“It was perfect”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
St. John's, Canada
“It was perfect”
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We stayed here for a wonderful 8 night trip to both Boston and Salem. I couldn't begin to explain how perfect this place was. Ada and Don were the most helpful and charming people. The room was beautiful, clean, comfortable and romantic. The town was beautiful and full of culture. The B&B itself put us in a perfect location to sightsee in both Boston and Salem. All I can say is you need to stay here if you are traveling to Salem. When I left I felt like I was saying goodbye to a close friend. Ada and Don definitely did all they could to make our stay perfect. Make a stay here a priority in your future travels. I recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Jose, CA
Reviewed December 9, 2008

I always dreamed of visiting Salem and staying at a place that was representative of the history and charm that Salem offers. I visited the second week in September. When I arrived, Ada and Don were so helpful, for which I was grateful. They helped me with my luggage, since climbing stairs is difficult for me, and gave me tips on where to eat and sights to see. (Pssst...Try the paella at Finz's.) The breakfast was delightful, as was the conversation with Ada and other guests, and the antique touches in the decor, spacious room, huge bathroom, and air conditioning made it a memorable stay. The only thing that was awkward for me was the old fashioned, 4-legged bath tub; but its charm and everything else made up for it.

Vicki from California

• Liked — The hospitality
  • Disliked — No first floor room for disabled guests and high, claw-footed bathtub a challenge, but I knew that beforehand
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 10, 2008

My friend and I celebrated our 40th birthdays in Salem for Halloween. We had an awesome time and our stay at Amelia Payson House was FABULOUS!
Ada and Don are great hosts and the breakfasts were terrific, especially the fresh fruit (pineapple, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) that was served daily as well as the baked egg dish which was out of this world!
We enjoyed gathering for breakfast and filling each other in with what everyone did the day/night before. We met some great people!
Our room was beautiful and comfy. The bathroom was very large and the body/face soaps were wonderful.
We were elated that Don came to pick us up at the train station, as well as taking us back. A little above and beyond gesture that was very much appreciated. Thank you!
If your going to Salem, you won't be disappointed staying at Amelia Payson House.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Ohio
Reviewed October 24, 2008

I stayed at the Amelia Payson House for four nights during the month of October festivities in Salem. I'm so glad I found this B&B! It was a great location - an easy walk to everything, but on a pretty and quiet side street. My room was very large - and the bathroom was huge! Like everyone has said, everything was very clean. The breakfasts were great - waffles, eggs, cereal - plenty of food and good company. I will stay here again the next time I visit Salem.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, November 5, 2008
Julie,
So glad you had a great time in Salem. While Halloween is a very busy time of year, sometimes the real essence of our great city fails to shine through. Looks like you managed to balance the historical and the hysterical...........
Brecon
Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed for a couple of nights after flying into Boston and wanting somewhere close by. Located in quiet street close to centre and Salem's attractions. Looked after by the owners in their clean and comfortable home. Not disappointed in anyway. Nicely prepared breakfasts and large bedroom etc. Cannot say much more but a happy experience at the start of a two week stay in the USA. Enjoyed Salem - people seemed very friendly and as it was October - the town was a fun place to be with its history, the residents seem to make an effort to decorate their homes and gardens with pumkins and all things halloween

Stayed October 2008
Toronto
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Ada and Don have been running their B&B for many years and it shows. They know what they need to do and what they don't need to do, and it leaves them free to be relaxed, happy, flexible and helpful hosts. They are clearly committed to Salem's success as a tourist destination and keen to make sure visitors get good advice.

The food was excellent. The "eggy concoction" that one reviewer took exception to was one of the most delicious breakfast dishes I've ever had -- and I'm accustomed to very good cooking. (Ada kindly gave me the recipe.)

Congrats to both!

Stayed September 2008
green bay wi
Reviewed September 23, 2008

This was my husband and my first experience at a bed and breakfast. Wow, how awesome. The room and bathroom was spacious and spotlessly clean. The house itself is beautiful and historic. The location is perfect and you can walk to every attraction in Salem or take the ferry to Boston.
Ada and Donald are wonderful hosts, friendly, charming and so funny. They both have a great sense of humor and make the breakfast hour fun! The breakfast is also excellant.
Thanks Don and Ada for a wonderful 4 days.

• Liked — Donald and Ada, the hosts were wonderful
  • Disliked — i loved it all
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#4 of 9 in Salem
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!