“Five Stars at the Hawthorne Hotel”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our first time visiting Salem, MA and staying at the Hawthorne Hotel. It was simply beautiful! If asked to describe the Hawthorne Hotel is to say it has elegance & charm along with it's gorgeous decor! The Hawthorne Hotel has to be experienced to truly appreciate the Hawthorne Hotel's ambiance and it's surroundings. We felt as though we had walked back into a time gone-by as soon as the front doors opened. Two girls and the front desk greeted us with welcoming smiles were so helpful. We enjoyed a complimentary breakfast for two that was hearty & scrumptious! The Host and Wait Staff were very attentive to our needs. The Hawthorne is within walking distance to many attractions that Salem, MA has to offer a visitor. The Peabody Essex Museum, House of Seven Gables, Witch History Museum and so much more!

We booked our trip through AAA Travel and everything went so well, it was great! We enjoyed our stay so much that we would certainly stay at the Hawthorne Hotel again, and again! And highly recommend the Hawthorne Hotel to friends and family visiting Salem, MA

Great getaway! Worth the visit! The Hawthorne Hotel made our trip to Salem, MA an experience to be remembered!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, our room was perfect for just the two of us. Very quiet and comfortab...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Linda L:

Thank you so much for writing such a comprehensive review! I cannot tell you how much I value you taking the time out of your day to do this for the Hotel.

Thank you for recognizing the wait staff and the front desk clerks. I am thrilled that you felt welcomed immediately upon arrival. First impressions are very important to us and it is wonderful to know that yours was so pleasant.

I appreciate the high praise you have given us on every aspect of your stay. I will be certain to share this rave review with our entire Hawthorne team. Your enthusiasm for the Hotel is greatly valued.

Thank you again. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Salem.

There are newer reviews for Hawthorne Hotel

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had stayed here before and needed an overnight stop after landing at Boston and decided on this hotel. It was just as wonderful as we remembered. We had a large room with four poster bed, very clean, great period decorations in keeping with the historic hotel. Friendly welcome, great food at the tavern and fab breakfast. Shame we didn't have time on our trip to stay longer.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear GandMFisher:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel, despite only being with us for an evening. We love hearing from repeat guests and it is wonderful to know you have received consistent and excellent service on each of your stays with us.

Thank you again for such a kind review. The next time you are visiting Salem, I hope you think of us again.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Hawthorne is literally in the middle of everything, great location! There were four of us and
we had a Derby room with a bath and a half. We had just enough room, but we really weren't in
the room very much, mostly just the shower and sleep. The bathrooms were very small, which I
kinda expected from an old hotel. The staff was very responsive when we requested more towels and a circulating fan. The room was very warm even with the thermostat turned down, we kept
the windows open and fan running our entire stay. The room and hotel were very clean and well
kept, but one morning the housekeeper (who could not speak English) became VERY agitated when I could not converse with her in Spanish, still not sure what that was all about. Very nice
hotel and experience, but beware on the weekends it seems to be a highly sought after wedding
venue-very hard to get through the lobby and long waits for the elevators.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Pugmom819:

Thank you so much for your detailed review of your stay with us.

I am sorry you did not find the temperature in your room to be comfortable, but I am glad you notified staff of the issue. I am glad that aside from the heat issue, the Derby room was to your liking. During the changeable time of the year (Spring and Fall) it is hard to create a temperature base that pleases everyone, but we are so happy that you called us.

We certainly are busy this time of year, between Halloween and weddings things can get pretty crowded around here. Thank you for being patient during your time here and understanding how busy it can get. It is certainly a good indicator for future travelers when a place is very busy, as you know all those people would not be there unless it was worthwhile.

I apologize for your interaction with our housekeeping staff. If you would like to fill me in with more detail, you can call me at 978-744-4080. I would really like to get to the bottom of it, and offer that staff member some more training.

Again, thank you very much for writing such a comprehensive review. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here two years ago and had mixed feelings. There was construction going on outside my room at 7am and the beds were not that comfortable. I decided to give the hotel another try because I loved the location. I can honestly say that this time was so much better, thanks mostly to the renovation. The bed was much more comfortable and I loved all the pillows! The location is perfect and central to all the attractions in Salem. As for the food, I ate at the tavern and really enjoyed my meal and the pumpkin ale. My one tiny complaint is that it is an old hotel, and some of the noises (like the slamming room doors late at night) can be a bit annoying, but that's my own personal pet peeve. I do plan to come back hopefully sooner than later.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear SuperJ123:

Thank you so much for giving us another try and for writing about it on Trip Advisor to benefit future Salem travelers.

We have done extensive work to update the quality of our rooms in the past 18 months and to have that recognized means more than you realize. We wanted to make everything more comfortable and inviting for our guests. I am glad you could see the changes from your previous stay to your most recent one.

I apologize for the noises that were distressing you. If ever you stay with us and there are persistent disturbances, do not hesitate to contact the front desk and they will be more than happy to take action for you.

Thank you again for this wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Salem.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

From the moment you arrive, to the time you leave, the staff is attentive and helpful. The historic hotel is very clean and the rooms are well cared for. The food is excellent in their restaurants. Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Tigger33333:

Your review was brief, yet telling. You hit on so many great points of the Hotel from our high quality dining to our updated historic building and amenities.

We pride ourselves on our service to our guest and I am thrilled to hear how attentive the staff was to your needs while you stayed with us. I will be sharing your comments with the Hawthorne team.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Echoing the comments of previous reviewer, I also thought the reception staff were pretty excellent too - friendly, helpful and considerate. In addition, this hotel is in a great location, you can walk pretty much everywhere you need to from here. Parking is easy, the rooms are big and the beds comfortable. I enjoyed a couple of beers and a nice meal in the relaxed and casual Tavern bar. I would definitely recommend the Hawthorne.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jon E

Dear Jon E:

Though you may be “echoing a previous reviewer”, every review helps paint a clearer picture of what we offer at the Hotel and I sincerely thank you for taking the time to review us.

It is always terrific to hear when a guest has a wonderful stay at the Hotel, partially because of our staff. They work extremely hard and it makes us all so happy when people acknowledge and remark on our high level of service.

I am glad you were able to relax in the Tavern and enjoy both the food and atmosphere. We know our “locals” enjoy it and it is always great to hear that our guests are relaxing in the Tavern alongside them.

Thank you again for such a thoughtful review. We hope to see you return.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were so impressed with the employees of the hotel from the front desk, to the restaurant and tavern. The ladies at the front desk were so helpful from directions to suggestions on activities and restaurants. We would stop by the tavern for coffee and tea to drinks and dessert. The bartenders and wait staff were so nice and friendly.

Not once did anyone make us feel like we were imposing by asking our questions. We had their complete attention. We were checked on frequently to make sure we were good and they did their job with smiles on their faces. Even the housekeeping staff would stop and greet you with a smile and a hello.

I can’t tell you how many places I have been that it seems a bother to stop and help a customer. Employees were not only helpful but they were enthusiastic. We enjoyed staying there and look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear Gina W:

I cannot thank you enough for this review. Our team strives daily to make the most of every guest’s stay with us. To have that difficult work recognized means more to us than you know.

As your title also mentioned, I am glad you found the location of the Hotel to be ideal. We love being right at the heart of Salem as it makes visiting the city and seeing everything it has to offer that much easier.

Again, I thank you sincerely for your kind words. I will be sure to share them with the entire Hawthorne team.

Juli Lederhaus

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!