“Top Notch Hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Los Angeles, California
“Top Notch Hotel!”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

The Hawthorne is an amazing historic hotel & we will always look to stay there when in Salem. We vacationed there for Halloween and the Hawthorne Halloween Ball is with out a doubt the absolute best Halloween party! The staff were nothing but helpful and friendly as well. The hotel is within walking distance to any and everything you could want or need. The Tavern and Nathaniel's are inviting, as well as, the lobby of the hotel. Needless to say that when our Halloween vacation was over, we were more than ready to book for next year. Yes....we have already booked for Halloween 2012 & can't wait to see you again in Oct!!

You can not go wrong with The Hawthorne.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear Ben1313:

Thank you so much for the excellent review. We do love our Halloween Ball event and all the guests we have who join us year after year. Thank you so much for writing about it. I’m sure your review will be helpful to other visitors, whether coming for Halloween, or any other visit.

We look forward to seeing you again in October.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Turkish first
Wolcott, Connecticut
Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

Always look for an opportunity to stay here. Can walk anywhere you want to go or just stay here as The Tavern is great of for more formal dining eat at Nathaniel's.

One of the few Hotels where waiting in the lobby is a pleasure.

Will always return when the opportunity arises.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chetzak
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Chetzak:

It is with much gratitude that I write to you in response to the review you have recently posted here about staying at the Hawthorne Hotel. Thank you so very much; we sincerely appreciate your time and effort on our behalf.

While it is brief, your review is clearly succinct, and gives future travelers all of the information that they might want.

We look forward with great anticipation to your return.

With kindest regards,

Massachusetts
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We live off Salem Common and the Hawthorne is a gem. We spend most of our time there enjoying dinner in the Tavern. The food is prepared very well, from great burgers to more sophisticated entrees The Tavern is a really nice, comfortable, wood-panelled room overlooking the Common. Just a great place to enjoy a casual dinner any time of year. My wife and I pop over for dinner about every week and a half. The service is always good - professional and friendly.

We enjoy dinner at Nathaniel's as well - the kitchen turns out beautiful dinners. But, we enjoy the comfy Tavern a great deal and especially recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear SalemSoxFan:

Thank you so much for being such a loyal fan of the Tavern, as well as Nathaniel’s, our two restaurants here a the Hawthorne Hotel. It is nice of you to share your thoughts with the travelers who read these reviews and might come to the hotel for a visit.

We are pleased to have a large local following here in Salem. I believe that, more than any advertising we can do, is important to the success of our business. Therefore we try to focus on doing what we do as proficiently as we can to insure the kind of repeat business that continues to attract our residents of Salem and the area, as well as visitors from out of town.

Thank you again for writing, and for your ongoing support!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I am leaving Salem this morning but wanted to make sure I write review. I have stayed here numerous time-this is the ONLY place I stay at when in Salem. The vibe of the hotel is great, the lobby with its music and homey atmosphere is very inviting, and Nathaniel's and The Tavern are wonderful. I love the bathroom upgrades. The front desk girls are so nice. Check out the blog on the hotel's site too. You can get fun ideas of things to do. I will be back in the summer. Karen

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KarenDeGennaro
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear KarenDeGennaro:

Talk about being proactive! Karen, you really are special!! Thank you so much for doing this for us, and for other travelers considering staying at the historic Hawthorne Hotel, as well as eating in our two restaurants.

You certainly touched on all of the highlights of a stay at the Hawthorne Hotel, as well as noting that our blog is worthy of being looked out in terms of planning your visits. With encouragement like this, I will certainly endeavor to keep it up!

Thanks again for writing this terrific review. We greatly appreciate your support.

Warm regards,

Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed May 4, 2012

After spending a week at the Hawthorne Hotel, I can honestly say that each day was wonderful. In addition to providing a beautiful environment that celebrates its history, the hotel is situated perfectly in Salem -- right next to the Salem Commons -- and within an easy walking distance to various shops, restaurants, theatres, and museums. As impressed as I was by the attention to detail in the decor of the hotel and the beauty and comfort of my suite, what makes the Hawthorne even more special to me is the personal attention and care that each member of the staff demonstrates towards patrons and guests. Absolutely every employee I met or encountered at this fine hotel was friendly, professional, and attentive. This was the second year that I attended a writer's conference hosted at the Hawthorne, and I also found their professional attention to detail with regard to the conference requirements outstanding as well. Without doubt, I will recommend this timeless historic hotel to friends and business associates. There is no other hotel I would stay at when in Salem but the Hawthorne.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear AKBilsky:

What a wonderfully kind and fulsomely-written evaluation! Thank you so much for doing this, as your perspective of being a guest who stayed for multiple days, and multiple visits is very important to new guests thinking about staying at the historic Hawthorne Hotel.

We especially value your kind comments about the personal attention and care that you received. That is the part of every human interaction that is fraught with peril, and in this current climate of impersonal and sometimes offshore “service,” telephone trees, and “press whatever” to get to a person who really has no ability to change the outcome of things, we put a special emphasis on being the exact opposite. We want our guests to receive the kind of true hospitality and personal attention that you define in your review.

Thank you again for writing. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Cicero, New York
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I attended a writers' conference here, and I'd go back in an instant! The staff was helpful, efficient, and the food was fabulous (even banquet food!). The beds and pillows were comfortable. The rooms were clean and bright. The windows actually opened (!!) which was a treat. I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel. I'll be back with my family and we'll all enjoy the Hawthorne and the womderful, historic Salem! BTW, the people in Salem are very friendly, too!

Room Tip: The sixth floor is pet-friendly!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear 100CHRISTINA100:

Thank you so much for your lovely review of the Hawthorne Hotel. We are so pleased that you really enjoyed the features that the Hawthorne Hotel offers its guests.

You will be interested to know that we have had movie stars and other entertainers staying here simply because we have windows that one can open. So few hotels of current vintage have that feature, but many people still appreciate fresh air.

I will share your comments about the friendly people of Salem with the director of the Salem Chamber of Commerce and the director of the Destination Salem, our visitor organization. They will be happy to see your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Happy writing,

Canterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed May 2, 2012

The thought occurred to me that I've had the pleasure of staying at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, Massachusetts many, many times and have enjoyed every single visit yet have never written a Trip Advisor review letting people know what a wonderful place it is. Time to amend that!

I first started staying at the Hawthorne in the fall of 2010 while on a visit to my daughter's college in nearby Beverly though I had been wanting to stay since having a wonderful lunch at The Tavern in October of 2008. Since then I've stayed at the Hawthorne more times than I can remember with my last visit being this past April.

Having had lots of time to build up expectations as to what a stay at the hotel named for Salem's native son and literary phenom, Nathaniel Hawthorne, might be like I've got to say that I was not disappointed in the least. All of my expectations were not only met but exceeded as I was treated like visiting royalty by the staff who obviously know exactly what good customer service is and deliver on just that. My youngest daughter and I enjoyed that first visit so much that we've made the Hawthorne Hotel our "go to" place whenever I wander up to Salem - which has become a lot over the past few years!

Walking into the lobby of the hotel with its overstuffed couches and chairs and beautiful floral arrangements sets the tone for what one's stay is going to be like - gracious elegance minus any pretentiousness. From the hotel's comfortable guest rooms with new luxurious linens and recently renovated baths to the warmth of Nathaniel's - the hotel's award-winning restaurant that offers some pretty amazing specials on a regular basis - to the casual coziness of The Tavern where guests can enjoy scrumptious meals, delicious desserts, and taste-tempting spirits while sitting either at the bar or at one of their comfy tables fireside, there is just nothing to not like about the Hawthorne Hotel.

Of course being located in Salem where mass hysteria gripped the town in 1692 and the infamous witch trials ensued, there are rumours that the Hawthorne has its own haunted room or two also. Having stayed in both rooms where others have reported some form of paranormal activity, I tried to sleep with one eye open to see if anything went bump in the night but alas, I can only say that if anything out of the ordinary did happen I never noticed it as I was too busy comfortably sleeping the night away!

Others may have different tales to tell but as for myself the only haunting of the Hawthorne that I can report is myself in the halls as often as possible as the Hawthorne Hotel has rapidly become my "happy place" on the North Shore.

Room Tip: Rooms on the sixth floor towards the front of the hotel or on the same side as Salem Common offer so...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LindaOSki
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear LindaOSki:

Because I have a self-imposed policy of responding to each and every TripAdvisor review, I find myself now writing back regarding the absolutely nicest review we have ever received!

Thank you hardly seems adequate but certainly is appropriate – I just wish there were more monumental words to convey our feelings to you.

Should you find yourself traveling back to the Hawthorne Hotel, and is seems like that might be the case, I would certainly love to meet you in person to express our gratitude for such a lovely review. Please feel free to contact me at 978-744-4080 to speak to me in person, so that I might arrange to do that.

Thank you again, and again, on behalf of our entire TEAM here at the historic Hawthorne Hotel.

Warm regards,

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!