“I could give a better tour...”
Review of Salem Night Tour

Salem Night Tour
Ranked #10 of 33 Tours in Salem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Salem Night Tour Salem's Best Haunt and History Tour, or History Haunt Tour!. We put History first Delivery and your comfort a close second. We are the same guides who lead Tours along Boston's Freedom Trail daily since 2003, oh now you know us.We have won awards (Salem's Best History Tour 2015) NBC's Best of MA 2008)for our approach to indulging you in Salem's most famous events and infamous history. Our 90 minute experience is lead by Salem's Best guides (we sell out fast call today)
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We left our tour early it was so bad. We love hanging out in Salem and have been to a few tours. The group was too large and our tour guide rambled. She spent a lot of time talking about herself and her experiences in salem. Her stories were not that interesting. We kept going back to the same spots and hearing about off topic stories or a pseudo lecture on physics. She also yelled at another tour...awkward!

2  Thank kg3941
in 8 reviews
in 14 reviews
in 41 reviews

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Last year my husband and I toured the same Group and had a great experience. Our guide was knowledgeable and took his time. This year we referenced four friends and repeated the tour ourselves. It was thirty minutes of the guide basically whining she was exhausted as well as less several sites we Saw the year past. She stopped a guide and took all his candy en route. Then offered m&m's to a 10 year old to promptly snatch them back. It was an hour shorter and when confronted with this to the office they claimed we do tour 90 minutes nor visit 15 sites as the website clearly states does in fact. I've tried calling the tour and no one answers. Never again will I attend the tour nor reference anyone new! Strongly disappointed. I had to literally show our friends the sights the guide missed an tell the stories. Why did we pay this company when apparently I had to finish their work.

1  Thank Gypsyy
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I found this tour to be mildly disappointing. My boyfriend and I did the Salem Night Tour on September 29th. It was pouring down rain that night. The website says no refunds and that they do the tour rain or shine and provide umbrellas in the event of rain. Well, when we got there, there were over 60 people queued up for the tour; it had to be divided into two groups. And they were certainly not doling out umbrellas to thier patrons! When we asked inside about this, we were told that they sometimes get stolen and he just shrugged.Luckily, we had a small travel umbrella with us, but it was a SMALL travel umbrella and so we both pretty much got soaked.

Our tour guide was Jeff. There was another man trailing along as well, whom Jeff referred to as his "Security" and it was apparently his job to hold traffic and get cussed at by the locals so that our large group of 30+ could cross the street. I didn't really see him do much else. Anyway, our guide, Jeff, did have a lot of information, but I have to say that the presentation was best described as just plain old weird. I've been on a few ghost walks before, and I personally expected more out of a town like Salem. There were two points on the tour where Jeff asked for a volunteer. At the part where the neccessary volunteer was to be a woman, we were by a restaurant called 43 Church. He was doing this bit where he said people sometimes have this experience of apple juice running down their face and all over the front of them, as if they had just bitten into an apple. The way he went on and on about biting into an apple and getting covered in it's juices and what a mess it can make had us wondering exactly what kind of apples this guy has been eating! Sounds more like a peach to me, buddy. And the whole time, this poor woman is just standing there while he repeatedly shoves his hands in her face and we never really could figure out why he was doing that, why he needed a model for it or what it had to do with his bizarre apple story. The point of his story here was that, because of an orchard that used to be there, sometimes people experience this drippy apple phenomenon or smell apples, even though the restaurant hasn't baked any apple goods that day. The other scenario requiring a volunteer took place at the courthouse and a male volunteer was needed to stand there and stick out his tongue, representing the man who was pressed to death (sticking out his tongue was his reported response when asked if he would like to confess to the sin of witchcraft).

The historic information learned on our tour was interesting. The ghost aspect of it, not so much. It seemed more contrived and less believable. If we return (and we do hope to do so!) we will most likely go with a different company next time. This one was just....odd. And not really worth the price of admission, in my opinion, especially when you factor in the lack of promised umbrellas for a tour in the cold, pouring rain.

1  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Took this tour with Jeff on Saturday night and Salem was packed. Jeff certainly gave plenty of history about the town, ghosts, cemeteries and smuggling. Although it was noisy in town, he made sure to talk loud enough that we all could hear his interesting stories. I would certainly recommend this tour to the first time visitor.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 11, 2012

A group of friends and I recently spent the weekend in Salem and we looking forward to taking advantage of all the tours available. We were considering taking the Salem Night Tour but were glad we went with their competitors who do a candlelight tour. While on our tour, employees from the Salem Night Tour made rude remarks to our guide. One employee even came up and screamed "It's all garbage! Come to our tour!" Our tour guide handled this situation with class. She said "Thank you for your opinion sir." Even after she had made meticulous efforts to not interrupt their tours while we met at the same spots. Personally, I wouldn't take a tour with unprofessional employees!

1  Thank JeanMarie I

Been to Salem Night Tour? Share your experiences!