Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

138 Reviews
from $57.00
More Info
2,509 results
All reviews secret staircase grounds are beautiful nathaniel hawthorne birth home our tour guide nice tour gift shop interesting history self guided visiting salem new england witch trials attic chimney birthplace literature passage
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

Stopped at the house of seven gables and took the tour of this establishment. As the tour concluded I was kind of thrown off with all the changes they made to the house but yet claimed most was still original as built. The views of sprinkler piping and sprinkler heads made me feel I was in a modern version of the house.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

The tour was good and the tour guide knowledgeable. Gift store was quaint though pricey as to be expected I suppose. Not much of a wait. I think they do a tour about every 15-20 minutes or so.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

I found the tour interesting, well worth the time spent. Expect to climb arrow stairs. Small garden area was quite pretty. Others must think so, too, since there was a photo shoot for a wedding happening when I was there. Make sure you take a hop across the street to Ye Olde Pepper Co., Ltd., advertised as America’s Oldest Candy Company.

Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

Our tour guide was awesome and the whole grounds is worth each penny. Fully enjoyed this and would recommend to anyone in the greater area.

Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

It's cool to see how people lived back then. The best part is the secret passage. I wish I built my house with ceilings that low to save on heat and air conditioning ha.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

This will likely mean more to people who have read the book. It is a guided tour of some historic buildings in the area

Reviewed 5 days ago

Since I'm a huge fan of Nathaniel Hawthorne and have the book called The House of the Seven Gables, I was curious about this tour. It did not disappoint. I learned that Nathaniel Hawthorne stayed at this house (owned by his business woman cousin) for awhile and that helped influence him with ideas that later lead to the book. Also, Nathaniel Hawthorne's birth house was moved to the same property so we were able to tour both houses that morning. It helped us better understand Nathaniel Hawthorned as well as his books. And, I appreciated that witches were not mentioned during the tour. The docent explained the historical parts very well. It was a satisfying, interesting tour that wasn't too long or too short. And when you go, there is one super steep staircase to climb. You have to go up it single file, but it's do-able. We're really glad we did this tour.

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

This was such an interesting tour, we learned all about how the house became to be the house of Seven Gables. Learning about the past owners and building techniques in those times was fascinating! The gardens were also beautiful to see.

2  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This tour was recommended by a friend and it was one of our favorites . You can self guide by phone we went on Halloween which was very busy I would do it again next year just not on Halloween. It was cheap and a little off the main strip but was a nice walk from downtown.

1  Thank 399donnal
Reviewed 1 week ago

The guide was fantastic. We had a substantial wait time for our tour- so took advantage of the nice weather and sat in the garden and down near the water. The gift shop has a nice variety of items for sale. The house and its history is very interesting. I wish I had re-read the book before visiting.

1  Thank JuderT