“Old School Charm”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Salem, MA
“Old School Charm”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the Hawthorne when I moved and when I had renovations to the new place. The rooms were small but comfortable and all those nice soft comfy chairs in the lobby and the tavern
always give me a sense of well-being.
I stayed on weekdays, so I did not have to deal with the loud parties that people have complained about. They do listen to Tripadvisor and now have signs at the elevators on each floor threatening a $100 fine for rowdiness.
The swimming pool is actually at the YMCA, a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Take the NEXT cheapest rooms. It sounds like a lot of the unhappy people were in the cheapest rooms...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear SalSal:

Thank you for writing a reflection on your recent stay with us. I greatly appreciate your recognition of our work here on Trip Advisor. Each review is read/responded to and shared with our entire team. There is no better way to know how we need to improve than hearing it directly from our guests. It does mean a lot to us that people take the time to tell us where changes need to be made or kudos need to be given.

Thank you again for writing to us. Hopefully we will see you at the Hawthorne again very soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Turkish first
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed December 10, 2012

For my company holiday party this year I decided to stay at the Hawthorne Hotel and was thoroughly impressed all around! From the friendly and helpful staff to the historic yet comfortable room, staying at the Hawthorne was a truly welcoming experience that I would highly recommend to anyone staying in the Salem area. The room was well equipped with all up-to-date hotel amenities (mini fridge, ironing board, television), while still carefully preserving the historical detailing which highlights true New England charm. I was even surprised to find a radio in the room with capabilities for my smart phone! Being on the corner of the top floor, the large windows gave us multiple views of downtown Salem which were nothing short of impressive. Briefly on the elevator we ran into a woman with her small dog and she informed us that the hotel even offers doggie room service! Hawthorne hospitality even caters to our four legged friends! Overall it was a great, affordable stay adding to a memorable night this holiday season.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ben H:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. I am thrilled to hear that not only the accommodations went beyond your expectations, but also the service you received. I will be certain to share your kind words with the entire Hawthorne team.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed all of the amenities with which your room was equipped. In the past year we have taken great care to upgrade our guest rooms. There is a very delicate balance between losing the charm of a historic property and accommodating twenty-first century guests. I am glad you felt comfortable in your room and able to take in the spectacular views of downtown Salem.

Hopefully we will see you in Salem again soon, perhaps with one of your own four legged friends?

Washington, DC
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I am shocked to read the other reviews of the Hawthorne Hotel as our experience was terrible. In truth, I did not read the reviews before booking because I attended a wedding at this hotel this past weekend and did not consider staying anywhere else. We are seasoned travelers and have stayed at everything from 5 stars hotels to budget travel inns/chains and this was one of the worst experiences. There is no way I would stay here again or recommend the Hawthorne Hotel.

The hotel does have the historic charm that everyone has described and was nicely decorated for the holidays, however if you look closely you will find repainted water stains and a generally poorly maintained building. Our worst complaint is that we discovered little black bugs in our bathroom the morning after our first night. They were all over the tile and the bathmat that we put down. We suspect they were fleas, but having personally never seen a flea, we are just taking a guess. We promptly called the front desk and were connected with the manager Lucy who came upstairs immediately to take a look. She verified that we did in fact have bugs, however she in no way apologized or explained the situation. Instead she offered to "take care of the situation" while we were out during the day or offered to move us to another room. Obviously we opted to move to the other room, but this was a huge inconvenience as we were supposed to already be at a brunch. At no time did the hotel apologize or offer any sort of concession for the inconvenience.

While the bug situation was by far the worst of the Hawthorne's deficiencies, we also found the staff to be generally incompetent and unhelpful. A room service order for two sandwiches required 3 trips by the server to get the order right as we were missing basic things like utensils, napkins, etc. Parking on Saturday night (when we returned from the wedding ceremony) was an impossibility due to the amount of activities taking place at the hotel. Clearly “parking for hotel guests” is not truly enforced as we were forced to find street parking at 7pm. Additionally, others in the wedding party had problems with their reservations not being correct (king bed vs. 2 doubles) and were forced to pay more for a suite when the previously requested room was not available. Again no apologies or concessions were extended by the Hawthorne. The hotel was clearly booked solid this weekend and perhaps they are able to get away with this type of customer service because they are in such demand, however it makes for a miserable experience for their hotel guests. It seems clear the hotel places more importance on making money than the overall guest experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank schk
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear schk:

We are likewise shocked because we never received any complaint from you after this happened, so we thought we had dealt with the issue appropriately. I always like to hear directly from our guests when issues arise, because I believe one-on-one conversation is the best way to truly solve any kind of problem.

Here is what we know: You arrived, checked in to a room that was clean, stayed the night, and then found you had bugs in your room the next morning.

When you noticed the tiny bugs in the bathroom, and called down to the desk, Lucie immediately came to the room with keys to a similar room right next door, and brought the housekeeper and maintenance person with her so that this issue could be dealt with on the spot. She apologized to you, investigated the situation, and offered you a choice of having the issue in question cleaned and exterminated while you were out, so you would not have to move, or the choice of moving right next door to the same room type.

Lucie knows that sometimes when room satisfaction issues arise, our guests may not want to change rooms for any reason, which is why she offered you the choice. Once you chose to move, she offered to assist you with the move, but you declined her assistance.

Because we had never seen anything like this before, we captured some of the bugs in question for our exterminator to identify for us, and we learned that they were something brought in from the outside. We feel we need to point out that generally bugs like this do not prefer hotel rooms because there are no food sources in them, and they usually show up because guests bring them to us, so there would be no way that Lucie could have explained to you what they were since they were clearly not there prior to being noticed in this instance.

I do feel Lucie should have offered you a discount on your room bill for the inconvenience of having to change rooms, and we have now done just that, so the credit should show soon on the credit card that you used to pay for your room.

Regarding the room service issue we apologize for your experience. We did have a new person on that day, and it is clear that server needs more training, which we have been working on. Again, I do wish you had said something to the manager on duty about the sub-standard service, as I am certain the issue would have been dealt with immediately for you. However, because you did not have a good experience, I have asked our accounting office to remove that charge from your bill and put a credit through to your account for this as well.

Lastly, you raise issues regarding how we have dealt with another guest in your party, but I have no idea what you are talking about there. We send confirmation letters out to all guests, so if someone received a confirmation letter and had the wrong room type reserved for them, they certainly should have addressed that with us prior to even arriving at the hotel.

I hope this long response addresses all your concerns. I note that you have written many Trip Advisor reviews, and in looking at the most recent hotel stays, I don’t see that you have received any responses from the hotels where you have stayed, which is too bad. We respond to each and every review.

Here at the Hawthorne Hotel we take all of our guests concerns very seriously, as we know it is the only way we can improve.

Again, we do apologize that you had a less-than-perfect stay with us, and hope that you might give us another chance.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This historic hotel is well situated for all the sites and the reception staff were extremely helpful in helping me to organise my stay.
The room was very comfortable and clean and the food in the restaurant was excellent.
Next time I visit Salem I will stay at the Hawthorne.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Wizard91:

Thank you for writing a review for the Hawthorne here on Trip Advisor. It is such a great benefit when guests share their experiences with others who are looking to stay in Salem.

I appreciate your acknowledgement of the staff interactions you experienced during your stay. I will be certain to share your response with them, as it is always gratifying to have their work recognized by our guests.

We can’t wait to see you on your next visit to Salem, hopefully very soon.

San Fernando, California
Reviewed December 2, 2012

From the first time we visited Salem in 1993, we always wanted to stay at the Hawthorne Hotel and we finally got the opportunity this October. We celebrated our birthday in Salem and as a birthday present to ourselves, we booked the Hawthorne. We had a terrific four nights here.

There is a classy old world feel to this gem, from the lovely lobby with many places to sit and relax and have a morning cup of coffee, which is provided by the hotel, to the hallways and rooms. The location is the best in the city, close to the pedestrian walking mall, restaurants, shops, museums and tourist attractions.

Everyone of the staff was friendly and helpful from the front desk ladies to the wait staff in the Tavern on the Green and the maintenance staff. We ate twice in Tavern on the Green. Once for a snack in the evening we split a fantastic double chocolate banana chip cake a la mode and another time, we had dinner here of clam chowder and a BBQ short rib sandwich, which was also very good. Our double bed room on the 5th floor, although facing the inner courtyard and no view whatsoever, was very nice. The bathroom, though, was on the small size, but it was fine. We had a car and there is a nice size parking lot in back of the hotel. We never had any trouble getting a parking space and there was no charge for hotel guests.

My only disappointment was that we were not able to experience the Sunday Brunch in Nathaniel’s as there was a private function going on that day and that was the only Sunday we were there.

We were just glad to have the chance to stay in this wonderful historic hotel. Every time we walked through their doors, we were thrilled to be their guests. Hopefully the next time we come, we will be able to celebrate Halloween at The Hawthorne and will stay in a room with a view.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Twintourists:

I cannot thank you enough for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. Taking the time to highlight every aspect of your stay with such a great care for detail is truly appreciated.

Thank you for complimenting our staff so highly. I will be certain to share your kind words with the entire team, as we all love to hear reinforcement of the quality of our daily work.
Halloween is such an exciting time for not simply the Hawthorne, but for the entire town. I would love to have you stay with us next year. Reservations are coming in daily so make sure to call soon so we can have you with us on your next trip.

Thank you for including so many great photos! It is so helpful to show people exactly what you saw during your stay. I always love seeing a guest’s perspective of the Hotel.

I apologize that you missed out on our Sunday Brunch while you were staying with us. Hopefully on your next visit, we can accommodate you and you’ll be able to experience it.

Thank you again for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have been looking forward to staying in Salem for a LONG time and at this particular hotel, it was definitely worth the wait.

I stayed in a corner suite on the third floor, which had a lovely view of Salem Common. It was literally refreshing to stay in a hotel in which you could actually open a window! Both the living area and the bedroom area where large, comfortable and lovely. The bathroom was a little small and there was an initial problem with the shower, but having mentioned it to a member of staff, it was fixed before it was needed again. Historical hotels have historical bathrooms, so be aware of this, but it certainly wont spoil your stay.

Nathaniel's was a delightful place to dine, although it was beautifully decorated, there was no air of pretentiousness, just great food and great service! I was lucky enough to have my first ever thanksgiving meal there and spend it with some marvellous friends. The food and the atmosphere was a highlight of my stay.

The Tavern was an excellent place to finish off a hard days sightseeing, or to grab a lovely spot of lunch. It became a ritual of the stay to save room for dessert no matter where we had eaten, just so we had room for dessert and a drink in The Tavern. The Bar staff and servers were so friendly and accommodating, even after we drank all their ginger beer supplies, they made sure there was some for next evening.

You must try the coffee in the lobby in the morning, it really is a great cup of coffee! I know it can be slightly annoying not having a coffee pot in your room, but this is a great compromise. I would rather come down in the morning in my pre caffeintaed zombie form, than drink the horrid coffee that you usually get in hotel rooms.

Location is perfect, everything is literally in walking distance, that is not an exaggeration, it is a fact.

I can speak highly of the staff enough, they truly were lovely and I can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: A great piece advice I got recently was to make sure that give feedback whilst you are still on your...
Dear crpitt:

Thank you for writing such a wonderful, thorough review of your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to hear spent your first Thanksgiving at the Hawthorne. It is such a special event for us at the Hotel and we love having such a connection to people’s memories.

I apologize for the issue with the shower in your room. I could not have said it better myself, “historic hotels have historic bathrooms”. Ours have been renovated and are in wonderful condition, but we are still a historic building. We maintain every room to the highest standard but problems can happen. I am glad to hear everything was taken care of in a timely and professional manner for you.

I am thrilled you were able to spend so much time relaxing in the Tavern. It has such a cozy atmosphere in both the winter and fall months. I will be certain to share your kind words with our staff that made you feel so at home during your stay.

Thank you again and I hope we will see you at the Hawthorne very soon.

Canterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This isn't my first review of the Hawthorne Hotel as I've had the pleasure of staying there numerous times over the past few years but my last stay was for a full six nights and was one of my most pleasurable. A friend from England was visiting and as I wanted to be able to show her around Salem, the Hawthorne was the perfect place to stay as we were within easy walking distance of many of Salem's fantastic attractions - the Peabody-Essex Museum, Ye Olde Pepper Candy Companie, the Salem Maritime National Historic Site, etc. It was a real pleasure to be able to park my car in the lot behind the hotel, toss the keys in a dresser drawer in my room, and explore on foot!

Our accommodations – a suite on the third floor overlooking Salem Common - had a very large sitting area in addition to the bedroom. I was pleasantly surprised to find a small refrigerator in a closet (of which there were three in the suite) and the bathroom - though not large - was big enough to spread our stuff out without causing too much of a cluttered mess! Though there was a small problem with getting the faucet in the shower to shut off completely on our second morning, I notified the front desk and they had someone up to fix it while we were out for the day and it worked fine for the rest of our stay.

While at the Hawthorne we took full advantage of the hotel’s food venues enjoying room service one morning, breakfast and dinner in the hotel's fine dining restaurant (Nathaniel’s) on other days, and only missing one evening sitting by the fire in the very cozy Tavern with a drink in hand and usually something ordered from the dessert menu in front of us! It was a wonderful way to end our day before heading upstairs for the night.

During our entire stay, every staff member that we encountered from the front desk to housekeeping to the waitstaff were not only very professional but also very friendly and helpful in every way possible. When they asked if there was anything else that they could do for you, it was easy to see that they meant it and weren’t just asking because it was required by them.

All in all, it was a fantastic stay and I believe that my friend was able to see why I continue to go back to the Hawthorne again and again. I know there are other places that I could stay in Salem but why??

Room Tip: As this is a historic hotel, some rooms do tend to run smaller than others so your best bet is to ca...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LindaOSki
Dear LindaOSki:

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review of your most recent stay at the Hawthorne. You described everything in such great detail, it is sure to be a great benefit to future travelers of Salem.

I am so glad to hear that you were able to explore the city on foot. It truly is the best way to get to know Salem. The city itself is full of character and you miss so much of it when you don’t have the cobblestones under your feet. The Hawthorne is the prime location as we really are right in the heart of everything the city has to offer.

Thank you for recognizing how hard the staff at our Hotel is consistently working to make every guest’s stay enjoyable and comfortable from start to finish. I will share your kind words with them as it truly is an affirmation of everything we do.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you at the Hawthorne again very soon.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!