Amelia Payson House
Official Site
$144
$209
Travelocity
Wylie Inn and Conference Center(Beverly)(Great Value!)
$143
$129
$171
Plaza Motel(Peabody)
$89
All reviewsbed and breakfastwonderful hostswithin walking distancefamily dogother guestsbiscottibreakfast was deliciousimmaculate roomsfire pitensuite bathroomhocus pocuseach morningkeurig machinehome away from homeloved our staygirls weekendanyone visiting salem
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My mother and I decided to visit Salem, MA on a long weekend getaway. We were extreamly happy with our choice to stay at the Amelia Payson House. Ada and Don were very friendly! It was very easy to find and close enough to walk to all the attractions and sites in town. We stayed in room 203 and it was beautiful!! From the decor of our room to the little sitting area outside of it it was so nice and inviting! The room was spotless, probably the cleanest place we have ever stayed! They have such nice towels in the bathroom that really make you feel at home, not like the ruff ones you normally get in a hotel. The soaps Ada puts in the bathroom smells so good along with the Honey shampoo. They even leave snack bags of chips in the sitting area and coffee to enjoy along with all the info you need about the local attractions on the wall. The breakfast was always good and tasty!! There is a nice backyard with a table and chairs to sit outside if you like as well. This is a great B&B to stay at for any kind of a weekend getaway. If I was to go back to Salem I would be going back there with out a doubt.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Christine,
Don and I were so glad to hear how great your Mother & Daughter getaway turned out and that you were “extremely happy” in your choice of accommodations at the Amelia Payson House; a major decision when planning any overnight getaway. Weather permitting, sitting out in the backyard on the deck after a long day touring is definitely a great place to soak in the neighborhood and watch a little wildlife, mostly squirrels and birds, but relaxing just the same. Add a little wine and cheese, and you might just see more……. :)
So glad you had a great visit. We wish you many more great weekend adventures with your Mom in the future.
Ada May

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I can't say enough good things about our girls' trip to the East Coast. Don and Ada are so friendly and helpful. Their B&B is spotless and so charming. One of us is a smoker, and there is a beautiful backyard with space provided for smoking. The off-street parking is also a plus, but the location makes it possible to walk everywhere and we did: to downtown Salem, the train station, House of Seven Gables; but Don was kind enough to drive us to the ferry for our day trip to Boston, although we could have walked. We also felt very safe walking back late at night. I would definitely recommend this B&B, and should I visit Salem again, this will be the place I'll stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy K
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Hi Kathy & Kathy,
Thanks so much for the glowing review. It was a pleasure to host you both and help make your girls trip a memorable one, whale watch and all. Both Don and I enjoyed the conversations at breakfast and all the knowledge you shared about memory foam toppers for our beds. We did order one and it arrived last week. Hope it does the trick!
Ada May & Don

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Being from Alabama we didn't know what to expect for accommodation in Salem. This was the best stay we have ever had anywhere.
Hosts were incredible and helpful & made us feel like family. Rooms are adorable and quiet.
Can't wait to come back

• Stayed: August 2012
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Deanna,
So glad you had a great visit, short as it was. It was nice to get your feedback while you were here in regards to your positive experiences with Salem’s cab service. While Boston cabs can be quite pricey, Salem Taxi has really provided great friendly service to our guests locally and when they need transportation to Boston. Sorry we didn’t see you more at breakfast, but I understand sleeping-in sometimes trumps scones, waffles and even grits!
Thank you for your kind words about our accommodations and we’re glad your stay exceeded expectations…… Ada May

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We just arrived home from a wonderful trip to New England and our stay at The Amelia Payson House couldn't have been better. Everything was great. Don & Ada were the perfect host & hostess. Their beautiful home was warm & inviting and spotlessly clean. Our room was spacious and the bathroom was hugh. The bed and pillows were very comfy. If you are visiting the Boston area in the near future treat yourself to one of the most relaxing and beautiful B&B, I know we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Helen,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. It certainly sounds like we were up to speed the days of your stay and everything worked like clockwork; meeting your expectations and then some. Owning a home built in 1845 always presents a challenge, and it’s good to hear you appreciated the charm of a historic home and an experience where history is alive within the walls. When you stay at a B&B, you will certainly have a more memorable stay; always different in every way. Sorry the Red Sox couldn’t have pulled off a win for you too, but I’m sure you enjoyed the game and all the charm of Fenway Park in its 100th year. Don and I hope to see you and Noel again on your next Red Sox visit to New England. Keep the hope alive, there are still 50 more games to go…………..Best regards, Ada May

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have definitely seen cleaner rooms, but they have all been surgical suites. This place is very clean and well-maintained. We stayed in room 203 which included a large private bath and an extra twin bed.

Some nice things about this place:
1. Off-street parking
2. Great location - we walked everywhere
3. Nice common area with fridge, coffee maker, and snacks
4. Soft toilet paper (Yes...this makes a big difference)
5. Fast WIFI
6. Friendly, accomodating innkeepers
7. In-room air conditioning control

Some possible downsides:
1. Very firm beds - If that's not your thing, you might not want to stay here
2. Continental breakfast - If you want a full breakfast, you'll have to get it elsewhere.

All in all, this is an excellent bed and breakfast. I have stayed at many B&Bs, and this is one of the very best. I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Salem

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

You can hide behind a username, but your sense of humor and tongue and cheek wit rings through. My type of guest; able to separate the wheat from the chaff. So glad to see there were 7 good points to your stay. As I’ve said before, I’ll take the hit for the firm beds, and I have started to tell people this before they make a reservation now, as we do about the second floor location and no elevator. (Oops….that’s a 3rd downside) Kidding aside, we appreciate your posting and hope to see you again. It was fun getting to know you and sharing our City and our home with you. Good luck with your future plans. I hope you hear from the Supreme Court soon………
Ada May & Donald