the day and night.

The food at the Tavern was fantastic, and the staff was very friendly; we ate there multiple times during our stay! Nathaniel's food was great, however the service was lacking and the wait staff was very rude. However, when we expressed these concerns to the front desk, a manager was promptly brought over to chat with us, and even offered us the next day's breakfast on the house.

Also, the front desk staff was especially nice. The front desk staff was always courteous and friendly, always offering to help with recommendations on places to eat and offering directions and maps when needed. We didn't feel like just another customer to them; they actually remembered us by name and room number! Best service we've had anywhere.

Our room was beautiful and clean. We could not have asked for anything better. We'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Salem.

Room Tip: Opt for a corner suite. It's beautiful, very sunny, and has fantastic views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Amy A,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel, and congratulations to you and your husband! Although all of our rooms are cozy and clean, the corner suites, as you mentioned, are always lovely and perfect for honeymooning couples.

I’m surprised to hear of the service you received at Nathaniel’s, but I’m glad that our manager handled the situation immediately. I hope that you enjoyed your breakfast the next morning.

We are so pleased that you had only kind words for the rest of our staff. I’ll be sure to pass along your compliments to our front desk and Tavern teams.

We hope to welcome you and your husband back again soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel for a conference and found it to be a very nice, even quaint hotel. The rooms were nice and the staff was very, very nice. Nevertheless, since we do not carry items like shampoo and conditioner with us when we fly (due to TSA restrictions), we count on hotels to provide these items in mini size; however, the ones provided at the Hawthorne were mini-mini size and housekeeping failed to provide more on consecutive days. Also, the hotel would benefit from having an on-sight gift shop (it rained most of the time we were there and wanted to buy souvenirs). Apart from that, we enjoyed the lovely lobby area and the food at the Tavern was good. For Paula who complained about noisy people up and down the halls and stairs all night - had she not heard that the hotel is supposedly haunted (in particular, the 6th floor)?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear rpo219,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. As a historic hotel, our guests often compliment the charming atmosphere of our lobby and our rooms. The Tavern, too, offers a welcoming ambiance, and I’m glad that you enjoyed the food. Thank you so much for pointing out that your business trip turned in to a pleasure trip because of your time with us here at the Hawthorne Hotel.

We are certainly concerned to learn that you did not receive replacement amenities, and would be interested to know if you notified the front desk of the situation? We are always happy to provide more of such necessities to our guests. In addition, alerting the front desk would make sure that the particular housekeeper in question received some additional training and coaching in doing her job properly. While a hotel room inspector can easily determine if the amenities are missing in a clean and vacant room, it is nearly impossible to tell if this item is missed when inspecting a room that is occupied, as some guests like to take these amenities home as souvenirs, so they sometimes pack them up right away so they don’t forget them.

If you will contact me personally I would be happy to send you the sets that we missed placing in your room. You can email me via info@HawthorneHotel.com or call me at 978-744-4080.

Regarding an on-site gift shop, we use to have one here but found our guests preferred the broad range of shopping opportunities that exist just right outside our doors. Right across the street are Sophia’s Gifts, Remember Salem Gifts, Aroma Sanctum, and Beautiful Things, to name just a few. We also sell postcards, locally relevant books, and a few other gift items right at our front desk.

We do sell umbrellas for rainy days, and even have some you can borrow, so please, when you come back again, give those great shops a try. I’m sure you will be pleased with all they have to offer.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The staff was quick to assist, young and eager to please. The room was smaller than I'd anticipated, but the furniture, flat-screen TV, bed, bathroom, toiletries, were all there, well-organized and clean. I stayed there 4 nights for a large-group meeting, so we used their large hall. It was well-lit and the service was top-notch for speed, cleanliness and delicious and plentiful food. The Tavern, their bar/restaurant, got great reviews from my colleagues. I ate there at lunch and ordered a delicious salad and seafood chowder. The Hawthorne is well located in Salem for the walking tourist.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear James P,

Thank you for your review of the Hawthorne Hotel. As you noted, although we are a historic hotel, we are sure to offer our guests clean, comfortable rooms with the best modern amenities. In addition to flat-screen TVs in our rooms, we’ve also recently upgraded our Wi-Fi, which has been much appreciated by guests and groups hosting events within the hotel.

I’m glad to hear that you and your colleagues enjoyed our Tavern as well, and I’ll be happy to pass along your kind words about our service and the food to our staff.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!