“Better a Second Time”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Philly
“Better a Second Time”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here two years ago and had mixed feelings. There was construction going on outside my room at 7am and the beds were not that comfortable. I decided to give the hotel another try because I loved the location. I can honestly say that this time was so much better, thanks mostly to the renovation. The bed was much more comfortable and I loved all the pillows! The location is perfect and central to all the attractions in Salem. As for the food, I ate at the tavern and really enjoyed my meal and the pumpkin ale. My one tiny complaint is that it is an old hotel, and some of the noises (like the slamming room doors late at night) can be a bit annoying, but that's my own personal pet peeve. I do plan to come back hopefully sooner than later.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear SuperJ123:

Thank you so much for giving us another try and for writing about it on Trip Advisor to benefit future Salem travelers.

We have done extensive work to update the quality of our rooms in the past 18 months and to have that recognized means more than you realize. We wanted to make everything more comfortable and inviting for our guests. I am glad you could see the changes from your previous stay to your most recent one.

I apologize for the noises that were distressing you. If ever you stay with us and there are persistent disturbances, do not hesitate to contact the front desk and they will be more than happy to take action for you.

Thank you again for this wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Salem.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Turkish first
Germantown, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 28, 2012

From the moment you arrive, to the time you leave, the staff is attentive and helpful. The historic hotel is very clean and the rooms are well cared for. The food is excellent in their restaurants. Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Tigger33333:

Your review was brief, yet telling. You hit on so many great points of the Hotel from our high quality dining to our updated historic building and amenities.

We pride ourselves on our service to our guest and I am thrilled to hear how attentive the staff was to your needs while you stayed with us. I will be sharing your comments with the Hawthorne team.

Thank you again for your review.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Echoing the comments of previous reviewer, I also thought the reception staff were pretty excellent too - friendly, helpful and considerate. In addition, this hotel is in a great location, you can walk pretty much everywhere you need to from here. Parking is easy, the rooms are big and the beds comfortable. I enjoyed a couple of beers and a nice meal in the relaxed and casual Tavern bar. I would definitely recommend the Hawthorne.

1 Thank Jon E
Dear Jon E:

Though you may be “echoing a previous reviewer”, every review helps paint a clearer picture of what we offer at the Hotel and I sincerely thank you for taking the time to review us.

It is always terrific to hear when a guest has a wonderful stay at the Hotel, partially because of our staff. They work extremely hard and it makes us all so happy when people acknowledge and remark on our high level of service.

I am glad you were able to relax in the Tavern and enjoy both the food and atmosphere. We know our “locals” enjoy it and it is always great to hear that our guests are relaxing in the Tavern alongside them.

Thank you again for such a thoughtful review. We hope to see you return.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We were so impressed with the employees of the hotel from the front desk, to the restaurant and tavern. The ladies at the front desk were so helpful from directions to suggestions on activities and restaurants. We would stop by the tavern for coffee and tea to drinks and dessert. The bartenders and wait staff were so nice and friendly.

Not once did anyone make us feel like we were imposing by asking our questions. We had their complete attention. We were checked on frequently to make sure we were good and they did their job with smiles on their faces. Even the housekeeping staff would stop and greet you with a smile and a hello.

I can’t tell you how many places I have been that it seems a bother to stop and help a customer. Employees were not only helpful but they were enthusiastic. We enjoyed staying there and look forward to coming back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Gina W:

I cannot thank you enough for this review. Our team strives daily to make the most of every guest’s stay with us. To have that difficult work recognized means more to us than you know.

As your title also mentioned, I am glad you found the location of the Hotel to be ideal. We love being right at the heart of Salem as it makes visiting the city and seeing everything it has to offer that much easier.

Again, I thank you sincerely for your kind words. I will be sure to share them with the entire Hawthorne team.

Boston
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We just had our wedding at the Hawthorne Hotel on 9/14/12. It was probably the best day of our lives! Everyone was great throughout the planning process and especially on the day of considering all of the details. The reception was so elegant and the ballroom was gorgeous! All of our guests keep raving about how great everything was, especially the food.

If we could get married all over again, I would certainly choose the Hawthorne Hotel. I love the charm of the hotel & Salem itself.

Laura

Dear Laura:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. I am happy we were able to play a part in your wedding.

Often weddings become a time of stress, but at the Hotel we work to do everything we can to make the day flow smoothly and be a true celebration. I am delighted that you and your husband were pleased with the arrangements of the day and also that your guests felt welcomed and enjoyed themselves.

Hopefully we will see you to celebrate your anniversary next September. Thank you again for such a thoughtful review.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was our second stay at the Hawthorne Hotel. This time we only stayed one night and, since it was our anniversary, we were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite which was huge. We really enjoyed our stay. The staff is very helpful, the rooms are clean, and it's very central to all things Salem. We didn't have a car so we walked (with our luggage) from the train station and, other than the cobblestones with roller bags, it was an easy walk--less than 10 minutes.

Our previous stay was 5 years ago and we stayed 3 nights and had a car. The parking lot out back is very convenient if you are driving--we were there in high season then and had no trouble getting a spot. Also, last time our room was much smaller so just be aware that, if you want a larger room, the sizes here really vary so be sure to read the descriptions online.

Both times we stayed we ate at the Tavern and really enjoyed the food there. Would stay again if visiting Salem!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear LikaKana82:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. I am glad you were pleased with the suite during your stay with us and that we got to play a small part in celebrating your anniversary.

I am happy to hear you were able to navigate the cobblestones. They can be tricky but certainly add to the quirks that make Salem such a distinctive and interesting place to visit.

I appreciate you highlighting the importance of our online room descriptions. We have thirteen different room types that vary greatly in square footage, type and size of bathroom, the size of the bed, and the exterior views. While all of our rooms have some amenities in common (flat screen televisions, iPod docking stations, complimentary HBO and wireless internet) the sizes are all quite different. In the future, never hesitate to call ahead and have the front desk staff explain the options for you.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Hinckley
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Atmospheric and of a certain period; 'Shining'-style corridors will appeal to those with a leaning toward the supernatural, but it subscribes to none of the cliches one might expect of a hotel in the centre of Salem!
Staff were super-efficient and friendly, and the 'help-yourself' coffees and teas are out by 5m each day!Very clean and tidy. Some little odd noises but they only add to the vibe.
Location perfect - across the street from the Salem Witch Museum, if that is your thing (it wasn't ours).
Good, traditional bar - try the Custom House Trade martini.
(Charming mailbox with glass a mailing tube which runs from the 5th floor down to the lobby - watch those postcards fly!)

1 Thank Inkymole
Dear Linkmole:

This was such a pleasure to read. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

I am glad you could appreciate the unique “vibe” that not only Salem has to offer but our Hotel. We are always working to stay current and updated, while maintaining the charm that make the Hawthorne Hotel such an exceptional place to visit.

I am glad you found the staff both welcoming and efficient. We strive to make all our guests feel at home and every staff member plays a role in that. Thank you for recognizing their hard work.

Again, we greatly appreciate your review. It will be of great assistance to prospective travelers of Salem.

Hope to see you again soon,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!