“Lovely Old World Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
San Fernando, California
“Lovely Old World Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

From the first time we visited Salem in 1993, we always wanted to stay at the Hawthorne Hotel and we finally got the opportunity this October. We celebrated our birthday in Salem and as a birthday present to ourselves, we booked the Hawthorne. We had a terrific four nights here.

There is a classy old world feel to this gem, from the lovely lobby with many places to sit and relax and have a morning cup of coffee, which is provided by the hotel, to the hallways and rooms. The location is the best in the city, close to the pedestrian walking mall, restaurants, shops, museums and tourist attractions.

Everyone of the staff was friendly and helpful from the front desk ladies to the wait staff in the Tavern on the Green and the maintenance staff. We ate twice in Tavern on the Green. Once for a snack in the evening we split a fantastic double chocolate banana chip cake a la mode and another time, we had dinner here of clam chowder and a BBQ short rib sandwich, which was also very good. Our double bed room on the 5th floor, although facing the inner courtyard and no view whatsoever, was very nice. The bathroom, though, was on the small size, but it was fine. We had a car and there is a nice size parking lot in back of the hotel. We never had any trouble getting a parking space and there was no charge for hotel guests.

My only disappointment was that we were not able to experience the Sunday Brunch in Nathaniel’s as there was a private function going on that day and that was the only Sunday we were there.

We were just glad to have the chance to stay in this wonderful historic hotel. Every time we walked through their doors, we were thrilled to be their guests. Hopefully the next time we come, we will be able to celebrate Halloween at The Hawthorne and will stay in a room with a view.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Twintourists:

I cannot thank you enough for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. Taking the time to highlight every aspect of your stay with such a great care for detail is truly appreciated.

Thank you for complimenting our staff so highly. I will be certain to share your kind words with the entire team, as we all love to hear reinforcement of the quality of our daily work.
Halloween is such an exciting time for not simply the Hawthorne, but for the entire town. I would love to have you stay with us next year. Reservations are coming in daily so make sure to call soon so we can have you with us on your next trip.

Thank you for including so many great photos! It is so helpful to show people exactly what you saw during your stay. I always love seeing a guest’s perspective of the Hotel.

I apologize that you missed out on our Sunday Brunch while you were staying with us. Hopefully on your next visit, we can accommodate you and you’ll be able to experience it.

Thank you again for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have been looking forward to staying in Salem for a LONG time and at this particular hotel, it was definitely worth the wait.

I stayed in a corner suite on the third floor, which had a lovely view of Salem Common. It was literally refreshing to stay in a hotel in which you could actually open a window! Both the living area and the bedroom area where large, comfortable and lovely. The bathroom was a little small and there was an initial problem with the shower, but having mentioned it to a member of staff, it was fixed before it was needed again. Historical hotels have historical bathrooms, so be aware of this, but it certainly wont spoil your stay.

Nathaniel's was a delightful place to dine, although it was beautifully decorated, there was no air of pretentiousness, just great food and great service! I was lucky enough to have my first ever thanksgiving meal there and spend it with some marvellous friends. The food and the atmosphere was a highlight of my stay.

The Tavern was an excellent place to finish off a hard days sightseeing, or to grab a lovely spot of lunch. It became a ritual of the stay to save room for dessert no matter where we had eaten, just so we had room for dessert and a drink in The Tavern. The Bar staff and servers were so friendly and accommodating, even after we drank all their ginger beer supplies, they made sure there was some for next evening.

You must try the coffee in the lobby in the morning, it really is a great cup of coffee! I know it can be slightly annoying not having a coffee pot in your room, but this is a great compromise. I would rather come down in the morning in my pre caffeintaed zombie form, than drink the horrid coffee that you usually get in hotel rooms.

Location is perfect, everything is literally in walking distance, that is not an exaggeration, it is a fact.

I can speak highly of the staff enough, they truly were lovely and I can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: A great piece advice I got recently was to make sure that give feedback whilst you are still on your...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear crpitt:

Thank you for writing such a wonderful, thorough review of your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to hear spent your first Thanksgiving at the Hawthorne. It is such a special event for us at the Hotel and we love having such a connection to people’s memories.

I apologize for the issue with the shower in your room. I could not have said it better myself, “historic hotels have historic bathrooms”. Ours have been renovated and are in wonderful condition, but we are still a historic building. We maintain every room to the highest standard but problems can happen. I am glad to hear everything was taken care of in a timely and professional manner for you.

I am thrilled you were able to spend so much time relaxing in the Tavern. It has such a cozy atmosphere in both the winter and fall months. I will be certain to share your kind words with our staff that made you feel so at home during your stay.

Thank you again and I hope we will see you at the Hawthorne very soon.

Canterbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

This isn't my first review of the Hawthorne Hotel as I've had the pleasure of staying there numerous times over the past few years but my last stay was for a full six nights and was one of my most pleasurable. A friend from England was visiting and as I wanted to be able to show her around Salem, the Hawthorne was the perfect place to stay as we were within easy walking distance of many of Salem's fantastic attractions - the Peabody-Essex Museum, Ye Olde Pepper Candy Companie, the Salem Maritime National Historic Site, etc. It was a real pleasure to be able to park my car in the lot behind the hotel, toss the keys in a dresser drawer in my room, and explore on foot!

Our accommodations – a suite on the third floor overlooking Salem Common - had a very large sitting area in addition to the bedroom. I was pleasantly surprised to find a small refrigerator in a closet (of which there were three in the suite) and the bathroom - though not large - was big enough to spread our stuff out without causing too much of a cluttered mess! Though there was a small problem with getting the faucet in the shower to shut off completely on our second morning, I notified the front desk and they had someone up to fix it while we were out for the day and it worked fine for the rest of our stay.

While at the Hawthorne we took full advantage of the hotel’s food venues enjoying room service one morning, breakfast and dinner in the hotel's fine dining restaurant (Nathaniel’s) on other days, and only missing one evening sitting by the fire in the very cozy Tavern with a drink in hand and usually something ordered from the dessert menu in front of us! It was a wonderful way to end our day before heading upstairs for the night.

During our entire stay, every staff member that we encountered from the front desk to housekeeping to the waitstaff were not only very professional but also very friendly and helpful in every way possible. When they asked if there was anything else that they could do for you, it was easy to see that they meant it and weren’t just asking because it was required by them.

All in all, it was a fantastic stay and I believe that my friend was able to see why I continue to go back to the Hawthorne again and again. I know there are other places that I could stay in Salem but why??

Room Tip: As this is a historic hotel, some rooms do tend to run smaller than others so your best bet is to ca...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LindaOSki
Dear LindaOSki:

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review of your most recent stay at the Hawthorne. You described everything in such great detail, it is sure to be a great benefit to future travelers of Salem.

I am so glad to hear that you were able to explore the city on foot. It truly is the best way to get to know Salem. The city itself is full of character and you miss so much of it when you don’t have the cobblestones under your feet. The Hawthorne is the prime location as we really are right in the heart of everything the city has to offer.

Thank you for recognizing how hard the staff at our Hotel is consistently working to make every guest’s stay enjoyable and comfortable from start to finish. I will share your kind words with them as it truly is an affirmation of everything we do.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you at the Hawthorne again very soon.

Winthrop, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at the Hawthorne Hotel and the staff went out of their way to be helpful to us. The hotel has a great sense of history but also has modern touches where needed. They have 2 restaurants, one casual and the other more formal and the food is excellent. The group I belong to has had many High Teas and they are as good as or better then the ones in the big Boston Hotels. There is free parking available. The hotel is situated a short walk to the small but outstanding Peabody Essex Museum. If you plan to stay in the Salem area this is the place to stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear brukakc

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel after what appears to be years of continued patronage. We love to hear from our repeat guests that we are still serving them to the highest standard.

Thank you for recognizing the hard work of the Hawthorne staff in your review. We know it takes the entire team to create the amazing experiences for our guests. I will be certain to share your comments with them.

I hope to see you again at the Hawthorne very soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Our 3rd visit this year and Thanksgiving was special. The Thanksgiving Buffet was wonderful.
We celebrated our grand son's 1st Thanksgiving here, and it was much fun. Great food, great service, beautiful, historic area, Salem is worth the trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear 3puttbogey:

Thank you so much for your continued patronage of our Hotel. I truly appreciate your repeated business.

We love the holidays here at the Hawthorne and we appreciate that you decided to spend your time with us this past Thanksgiving. We received such great feedback this year on every count; food, service, atmosphere, etc.

I am sure we will see you again at the Hotel very soon. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. It will be a great benefit to future Salem travelers.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

First time visiting Salem, MA and I love it, I would totally go back, lots of history and things to learn about and Hawthorne Hotel completes the package of the history in Salem.
The bed was great size and comfortable with extra pillows in the closet, the pillows great, big closets, the staff & services are the best and the friendliest, I enjoyed the bar food, drinks and desserts. I would totally go back soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EyadHainey
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear EyadHainey:

Thank you so much for writing a response to your recent stay with us. I am glad we were able to play such a key role in your first visit to Salem. We love being at the heart of all the excitement, and we really enjoyed having you stay with us!

Thank you for complimenting not simply your accommodations, but our staff. The entire Hawthorne team strives to give each guest a perfect experience daily. I am pleased to hear everything was perfect throughout your time with us.

Thank you again for your review. Hopefully we will see you on your second trip to Salem very soon.

Winter Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

The hotel served as a great central hub for our long weekend, with many of our destinations within easy walking distance of this centrally-located venue.
The historic hotel is such a pleasure, full of visual beauty and character. From a welcoming lobby to the ground-floor restaurant, tavern, and ball room, hotel guests have lots to see even before going up to the rooms.
We had a suite for the weekend, with a king bed, tons of closet space, and a generously sized sitting room with handsome furniture. The bed was extremely comfortable and the lush bedding made us not want to get up in the morning.
While it's true that there is not a coffee maker in the room, there are carafes in the lobby next to Nathaniel's, the formal dining room, for hotel guests. This coffee is top notch.
We recommend you eat at Nathaniel's at least once during your stay, the chef and staff go out of their way to make your meal exquisite. The Tavern is the other in-house dining option, and make sure to ask the server about daily specials, including daily drinks. The seasonal martinis are must-order cocktails.
The pleasant staff quickly responded to all of our requests, and helped make our stay quite enjoyable. One of the unique things this hotel does is to fly a different state flag and country flag outside every day, and a friend requested our state and country of origin for us, and having these flags flying on our last full day of our visit made us feel like extra special guests. The description of the daily flags is posted in the lobby, to the right of the elevators.
The hotel serves as host to many wedding parties, but on the guest room floors, there are signs clearly posted about their noise policy. Our suite was very quiet, day and night.
For people who want a memorable experience for a romantic getaway, or a central location for a historic exploration of Salem and the surrounding areas, the Hawthorne is an excellent choice of upscale accommodation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Morgen1967
Dear Morgen1967:

Wow! What a wonderful and comprehensive review. Thank you for giving the Hawthorne such high praise on every count.

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the flags flying above the Hotel. I am glad we were able to make you feel so at home during your stay with us. Our goal is to make every guest feel special throughout their time with us and we know what a difference little touches (like our flag program) can make.

I am glad to hear that your suite was well beyond what you expected. We have made many upgrades to our rooms in the past year – including major upgrades to the bedding – so hearing that you hardly wanted to leave your bed in the morning means we have done something very right!

Thank you again for this extremely kind and well-written review. The entire team at the Hawthorne really appreciates it when our guests take their experiences to Trip Advisor and I will be certain to share your words with them.

Hopefully we will see you again in Salem very soon.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!