“Exciting and Old World Charm Abounds” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Salem
Pleasant Valley, New York
“Exciting and Old World Charm Abounds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I recently made my 4 trip here in 6 years. I love this hotel! The whole place makes you feel like you have stepped into the past with all the wood and brocade carpets. The people that work there are all knowledgeable and ready to help you with whatever you need. This summer when there the girl at the front desk informed my husband and I about a better room available for a few dollars more so we took it. It turned out to be the perfect room. We were on the 6th floor overlooking the Salem Witch Museum. Our room was friendly and the new improved bathroom was so nice.
We had dinner one night at the restaurant and it was very good and the service was spot on.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear TerriWine0:

We LOVE hearing from our satisfied guests, and nothing could be more representative of satisfaction with a hotel stay than returning to that hotel over and over again. In addition, your review paints a delightful word picture of your visit, something that will be very helpful to other TripAdvisor travelers. Thank you so much for writing this for all of us.

We also are appreciative of your comments about the inexpensive but meaningful upgrade you received at your visit. Since so many of our rooms are different in size, view, and overall scope, it is helpful for future visitors to understand that sometimes spending just a few dollars more can make a big difference in your overall satisfaction with your visit.

Thank you as well for your kind words about your meal in the restaurant, and for noticing how improved our bathrooms are since the renovation.

We look forward to having you back again soon.

Warm personal regards,

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Turkish first
Newport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

After a number of visits to the Hawthorne Hotel in the past three years, we decided to be a part of Salem's Halloween activities by participating at the Hawthorne Hotel's Halloween Ball Weekend. As expected from the time we walked in to register on Friday to leaving late Sunday, the service was outstanding. The front desk staff offers to help in anyway they possibly can to make you feel comfortable during our visit. We enjoy the warm atmosphere of the Tavern along with it's great food. This year we invited family to come for lunch Sunday, just for braging rights. There Halloween Ball was awesome and the costumes were very creative. I really was amazed, as we walked about in the hotel, how many guest come from different parts of the country just to attend this event. The best compliment we can give the Hawthorne and its employess is to have booked for next year's Ball and continue to visit them during 2013.

Room Tip: A corner room with a view ofthe Salem Witch Museum and the Salem Commons was great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RickN

We are so thrilled to read your delightful review of your stay at the Hawthorne Hotel for our Halloween Ball package. We love how you have named the special weekend in Salem during Halloween for our hotel.

As you know, most of the rooms for that special weekend are sold to repeat guests who get “first dibs” on their rooms year after year. However, not every guest can come back, so there are a few rooms available on a lottery basis for guests like you who have never experienced that super-special event. We liken coming to the Hawthorne Hotel for that weekend is akin to going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras – something that many people have heard about but not so many get to experience. We are so happy that you were able to do it this year.

Your descriptions of what it felt like to be a guest in our hotel are spot-on with what we try to provide, so this review makes us extremely happy to read. Thank you so much for adding your name to the list of people who come back again and again for our signature event, and thanks also for being a visitor to our fair hotel at other times of the year.

Most important to us is the kind of service that our team members provide to our guests, and it appears that you value that as well – thank you for noting your pleasure with that aspect!

We look forward to your return visit soon, and again convey our thanks for your loyalty, and for taking the time to write this review.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

A long-awaited trip to spend Halloween in Salem MA was very wisely spent at the Hawthorne! Conveniently located in the middle of the action during All Hallows Eve, we were able to view the festivities from our 6th floor room or venture out into the action! The hotel does a great job of preserving original vintage elements while bringing modern amenities to the table. We spent two days at two other five star hotels in Boston both before and after our time at the Hawthorne, and their beds couldn't hold a candle to the beds at the Hawthorne - we slept GREAT!
While Hurricane Sandy blew through town, we spent a good chunk of time in the Hawthorne's Tavern on the Green and had great service and creative cocktails amidst the gorgeous vintage woodwork, and happily conversed with both other travelers and met some wonderful local folks. Again, the Hawthorne's restaurant provided some of the most delicious food on our trip and the service was first rate. The Hawthorne is a unique travel experience; it hearkens to an era gone by, but delivers all the comfort of present day living. We're coming back for Halloween next year!

Room Tip: Get a room that looks out onto the main street in town. It's a cat-bird seat!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear pegaya:

Oh, my goodness! What a terrific review you have written here. Your words certainly convey exactly what we are trying to provide for each and every guest – the service of a time when service was more prevalent than it is today, combined with the comfort of an up-to-date set of amenities.

We purchased our beds from Gardner Mattress here in Salem, and we are so proud to offer them to our guests, as they are first-rate in every way, as well as being a “made-in-America” product which we know is something valued by many travelers today. We know we can purchase mattresses more inexpensively, but we also know that a comfortable nights sleep is one of the most important aspects of any hotel stay.

In addition to the room comfort, we put a great deal of emphasis on providing top-notch service and delicious food, so it certainly makes us happy when we read a review such as yours and can see that we have been successful in providing just what you thought was perfect.

Thank you again so very much for your kind words, for taking the time to write them, and for planning a return visit to our fair city of Salem. We look forward to welcoming you back again, hopefully minus the exciting weather, next year.

Windham, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

My first time at the Hawthorne Hotel, I was attending a confrence. The hotel is beautiful, all the staff were so friendly and helpful. The food was great,we had a buffet for lunch,nice presentation. My room was great, the bed was very comfortable and the best part (for me) was the towels, soft and great smelling. I would definity stay there again and recommend it to friends. Nice area to walk around, a park, shops and some fun resturants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Michelle T:

As I read your review of our hotel, it happened that I was on the other side of the country, staying in a hotel, so it was especially interesting to me that you noted how good-smelling our towels were to you. The reason it was interesting is that the hotel I was staying in had towels (and sheets) that reeked of chlorine, and that just didn’t make for a great hotel stay. I am so happy to read that we get that part right, and I will be sure to share your review with our Housekeeping and Laundry Manager.

Your other comments were equally great to read, from the fact that you enjoyed your conference food, to the comfortable bed, and your enjoyment of the area where our hotel is located. All of these details are important to other travelers, and we are so pleased to see you write about them.

Thank you so much.

Warm regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We recently stayed again at the Hawthorne Hotel, but this time stayed in the Felicia Bridges guest house next door. What a pleasant surprise this was, it was a suite with a nice Queen bed and a great sitting area with a cozy table and even a counter with a wet bar. There is also a small balcony out back with a table if you want to get some fresh air. We ate a late dinner at the bar, we both had the burgers and they are first rate, cooked perfectly and served with fries. Alison the bartender was great. The Hawthorne is right in the center of town, and we were able to walk around and see the sights and enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail at one of the local restaurants.

Room Tip: Nice room if you are staying for more than one night and need some room to spread out in.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear QInKeeper:

Thank you so much for the detailed review of your most recent stay in our historic guest house, the Fidelia Bridges house. We are sincerely appreciative of your kind comments.

I will make sure to recognize Allison for her noteworthy service, as well as to pass along your comments about your food to the chefs and line cooks.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Wyoming, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The beds are extremely comfortable. The rooms are up to date but still with original features. It was wonderful to have the hotel so close when you got tired or wanted to drop off bags between shopping. I ordered room service one night and I felt like a queen when they brought it to me and set the tray right on my bed for me when I was all snuggled in. They allow pets. The elevators are small but it is an old bldg. I was on the 5th floor. Every morning when I was getting ready, the power went out once each day. But they fixed it in minutes. When we were leaving we had a cart for our luggage. It took about 10 minutes to wait for an elevator so we could fit it on with us. But, I if I went to Salem again, I would not want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is the haunted floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Terri30PA:

Each and every guest who writes a review for us here on TripAdvisor does such a great service for other travelers that we just have to start out by thanking you for writing. Your review gives a unique perspective, since not every travelers to our hotel tries out our in-room dining service. Thank you for noting how special it made you feel.

I am so sorry to read about the power issue, and hope you will contact me by either calling me at 978-744-4080 or by emailing me at info@hawthornehotel.com so I can learn more about when and how this was occuring. We have been upgrading different aspects of the hotel over time, and I had thought that most of the power-related issues were corrected, so this was a surprise to read. It would be very helpful if I could speak with you directly to learn more.

You are correct about the elevator situation at times. We do have only the two elevators, and at times the demand for them is at peak levels. We appreciate your patience and loyalty to our property in recommending us to future travelers. Thank you again.

Greenfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was the 2nd year we stayed in Salem for Halloween, but the first time we stayed at the Hawthorne. All staff (reception desk, wait staff, maintenance) was friendly and helpful. We were on the 6th floor, and had a scenic view of downtown. It is perfectly located in the center of all of the Halloween activity. Ate breakfast at Nathaniels, and lunch at the Tavern, both located off the lobby of the hotel. Both meals were very good, and fast service. The rooms were very nice and comfortable, and although we did not bring pets, I was glad to hear that it is a pet friendly hotel. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Hawthorne Hotel. It was a great experience! One of the best I've ever had at a hotel.

Room Tip: We were in room 614, which had a great view of the town. It is on the 6th floor, which is also the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Angela S:

Thank you for trying out our hotel, and for your kind comments about it. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay as much as you did, and we look forward to welcoming you back again, hopefully sooner than a year from now.

While many people come to Salem for October and for Halloween, we are such a wonderful place to visit the rest of the year, and generally speaking an even better place to visit because the demand is not as high. That lessened demand translates into lower prices for hotel rooms, no lines at the attractions, and no or little wait for tables in our restaurants.

Perhaps you will return with your pet, and enjoy our Very Important Pet package for your next visit?

Thank you again for writing such a compelling “word picture” of a stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate it.

Best regards,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
The Wylie Inn and Conference Center at Endicott College
Winthrop Arms Hotel
Winthrop Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Winthrop

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!