“Peace and tranquility in Historic Salem, MA” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Binghamton, New York
“Peace and tranquility in Historic Salem, MA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the historic Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, Ma. Everything about our stay was delightful, from the front desk staff upon check-in to the day we left. The hotel staff were as warm and welcoming as the fire place in the Tavern. On our last night we ate in the fine dining restaurant, Nathaniel's. Being in the restaurant business, I tend to very critical of the service provided as well as the food preparation and presentation. Our server, David, was the epitome of professionalism. His service was attentive, but not interuptive. He seemed to sense when we needed something before we had the chance to ask. Truely a delightful stay!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Stephen J,

It was so kind of you to write such a detailed account of your visit to the Hawthorne Hotel over the holidays. We are especially pleased to read your comments about your dining experience, and we will certainly share them with the entire team. David will receive a special recognition because you mentioned him by name in this review.

Thank you so much for doing this for us, and for future travelers. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Turkish first
Holyoke, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I arrived at the hotel to be greeted kindly and professionally. Our three night stay was over the Christmas holiday visiting family in a near by town. We ate in the pub, Nathaniel's restaurant and utilized room service. All surpassed our expectations. The pub was lively and the restaurant quaint, quiet and tasteful. We loved the fact that it was centrally located in the heart of Salem MA a great walking city. The room was clean, tastefully decorated with antique style furniture; the bed and pillows comfortable. Bathrooms were cozy and nicely appointed. Across from the elevator on our floor was a lending library for reading pleasure. Christmas day there was a high-end huge buffet available for any guest or visitor. It was so nice seeing families in Holiday attire arriving to enjoy the feast. I highly recommend Hawthorne Hotel. TMA

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room for views of the city. Ours was on the 4th floor allowing roof top sites.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Tom A:

Thank you for writing such a thoughtful review. I am thrilled to hear that the Hawthorne Hotel played such a large role in your holiday memories this past Christmas.

It seems you took advantage of everything that the Hawthorne has to offer. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the food you received in both our casual and fine dining restaurants as well as through our room service. I will be certain to share your kind words with our food and beverage team since they work so tirelessly throughout the holidays. We enjoy hearing that our hard work has paid off and made a wonderful memory for our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about us on Trip Advisor. It truly does a service for the Hotel to have so many first-hand accounts for future travelers to review.

Hopefully we will see you in Salem again very soon.

Binghamton, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed over the holidays, can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel. From the new comfy beds and top notch linens, the cleanliness and the personal service in both the Tavern with its cozy fire and Nathaniel's fine dinner experience (kudos to server David!). The most striking thing about this hotel is the teamwork and comradarie between the staff, it really feels like a family who is welcoming you into their home! If you've never been to Salem, you should go and in my opinion there is only one place to stay, the Hawthorne Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if available, they have fridges too.
Dear Mari-Ann J:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to hear that the staff was so helpful and that the true spirit of the Hawthorne TEAM was obvious to you as you dined with us. All departments are in constant communication and the genuine friendship between staff help make each day function smoothly at the Hawthorne.

Thank you for recognizing not only their hard work and attention to detail, but their positive attitudes while serving our guests. We appreciate your recognizing David’s hard work in particular and I will be sure that his diligence is recognized.

Hopefully we will see you again in Salem very soon.

Seminole, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We came to your hotel for our daughters wedding on 12/12/12. Your staff was wonderful in helping her plan and have a small but beautiful intimate wedding with her family and a few friends.
The food and drinks were delicious the whole week. All of your staff was extremely helpful and courteous, especially the front desk, tavern and the restaurant.

The Christmas decorations were beautiful inside and out!!

My husband and I were very pleased with our corner room overlooking the common.
We loved the history and architecture of the hotel. As well as all of the old buildings in Salem.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Roses627:

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate it when our guests are able to do this for the Hawthorne as it truly provides great insight for future travelers of Salem.

I am thrilled to hear that everything was well beyond your expectations during your time with us. Regardless of size, we strive to make every wedding at the Hawthorne a unique and memorable experience not just for the bride and groom, but each and every guest. I will be certain to share your words with not only the catering staff, but the entire team Hawthorne who made your week so special.

Thank you again for writing such a kind review. Hopefully we will see you back at the Hawthorne and in Salem again very soon.

portland, me
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

About 3 yrs ago I was a guest at the Hawthorne Inn in Salem, MA. I was on business, and had hung my pant suit in the window of the room I was in, in front of the large open window on the 2nd floor facing the park. I came back into the room after dinner, turned on the lights; and all of the sudden I heard about 200 ppl screaming! They were on a "ghost tour" which ended at the hotel; and they all happend to be looking up at my room when the lights went on and they thought my suit was a dead body hanging in the window. Everyone accuses me of making this story up; but you can't make this up...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank anymous51
Dear jillc1:

This story certainly made me laugh this morning. You never know what will happen in Salem or at the Hawthorne! Thank you for taking the time to share this story with readers on Trip Advisor as I am certain others will enjoy hearing your story.

We are asked often if the Hawthorne Hotel is haunted. Ghost Hunters came here several years back and did an investigation, but the results were inconclusive. We always encourage guests to share any experiences they may have with us.

Thank you again for sharing your humorous tale with us. Hopefully we will see you again in Salem or at the Hawthorne very soon.

Oak Park, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is one of my favorite hotels that I have ever been in. I am not saying that because it is really fancy - it isn't - but I was so comfortable here and the hotel has so much ambiance, a perfect location and the staff was very warm and friendly. This is an historic hotel so there are some signs of deterioration and repairs ongoing - that is the only reason I did not rate it 5 stars. For instance, while I was there, on the floor where I stayed, there was some signs of water damage to walls that were in the process of being repaired. Also, the halls can be a little dark and close feeling, as is usually the case with historic properties. But my room was on a corner, so I got light coming in from two sides. One of my windows looked out on the parking lot but the other window faced the water. My room was small but cozy, almost like a room in someone's home. It was so quiet and peaceful, even though the hotel is in the center of everything in Salem. My attached bath was tiny, but warm and had everything I needed. The decor was vintage hotel style. It was very clean. Upon arrival, the staff at the tiny guest services desk was cheerful and relaxed. There was no haughtiness, only a small town feeling of welcome. The lobby is dark but warm and attractively furnished in an old fashioned style. I ate dinner in one of the hotel restaurants one night and it was excellent, with prompt but serene service. The two elevators were featured in an episode of that old TV show from the 60s "Bewitched." I recognized it at once because it looks exactly the same. The location of this hotel is fantastic. I walked to everything in Salem, even though I had a car. The only less-than-convenient thing is that the parking lot is in the back and the entrance to the hotel is on the other side of the building, so I had to bring my luggage all the way around. If I were travelling with someone, I could have unloaded in the front then gone around back to park, but I was by myself. Anyway, I love this hotel and it is an excellent value for the money. After just staying at a fancy chain hotel in Boston where I felt I was totally nickled-and-dimed and did not get my money's worth, this hotel was lovely and I truly felt like I was on vacation. I can't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: I really enjoyed having a corner room because I got light coming in from two windows, but some peopl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear artlover1765:

Thank you for writing such a wonderful, heartfelt review. You highlighted everything I would hope a guest would experience while staying with us.

I am thrilled to hear that you loved every aspect of your room. We have made many updates to our rooms in the past year. From upgrading the bedding and adding pillow top mattress covers to putting true high-definition flat-screen televisions with appropriate programming and iPod docking stations in each room, we made a conscious effort to ensure every guest’s stay is extremely comfortable. Though we made these updates, we were very intentional about preserving the Hotel’s historic charm. Thank you for recognizing this in your review.

I am glad you were able to enjoy the historic town of Salem so fully while visiting us. Salem is a fantastic walking city which is why the Hawthorne is the perfect place to stay as we are located at the heart of it all.

Thank you again for choosing to write a response to your recent stay. Hopefully you will return to the Hawthorne Hotel again very soon.

North Reading, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Recently we had the opportunity to celebrate a birthday at the Hawthorne Hotel dining room. The servers were most accommodating and friendly. While eating there was wonderful holiday music by a very talented pianist who was sure to ask diners if they had requests as he went table to table during a reprise. Since the dining staff knew we were there for a birthday, at the end of the meal, he played Happy Birthday in a jazzy rendition while the wait staff and guests sang. It was a most memorable evening and will savor the memories.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Chap360,

Thank you so much for the lovely review of your special celebratory dinner in Nathaniel’s Restaurant here at the Hawthorne Hotel. We love being able to play a part in family memories and anytime we can accommodate a special request we are happy to do so.

I appreciate your recognition of both the servers and pianist who helped make your dining experience exceptional. I will be certain to share your kind words with the entire Hawthorne team.

We look forward to seeing you in Nathaniel’s again very soon.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
The Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College
Winthrop Arms Hotel
Winthrop Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Winthrop

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!