“Good alternative to Boston prices”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
Ranked #3 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Were looking for a couple of nights lodging around Boston. Glad to find this B&B. Ada & Don were personable and very helpful with information about the area & best route to Logan Airport. Breakfast with fresh fruit & heart shaped pancakes was very nice. Also nice to have a stocked coffee (thanks for having decaf!) & snack area upstairs along with the fridge available for a few personal items.
The location is very convenient to Salem Commons and the Salem attractions.
The only drawback I need to mention is the noise of Winter St from the upstairs, front bedroom. I was surprised how busy Winter St is. I was expecting more of a side street location. So if it's available, request a room on the back of the home. Otherwise, a wise buy and a nice stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 20, 2012

we stayed at the Amelia Payson House B&B in Sept of this year. This was the first time either of us had ever stayed at a bed and breakfast. It was wonderful !!!! The owners Ada and Don are such nice people and made our stay that much more. The home is beautiful. Ada filled us in on all the great things to experience while we were in Salem. I would stay again.

Thanks again Ada and Don you made our stay in Salem an awesome experience

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stacey K
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Amelia Payson House for the second time this past June......the first being about ten years ago. Its a great B&B with nice and cordial owners. Salem is a great alternative and less expensive than staying in Boston. If you want to go into Boston its an easy 30 minute train ride. Salem is an interesting and historical city. You can walk about anywhere you want to go in Salem. We will definitely stay in the Amelia Payson House again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jack J
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Jack,
Thank you for your contribution to Trip Advisor. Returning guests are the measure of our success and even though it’s been 10 years since your last visit, we were glad to hear it was as memorable as your first. Can’t say where we will be in another 10 years, but with God’s blessing and good health, hopefully we will be here next time too……… :)
Ada May

Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is a nice B&B if you like the Laura Ashley kind of house decoration. It has three rooms, which are AC. We had the one at the front, with a huge bathroom, but it was at the street side, which made it unfortunately rather noisy (the house is at a major thoroughfare). There is Wifi but it did not properly work in our room. And the queen size bed was very small indeed. The owners are very friendly and helpful, breakfast is continental but very good. We used Salem to visit Boston by train, which worked very well, the hotel is a 10 mins walk from Salem station.

Room Tip: Ask for the room at the back!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

While I always appreciate constructive information guests post on Trip Advisor, it always surprises me when people comment here first on issues that could have been corrected before or during their stay. If you had mentioned that our FREE WIFI was not working to your satisfaction, we would have looked into it at the time or made a recommendation as to how you might have had better access. Certainly, a building of 1845 vintage can have a weak spot from time to time and I apologize for its failure in your room during your stay. Also, a Queen size bed is a Queen size bed (60 x80) and if a King size is what you had preferred, we definitely would have suggested an alternative place where you could have stayed that offered King size when you phoned in your same day reservation. I would point out that your room had two beds, so you could have used the second bed that was in your room if a Queen bed was not big enough for you and your friend’s sleeping comfort. I also think height played a part as the bed had a footboard, and I will admit, we usually don’t ask guests their height during the reservation process, but maybe we should in the future. I’m glad to hear that Don and I were helpful in organizing your daily trips to Boston, that our continental breakfast was very good, and that we obtained 5 stars for cleanliness.

My apologies for any traffic noise, as we are in the city, within the downtown district, which is usually a plus when you can walk everywhere within 5 to 10 minutes, including train or ferry transport to Boston. Of course, acceptable traffic sounds depends on what you are used to, so this too should be a consideration when phoning any accommodations and prior to making a reservation.( I might also suggest that you consider packing ear plugs when you travels as I have noticed in many of of your reviews you frequently have issues with traffic noise and seem to stay in a lot of cities.)

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor; all good points for our future guests to consider……. Ada May Roberts

Reviewed August 28, 2012

After reviewing several options, my wife and I decided to stay at the Amelia Payson House for a three day weekend in Salem, Mass to celebrate our anniversary. The Amelia Payson House is a Bed and Breakfast with three rooms. Our room was lovely. As you may have read in other reviews, the bed was a bit harder than usual. However, I had no problem sleeping and I tend to be a fussy sleeper. In the morning, all of the guests gathered for breakfast with our hosts, Don and Ada. We had never been to a B&B before and were unsure what it would be like sitting and talking with total strangers during breakfast. It turned out to be great actually. We all had a wonderful conversation, and the other guests were very nice. The breakfasts on both mornings of our stay were great as well. We had waffles the first day and a sort of continental breakfast the second day. Our hosts were very gracious and very helpful. The B&B itself is only a few blocks from the heart of Salem. We did not need to use our car during the entire trip. I should mention here that although Salem is a nice town, it tends to close very early. Outside of the restaurants, everything else is basically closed by 5:00. I heard other people complaining about this aspect of Salem while we were there. Mind you, we are not the types to be in a bar until all hours of the night, but it would have been nice to be able to take an evening stroll and browse in some shops while eating an ice cream cone, like we've done in countless other cities and towns we've visited, especially ones in which tourism is one of the main economic engines. For this reason, I would hesitate about going back to Salem. However, if you do plan to go, you can't do better than the Amelia Payson House.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matt R
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

It was nice to hear that your first stay at a B&B was a positive new adventure and that you were at ease in our breakfast setting. Certainly, each morning’s breakfast lends a difference experience; as diverse as the personalities around the table. Most times, recommendations of other guests sharing their previous day is a great way to find out the real deal with activity suggestions pro and con. Sorry to hear that you found little to do at night. I will admit retail shops and Museums tend to close by 5 or 6pm, with walking tours, harbor cruises, the movies, or dining and ice cream shops that stay open at night. Although most restaurants offer live music on weekends, I agree strolling through the shops at night would be nice too. (In defense of the shops closing early…. they have from time to time tried to stay open at night on weekends, but where most of the shops are sole proprietors, if they don’t ring the register at night, they don’t tend to stay open. Of course, in October, that is a different story all-together.)

Again, thank you for your kind and thorough posting on Trip Advisor, and Happy Anniversary!
Here to serve 24/7…  Ada May & Don

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My mother and I decided to visit Salem, MA on a long weekend getaway. We were extreamly happy with our choice to stay at the Amelia Payson House. Ada and Don were very friendly! It was very easy to find and close enough to walk to all the attractions and sites in town. We stayed in room 203 and it was beautiful!! From the decor of our room to the little sitting area outside of it it was so nice and inviting! The room was spotless, probably the cleanest place we have ever stayed! They have such nice towels in the bathroom that really make you feel at home, not like the ruff ones you normally get in a hotel. The soaps Ada puts in the bathroom smells so good along with the Honey shampoo. They even leave snack bags of chips in the sitting area and coffee to enjoy along with all the info you need about the local attractions on the wall. The breakfast was always good and tasty!! There is a nice backyard with a table and chairs to sit outside if you like as well. This is a great B&B to stay at for any kind of a weekend getaway. If I was to go back to Salem I would be going back there with out a doubt.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Christine,
Don and I were so glad to hear how great your Mother & Daughter getaway turned out and that you were “extremely happy” in your choice of accommodations at the Amelia Payson House; a major decision when planning any overnight getaway. Weather permitting, sitting out in the backyard on the deck after a long day touring is definitely a great place to soak in the neighborhood and watch a little wildlife, mostly squirrels and birds, but relaxing just the same. Add a little wine and cheese, and you might just see more……. :)
So glad you had a great visit. We wish you many more great weekend adventures with your Mom in the future.
Ada May

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I can't say enough good things about our girls' trip to the East Coast. Don and Ada are so friendly and helpful. Their B&B is spotless and so charming. One of us is a smoker, and there is a beautiful backyard with space provided for smoking. The off-street parking is also a plus, but the location makes it possible to walk everywhere and we did: to downtown Salem, the train station, House of Seven Gables; but Don was kind enough to drive us to the ferry for our day trip to Boston, although we could have walked. We also felt very safe walking back late at night. I would definitely recommend this B&B, and should I visit Salem again, this will be the place I'll stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy K
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Hi Kathy & Kathy,
Thanks so much for the glowing review. It was a pleasure to host you both and help make your girls trip a memorable one, whale watch and all. Both Don and I enjoyed the conversations at breakfast and all the knowledge you shared about memory foam toppers for our beds. We did order one and it arrived last week. Hope it does the trick!
Ada May & Don

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!