“Wonderful Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Binghamton, New York, United States
“Wonderful Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed over the holidays, can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel. From the new comfy beds and top notch linens, the cleanliness and the personal service in both the Tavern with its cozy fire and Nathaniel's fine dinner experience (kudos to server David!). The most striking thing about this hotel is the teamwork and comradarie between the staff, it really feels like a family who is welcoming you into their home! If you've never been to Salem, you should go and in my opinion there is only one place to stay, the Hawthorne Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite if available, they have fridges too.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Mari-Ann J:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

I am thrilled to hear that the staff was so helpful and that the true spirit of the Hawthorne TEAM was obvious to you as you dined with us. All departments are in constant communication and the genuine friendship between staff help make each day function smoothly at the Hawthorne.

Thank you for recognizing not only their hard work and attention to detail, but their positive attitudes while serving our guests. We appreciate your recognizing David’s hard work in particular and I will be sure that his diligence is recognized.

Hopefully we will see you again in Salem very soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Turkish first
Seminole, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We came to your hotel for our daughters wedding on 12/12/12. Your staff was wonderful in helping her plan and have a small but beautiful intimate wedding with her family and a few friends.
The food and drinks were delicious the whole week. All of your staff was extremely helpful and courteous, especially the front desk, tavern and the restaurant.

The Christmas decorations were beautiful inside and out!!

My husband and I were very pleased with our corner room overlooking the common.
We loved the history and architecture of the hotel. As well as all of the old buildings in Salem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Roses627:

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate it when our guests are able to do this for the Hawthorne as it truly provides great insight for future travelers of Salem.

I am thrilled to hear that everything was well beyond your expectations during your time with us. Regardless of size, we strive to make every wedding at the Hawthorne a unique and memorable experience not just for the bride and groom, but each and every guest. I will be certain to share your words with not only the catering staff, but the entire team Hawthorne who made your week so special.

Thank you again for writing such a kind review. Hopefully we will see you back at the Hawthorne and in Salem again very soon.

portland, me
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

About 3 yrs ago I was a guest at the Hawthorne Inn in Salem, MA. I was on business, and had hung my pant suit in the window of the room I was in, in front of the large open window on the 2nd floor facing the park. I came back into the room after dinner, turned on the lights; and all of the sudden I heard about 200 ppl screaming! They were on a "ghost tour" which ended at the hotel; and they all happend to be looking up at my room when the lights went on and they thought my suit was a dead body hanging in the window. Everyone accuses me of making this story up; but you can't make this up...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank anymous51
Dear jillc1:

This story certainly made me laugh this morning. You never know what will happen in Salem or at the Hawthorne! Thank you for taking the time to share this story with readers on Trip Advisor as I am certain others will enjoy hearing your story.

We are asked often if the Hawthorne Hotel is haunted. Ghost Hunters came here several years back and did an investigation, but the results were inconclusive. We always encourage guests to share any experiences they may have with us.

Thank you again for sharing your humorous tale with us. Hopefully we will see you again in Salem or at the Hawthorne very soon.

Oak Park, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is one of my favorite hotels that I have ever been in. I am not saying that because it is really fancy - it isn't - but I was so comfortable here and the hotel has so much ambiance, a perfect location and the staff was very warm and friendly. This is an historic hotel so there are some signs of deterioration and repairs ongoing - that is the only reason I did not rate it 5 stars. For instance, while I was there, on the floor where I stayed, there was some signs of water damage to walls that were in the process of being repaired. Also, the halls can be a little dark and close feeling, as is usually the case with historic properties. But my room was on a corner, so I got light coming in from two sides. One of my windows looked out on the parking lot but the other window faced the water. My room was small but cozy, almost like a room in someone's home. It was so quiet and peaceful, even though the hotel is in the center of everything in Salem. My attached bath was tiny, but warm and had everything I needed. The decor was vintage hotel style. It was very clean. Upon arrival, the staff at the tiny guest services desk was cheerful and relaxed. There was no haughtiness, only a small town feeling of welcome. The lobby is dark but warm and attractively furnished in an old fashioned style. I ate dinner in one of the hotel restaurants one night and it was excellent, with prompt but serene service. The two elevators were featured in an episode of that old TV show from the 60s "Bewitched." I recognized it at once because it looks exactly the same. The location of this hotel is fantastic. I walked to everything in Salem, even though I had a car. The only less-than-convenient thing is that the parking lot is in the back and the entrance to the hotel is on the other side of the building, so I had to bring my luggage all the way around. If I were travelling with someone, I could have unloaded in the front then gone around back to park, but I was by myself. Anyway, I love this hotel and it is an excellent value for the money. After just staying at a fancy chain hotel in Boston where I felt I was totally nickled-and-dimed and did not get my money's worth, this hotel was lovely and I truly felt like I was on vacation. I can't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: I really enjoyed having a corner room because I got light coming in from two windows, but some peopl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear artlover1765:

Thank you for writing such a wonderful, heartfelt review. You highlighted everything I would hope a guest would experience while staying with us.

I am thrilled to hear that you loved every aspect of your room. We have made many updates to our rooms in the past year. From upgrading the bedding and adding pillow top mattress covers to putting true high-definition flat-screen televisions with appropriate programming and iPod docking stations in each room, we made a conscious effort to ensure every guest’s stay is extremely comfortable. Though we made these updates, we were very intentional about preserving the Hotel’s historic charm. Thank you for recognizing this in your review.

I am glad you were able to enjoy the historic town of Salem so fully while visiting us. Salem is a fantastic walking city which is why the Hawthorne is the perfect place to stay as we are located at the heart of it all.

Thank you again for choosing to write a response to your recent stay. Hopefully you will return to the Hawthorne Hotel again very soon.

North Reading, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Recently we had the opportunity to celebrate a birthday at the Hawthorne Hotel dining room. The servers were most accommodating and friendly. While eating there was wonderful holiday music by a very talented pianist who was sure to ask diners if they had requests as he went table to table during a reprise. Since the dining staff knew we were there for a birthday, at the end of the meal, he played Happy Birthday in a jazzy rendition while the wait staff and guests sang. It was a most memorable evening and will savor the memories.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Chap360,

Thank you so much for the lovely review of your special celebratory dinner in Nathaniel’s Restaurant here at the Hawthorne Hotel. We love being able to play a part in family memories and anytime we can accommodate a special request we are happy to do so.

I appreciate your recognition of both the servers and pianist who helped make your dining experience exceptional. I will be certain to share your kind words with the entire Hawthorne team.

We look forward to seeing you in Nathaniel’s again very soon.

Claremont, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We loved our stay at the Hawthorne Hotel and would definitely return. We always choose pet friendly hotels and this is was one of the best experiences we've had with our pet. The food was outstanding and the staff was responsive, friendly, and professional. Room was a little warm but nothing that would deter our opinion of our stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Jeelie B,

You made our day! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review about your weekend stay here at the historic Hawthorne Hotel in Salem.

We sincerely appreciate knowing that we have made a difference through our actions, and that certainly seems to be the case in regards to your visit with your “best friend” in our pet-friendly hotel.

Other travelers tell me how much it means to read these first-hand accounts of visits to our hotel.

Should you come back for another visit, do let us know if we can personally assist you in making your visit as comfortable as possible. There are often things we can do to make our systems perform better if we simply know that you require assistance.

Thank you again for writing, and we look forward to welcoming you and your pet back again soon.

Peabody, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at the
Hawthorne Hotel in Salem MA.it was wonderful they treated us well and the food at Nathaniel's was delicious and well prepared.
The hotel staff and waitstaff were top notch I would not hesitate to return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Machman57:

Thank you very much for responding to your recent stay with us. Though it was only overnight, I am glad we able to garner such high praise. I truly appreciate you taking the time to do this for the Hawthorne, as well as for future travelers to Salem.

I am thrilled to hear you recognize the hard work of our staff. They make the Hawthorne shine each and every day. I will be certain to share your kind words with the entire team.

Hopefully we will see you again in Salem and at the Hawthorne very soon.

Happy holidays,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
The Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College
Courtyard Boston Danvers

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!