“We love this hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Westerly, Rhode Island
“We love this hotel”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I found this hotel many years ago. ( We have been together for 35 years). There is something about this property that just makes you feel so welcomed. The rooms are beautifully appointed, the staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. We like dining at Nathaniels as the wait staff and the food is always served hot ( or cold as expected). Through out the years of travelling, and experiencing new places, we always find ourselves coming back here for our respites. It doesn't matter the time of the year, we have been there for all four seasons, and it is always the same gracious hospitality.

Now all these years later, our daughter is getting married and has chosen the Hawthorne for the wedding reception. We are so excited to invite all of our family and guests to this wonderful place, that we have enjoyed throughout the years!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Maura L:

It is so nice to have customers like you and your husband. We are absolutely delighted with this review and cannot thank you enough.

You touched on so many areas of a guest’s stay, creating a wonderful word picture that will be so helpful to other travelers.

In addition, the fact that your daughter is planning her wedding reception here adds even more layers of credibility to your views of the hotel – we are certain without your strong recommendation to her, that she would have never done this.

You have, as you note, staying here in every season, so you know how things change. I am certain that this will be a highly praised review. Thank you again so very much.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Turkish first
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel for 4 nights last May on the way to her 50th college reunion. What a wonderful way to start a New England vacation! One hotel entrance is opposite a square with a statue of Hawthorne in the center of it. Another entrance is directly acrosss from a cluster of historical homes which have been preserved by the excellent historical museum nearby.

Our room was comfortable, clean, and charming.. The staff were congenial and helpful, And a big plus is the hotel's restaurant--Nathaniel's. We ate there for convenience the first night. Itt was so excellent that we ended up having dinner there all of the nights we were in Salem. Our favorite dish was the baked Haddock.

In every respect, the Hawthorne is an extremely well-run hotel. Douglas Ayer, Palo Alto, CA.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ayertime:

Your review was such a delightful start to our day today! Thank you so much for writing this excellent guide to other travelers considering a stay at the Hawthorne Hotel.

One of the things we hear over and over again is how good our food and our staff are here at the Hotel. Thank you for noting it for others here in this venue. It is always helpful to know as much as possible about a place one is thinking of trying, which is why these traveler reviews are so important.

Thank you again for writing, and we certainly do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Waverly, Ohio
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I am a business traveler who typically stays in Hyatts, Hiltons, etc. The Hawthorne was recommended to me by a Salem resident and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Though I enjoyed the beauty and charm of the building and furnishings, the staff is the true gem. It was a very cold week so going out in the evenings was not desirable. I found the bar to be very "Cheers - like" with many locals and regular business travelers who return. Allison in the bar was top notch in personality, willingness to make recommendations as to traffic, parking, dinner, whatever.
The only downside is that there are no coffemakers in the room. Though there is complimentary coffee in the lobby in the mornings, that's an inconvenience. I had to order room service every morning to get coffee in my room since I had no desire to shower and dress before having to go and get it myself. I must say though that a very nice lady by the name of Debbie (I believe) delivered to me every morning and was such a pleasant person.
Overall, I would definitely stay here again. It's a wonderful change from the big name hotels that may offer more conveniences, but less charm. Give The Hawthorne a try!

Room Tip: This is an older hotel so keep that in mind. My bathtub was leaking into the room below me so I had...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear welovethecaribbean2
Thank you so much for your kind and fulsome recommendation of a stay at the historic Hawthorne Hotel. We do sincerely appreciate every perspective, and you certainly sound like a very seasoned traveler, which is helpful to other travelers to know.

I am so happy to read that the staff members were the main reason that you enjoyed your stay so much. We work very hard for our guests, regularly reminding our team members here that we are in the “hospitality” business, not the “hotel” business. We think that makes a difference.

Regarding the lack of coffee makers in the rooms, one of the conscious decisions we have had to make about the amenities we are able to put into our guests rooms is whether or not to have a coffee pot. We have made the decision to not have these in the rooms for several reasons, but the most important reason is that they simply will not fit in every room, and we don’t feel it is fair to have an amenity in some rooms that is not offered in all the rooms. The secondary issue is one of quality – we know that our coffee is worth coming downstairs for (or ordering from room service) because it is so special, and because we are able to offer real cream and real milk (New Englanders in particular are not black coffee drinkers and distain artificial substances for their coffee) for it. There are more reasons which I will not bore you with here, but please know that we are grateful that you understand that we cannot be all things to all people.

Thank you again for the excellent review, and for advising future travelers to give us a try. We sincerely appreciate the recommendation.

Warmly,

Connecticut
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I am a bit picky with hotels, generally I just like them to be clean and the staff to be courteous. I am travelling for work and I usually stat at the Hampton Inn brand and have a good experience. I read nice things about this and got a good deal with a dinner voucher so I thought I would give it a try and could not be more impressed. The hotel is beautiful and comfortable -it is the perfect mix of historic charm and modern amenities. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable, the bathrooms are equally nice with great toiletries. There is a more formal restaurant and a more casual restaurant (that is still very nice) and both have ambitious yet simple menus - I was torn since everything looked great but I settled on the special and it did not disappoint. And last but not the least, the staff are so friendly and helpful. I am sure it is more expensive to come here in the spring or summer, but I would say it is worth it. The town is charming with a lot to see and the hotel is one of my favorite's I have ever been to and my stay was less than 24 hours.

Room Tip: The Derby rooms are so nice and spacious -ours had two bathrooms which was a nice perk!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear sjaca:

What a wonderful review! Even though you were only with us for a very short while, it is great to hear that you were so thoroughly impressed with everything. We strive to give the best possible service to all of our guests and I am glad we were able to wow you not only with the accommodations but the service.

Hopefully you can visit Salem again on pleasure, rather than business. With the large number of museums, shops, and historic sites all within walking distance of the Hawthorne you can easily experience all that Salem has to offer.

Thank you again for such a nice review.

McLean, Virginia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We recently returned to stay at the Hawthorne Hotel for a long weekend 20 years after we were married there. This time we had two teenagers in tow. We had a lovely winter weekend at the hotel, visiting family, exploring Salem's many historic museums, and enjoying gourmet meals at Nathaniel's. We greatly appreciated the hotel's excellent service, great recommendations, and superb support in accommodating severe food allergies. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite with a great view of historic Salem, which was a real treat and brought back wonderful memories of our wedding. We enjoyed early morning walks around the historic district and fabulous exhibits at the Peabody museum. Even though I am from the area, we felt as if there was a lot more we wanted to see. We will certainly go back!

Dear anonymous741:

It is great to hear from a native of Salem that we were able to make you feel completely at home at the Hawthorne. We are thrilled that we were able to provide the same excellent service you received at your wedding twenty years ago, again today.

Salem has changed significantly over the past years and there is so much to experience and explore. I am glad that your family was able to enjoy the city during your time with us. Morning walks around the Salem Common are an excellent way to start any day.

Hopefully you were able to see HATS at the Peabody Essex Museum while in Salem. It was a wonderful exhibit and has been replaced by an equally exciting series of Indian Art: Midnight to the Boom. Hopefully you will be able to come back to the Hawthorne soon and see it.

Needham, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed there for a wedding and it was beautiful. Very helpful staff, nice room with two bathrooms. It was a cold weekend but our room was well heated and comfortable. Excellent drinks at the bar downstairs. Nice breakfast in the morning, too. Would definitely go back!

Dear Peggy P:

While many of our guests come to us for the first time because of a wedding, they often return because of the experience they had here. It seems like that might be the case with your visit as I read between the lines.

Thank you for noting how much you enjoyed drinks at our bar and our excellent breakfasts in Nathaniel’s as well. We will certainly share your kind remarks with the members of the team here at the Hawthorne Hotel.

Thank you so much for the excellent review.

Lunenburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Hawthorne is uniquely situated in the heart of historic Salem, MA. What makes the visit so enjoyable in this historic hotel is the friendly & knowledgeable staff - much of Salem is in easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask about views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chuck A:

Thank you so very much for writing this review. While it is succinct, you certainly nailed the main differentiation between our hotel and others in the area which is the staff members of the Hawthorne Hotel who make us shine for our guests.

I will share your kind comments with our team. Thank you again.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!