“Fantastic hotel in the heart of Salem”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic hotel in the heart of Salem”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Hotel was just amazing. Very old fashioned, but in a gorgeous way, it was just lovely. We got there around midday after catching a red-eye flight, hoping but not overly confident of a early check in, and the staff member that was on the front desk, Julia, let us check in early for some much needed sleep. She was amazing, so friendly and helpful and really set the standard for our stay. Our room was gorgeous, bathroom was lovely, housekeeping provided fresh towels and toiletries daily, you could post postcards from the front desk, free wi-fi and parking,the whole hotel caters to everything you could think of. It's right across from the Witch Museum and within walking distance to the main part of Salem. Absolutely loved this hotel, cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Belinda B:

Thank you for writing such a glowing review. I am glad we were able to provide consistently excellent service throughout your stay with us. Thank you for specifically recognizing Julianne. She will receive special recognition based on your comments.

I am happy we were able to accommodate you with any early check in. It can often be difficult but we understand that after a long day of travel, you simply want to relax. During our busy season it can be more difficult to accommodate such requests but I am thrilled we were able to make you comfortable immediately upon arrival.

Thank you again for this thoughtful review. It will be a great benefit to future travelers of Salem. I hope to see you at the Hawthorne again very soon.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Turkish first
Nova Scotia
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a perfect hotel for a great vacation!IWe stayed here 3 nights during October ,we got to see the parade from our hotel room as well since we had a dog with us, she was scared of big crowds but it passed right by our window !!The room was always cleaned on time and they use some kind of cleaner/air freshner that smells amazing would love to know what it was ?Also the beds were sooo comfortable . We stayed on the 6th floor one of the haunted floors and I did have a few experiences!!We didn't eat at the restaurant but it was beautiful in there set up!The front desk was always very helpful when we had questions and were very nice!This hotel was within walking distance to everything which made it soo convinent, much better than driving everywhere and having to pay for parking every time.We are defiently coming back hopefully next October again and will chose this historic hotel for sure I loved it here!Hope this review helps for everyone thinking about chosing this BEAUTIFUL hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SalemMassLover
Dear sunbeachblonde:

Thank you for your kind words about our Hotel. It seems you had an amazing trip visiting Salem.

In regards to the air freshener we use when cleaning the rooms, it is a product that we purchase commercially. If you would like, we could arrange to have you order some through us. Feel free to give me a call at 978-744-4080 if you are interested.

Though we never claim to be a “haunted” Hotel, we like to keep track of any paranormal experiences our guests may have. I would love to hear more about what you experienced on the sixth floor if you have some time. Again, please do not hesitate to call me.

You did an excellent job highlighting every aspect of the Hotel from our décor to our staff. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time out of your day to do this for us.

Hopefully we will see here at the Hotel again soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed two nights this past July at the Hawthorne Hotel. My room was small and cozy which I did not mind because there was a spacious lobby downstairs with two restaurants conveniently located on-site. I ate at both and especially enjoyed The Tavern. I arrived late the first night and ate dinner there. Expecting pub food sandwiches, I was pleasantly surprised to find a full dinner menu. Eveything was delicious and the waitresses were attentive, something I appreciate as a woman travelling alone. The hotel has free parking and is located within a few blocks of the main shopping and touring streets. I enjoyed walking and bus tours and learning more about the "hysteria" as the witch trials are referred to. I highly recommend this historic hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Patricia D:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review for us. You touched on everything from our restaurants to our convenient location within the city and it will certainly benefit future Salem visitors.

I am pleased to hear about your experience in the Tavern. We strive to make each guest feel at home from check-in to check-out and I am glad we were able to make you comfortable during your brief stay. Thank you for recognizing the hard work that the staff puts in daily. I will be sure to share your comments with the entire team.

It seems you were really able to soak in the city during your stay as there is nothing better than walking Salem. It is the best way to experience everything it has to offer.

Thank you again for such a well written and kind review.

Long Island, New York
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel a number of times over the years. The location (the majority of the attractions are within walking distance of the hotel), the food (the lobster quesadillas at The Tavern are delicious), the staff, the cleanliness, and the comfort of the hotel, in our opinion was outstanding!!! We look foward to our next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dee H:

Though you kept your review concise, it will be extremely beneficial to future Salem travelers. We love to hear from our repeat guests. I am thrilled that we have been able to make your visits to Salem consistently comfortable and relaxing.

We receive comments regularly on Trip Advisor regarding the lobster quesadillas. I am glad you were able to enjoy them on your most recent visit and hopefully you will again on your future trips to the Hawthorne.

I am sure we will see you again soon. Thank you again for writing this review for the Hotel.

Temecula, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Traveling with friends for my first time in Salem. While wondering the city, we popped into the Hawthorne Hotel for lunch. The Tavern was just what we were looking for on a cool, blustery day. It was warm and inviting with a fire going, comfortable wing-back chairs and good food at a reasonable price. Our server was very friendly and the hotel general manager Juli, stopped by to chat. If I ever go back to Salem this hotel and restaurant would definitely be a stop.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Lyndncr:

Thank you for writing such a lovely review for us. It was great getting to talk to you while you were enjoying your meal in the Tavern.

During the fall months, the Tavern does have a very cozy and inviting atmosphere on these suddenly chilly days. I am glad you able to relax and escape while dining with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed not only your meal, but the service. Thank you for recognizing the hard work of our team.

I hope to see you again here at the Hotel very soon.

Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel as part of a fly drive holiday to New England. It is (as stated) in an ideal location in Salem and is very close to the witch museum, the visitor centre and seafront. The dining experience in Nathaniels was slightly disappointing in that we were the only ones eating there the night we ate in and it lacked the atmosphere referred to in previously posted remarks, however the food was good and service very good. The entrance is very inviting with lovely large old fashioned furniture and fireplace. Free coffee is supplied in that area in the morning. The room was clean but a bit dated however it was functional and in keeping with the historic american hotel experience. Reception called us after a short while to check that all was well and none of the other hotels we stayed at did that - it was a good touch. We enjoyed the trolley tour which was worth the money and very informative, we were not aware that Salem had a sea faring history. We also ate at the Bella Verona and enjoyed the food, service, atmosphere and price - well worth a visit but suggest booking as it was busy however we got squeezed in. Would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve-Marilyn:

Thank for writing such a comprehensive review. I really appreciate that you took the time to highlight each aspect of your stay with us.

I am pleased you found the service and meal you received while dining in Nathaniel’s to be of excellent quality, though I am disappointed you did not enjoy the atmosphere. I am genuinely interested in hearing guest’s perspectives on the Hotel, so if you have a moment please give me a call at 978.825.4080, extension 4300.

Overall, it seems that your visit in Salem was exceptional. Thank you for allowing us to play a small part in your experience of our wonderful city.

I hope to see you again at the Hotel soon. Thank you again for writing this review. You put a lot of thought into it and we cannot express how much we value these reviews.

Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We only stayed 1 night, but I would have loved to stay longer. Great location in teh heart of historic Salem. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were very clean, the beds were comfortable and the food was excellent! It was a little pricy, but all in all an excellent hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Katrina B:

Thank you for writing such a thoughtful review. I am glad you found everything from the accommodations to the food outstanding. Thank you for acknowledging the exceptional service you received from the staff throughout the Hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

It is always great to hear when our guests are satisfied with the cleanliness and comfort of our guest rooms. We have made many renovations to the rooms in the past year, so to know that those changes are enhancing a guests experience, truly does mean a lot to us.

Thank you for your kind words about your visit. I hope you stay with us again on your next visit to Salem.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!