“Avoid - poor service & no corporate entity to answer to”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Lexington, Massachusetts
“Avoid - poor service & no corporate entity to answer to”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My family and I wanted to escape to Salem for one night. We had never stayed at the Hawthorne so decided to try it. I wish so much in retrospect, we had stayed at the Salem Waterfront as we had many times before, but we thought a new hotel might be fun. We were mistaken.

We went out to eat and arrived back at the hotel at about 8:30 pm and very quickly realized the lock on our door did not work. We called the front desk to report this and the gentleman working acted as though he did not believe us and said he would personally come check. When he arrived and verified that the lock was dysfunctional, he said he could offer us a different room if having our door lock was "important to us". After a few more minutes, he called us and informed us that as a party of 5 another single room that could accommodate us was not available (though he did not offer 2 smaller rooms), so the only choice he could suggest is calling the "engineer". He did this, and eventually an older gentleman arrived with tools and VERY LOUDLY proceeded to "fix our lock". This took about 45 minutes of off and on banging. He was there so long, that he was laughing at "Family Guy" with us and then making so much noise that the movie we watched following was virtually inaudible.

Meanwhile and unbelievably despite the racket, two of our children passed out from exhaustion (out in the sun all day). Our other son kept us company until the man left (around 10:30) then within 15 minutes we all proceeded to conk out.

SO essentially, ALL of our awake time was spent with this ordeal and with tons of disruption all because of dysfunctional locks.

One of the last things my husband did before he fell asleep was to call the front desk and at the very least request a late checkout, which they promptly denied us, explaining that our room was already "promised" to another guest. (They gave us 11:30 instead of 11:00).

I actually woke in the middle of the night because I was so upset about our spoiled "one night" vacation that I filled out the comment card explaining the events that had transpired. After which, I was able to fall asleep again.

The next morning, none of us felt like eating there, but we had already made brunch reservations, and not feeling right about canceling them at the last minute, we reluctantly gave the Hawthorne one last try. The food was very good, so we had our fingers crossed, but then, once more, the hotel staff showed us their poor service. Waitstaff had repeatedly approached us to order more, but after a $200 brunch, we just wanted to sit and sip our coffee for a few minutes. A moment or two later, the hostess approached our table and asked us if "we would mind" moving our conversation to the lobby couches as another party was waiting for our table. It was not as though we had been there all day. It had been little more than an hour. I was honestly in shock at the utter rudeness, and yet the service at the hotel had been so poor, that I should not have been surprised.

On our way out, my husband gave our comment card to the front desk clerk who read it over and apologized. She said that the events we described had been in the record book and that the hotel manager would be picking up the comment cards. She assured us we would promptly receive a call from her. To date however (going on 5 days later), we have not.

One of my husband's coworkers chuckled at our naivete, telling us an independent hotel would never call us after an experience like that, because without a corporate office to answer to, they would just "blow us off". I guess he was right.

I strongly advise avoiding this hotel. Service was atrocious, and if there is a problem, they clearly do not care.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank LisaAnneN
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
While certainly hard to read, we do appreciate the time this guest took to let us know about the imperfect experience they had with both their room and the ending to their brunch experience in Nathaniel's.

Unfortunately when this guest stayed with us I was on vacation, and the comment card that was left for us was waiting for me upon my return to work today. I immediately called and apologized for the "perfect storm" of poor service that these guests encountered, and made financial and other amends as a symbol of our apology.

We will use these faux pas to improve our service delivery to all future guests, as we know that the service experience is the most important part of any interaction in the hospitality business.

It is our hope that any future travelers will understand that this kind of situation was an anomaly, and certainly not the normal way we treat our guests.

Juli Lederhaus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night and would happily come back again. The front desk staff were very efficient and friendly and room service was quick and enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Aly0808
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Dear Aly0808:

Short and sweet, your review really says it all. Thank you for pointing our our excellent customer service.

We sincerely appreciate your time and commentary.

Berwick, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 8, 2011

after vacationing in Maine and returning to Pa. we decided to stay and see Salem. In room 401, I heard a whisper in my ear " yes things are odd here" startled I told my wife. In the middle of the night my wife heard knocking from the room next door on our wall...... It turned out the room was a storage closet next door. While packing the next morning to leave my deodorant stick was missing after showering that I had left in the bathroom.
The room was comfortable but small. The staff was wonderful along with free parking. nice place but kinda odd.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DENWAR18603
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
Hmmm. . . . it seems as though you may have had an usual experience at our historic Hawthorne Hotel. I have had no prior reports of that room having "odd" happenings, but one never knows. We will certainly keep your comments on record for future research.

It seems as though otherwise you enjoyed your stay. We do appreciate hearing from you, and would like to welcome you back another time, perhaps to one of our much larger rooms. We do always make full disclosure to guests who reserve these, our smallest room types, and try to persuade people that they are only comfortable for a single guest. I do hope that we made the room size clear to you upon booking?

Thanks again for writing.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Great location in the heart of Salem; Our room was small, with a very small bathroom. I had to be careful not to hit my elbows on the sink or the edge of the door jamb when I used the toilet. My adult daughter and son shared a large room next to ours. We paid extra because it said that there were two bathrooms and thought that it would be easier for them to have separate baths. However, one bath was only a toilet and sink. The other "bath" was just a bathtub. Not very helpful when trying to get ready for a wedding.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Mary77030
Thank you for writing about your stay in our hotel. We do very much appreciate hearing from our guests. First-hand comments that T/A reviewers make always help us improve.

For example your commentary about the bathroom leads me to believe you were in our newly renovated handicap-accessible room. We just recently had that room type change, from a full two-bathrooms to a split, with a sink and stool in one room, and the bathtub in the other. Just this week we created a new roomtype in our reservation system which details that change, but I imagine you reserved the room before the changes went into effect.

In any case, we do wish you had said something about the bathroom situation while you were here, as we may have been able to make a change to better accommodate you. That is actually a hotel manager's dream -- to have guests let us know when they first encounter any kind of issue so we can see if anything can be done to make things better, while the guests are here.

Thank you again for writing. We do sincerely appreciate hearing from you, and thank you for your kind comments.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed here in June and found it to be fine. It was abit bit more expensive then i though it should be, but.... It is an older but well kept hotel. The service was good and the food at the two dinning areas was good. Breakfast was exceptional. The big thing is that it has ample parking that you are checked into and place an expiration card on your dashboard that shows when ypou are checking out and of course your parking expires then. You will see in a visit to Salem that parking is the biggest preium that you will need to secure. It is also very centrally located so that is a plus. All in all it is a good lace to stay. if i were doing it again, I would stay outside of town and park in a parking garage. we stayed in Gloucester and drove down to Salem a second day and did this and we apid far less to park in the garage and have an overnigth saty in Gloucester. It is only 35 minutes away.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank welltraveled_9
Thank you so much for sharing your comments about staying in our historic hotel with other travelers. Each and every review is important to us as we strive to provide our guests with the best possible stay, while being able to charge a fair price that will allow us to continue to keep up our nice old building.

We do appreciate that you enjoyed our central location and convenient parking, and that you truly enjoyed our wonderful breakfast food.

Thank you again for writing.

Bronx, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2011

What do you get when you take 6 girls and place them in the Hawthorne Hotel??? A fabulous time!!! This was the 2nd time I was there and it was even better....rooms were always well kept....staff is very helpful.....We think that this place might just well be our "girl's yearly vacation spot" !!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rias1204
MassRainbow, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
We love hearing that the second time around was an improvement, but certainly what we enjoy reading the most is that you chose to return -- as a guest who comes back is certainly already knowledgeable about our property, and is making a strong recommendation by the very act of coming back again.

Thanks too for all the great specifics -- they will be so helpful to future travelers!

Thanks so much for writing this review.

Kind regards,

Bronx, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This is the second year in a row that I have visited Salem and stayed at the HIstoric Hawthorne Hotel. We stayed in a 'Derby Room' both times; two queen sized beds and plenty of space to relax. The building is old, but is kept in wonderful condition and the decor is positively charming. The staff of the hotel is very courteous and helpful. We dined in the Tavern on the Green a few times and it was great. Fantastic food, good prices and lovely staff. Thanks to Adam McInnes for helping me book the trip for all six of us, and for taking excellent care of us while we were there.
It's also all about location, location, location and the Hawthorne is central to everything, so you barely have to drive once you arrive in Salem. We did a sunset cruise, and the hotel arranged for a taxi to take us and bring us back and the rates were very reasonable. We were able to walk or take the trolley to all of the other attractions such as the House of the Seven Gables, the Witch Dungeon Museum, etc. I also highly recommend Red's Sandwich Shop for breakfast. Great food and great prices.
Thanks again to all of the staff at the Hawthorne for making our stay so great. We're already checking to see if we can come back again next year. :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank sraptis15
We certainly love our customers as well, especially ones who love us back like this.

It is so helpful to other travelers when guests take the time to let future visitors know what to expect when they stay at a historic hotel like the Hawthorne. We very much appreciate the positive feedback, but it is the specifics of a review like this that makes it so beneficial.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next year, and will let Adam know of your recognition.

Thank you so much!

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!