“Good history lesson”

and up
Day Trip From Boston to Salem in Luxury Rolls Royce Ghost
Ranked #11 of 82 things to do in Salem
More attraction details
Owner description: The only remaining Salem structure with direct ties to the witch trials of 1692.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Went on an unguided tour was great lesson on the Salem witch trials and history of the Corwin family. Liked it the only thing was the tour was a little high priced for a self guided tour but still worth the trip.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We visited this property because it is one of the few remaining buildings from the 17th century to survive in Salem. It was particularly aimed at the witchcraft that Salem is so famous for, but as a piece of social history it is well worth a visit. The staff were all very helpful and interested in sharing their knowledge.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We went to see this house because of its ties to the Salem Witch Trials. It was a cute old house but it really wasnt anything special. It was a self guided tour with a couple of people around to answer question. One was very happy to help and talk to anyone, the other lady seemed indifferent. It was interesting to see the architecture and old furniture, but if you are strapped for time you can skip this attraction.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Take a stroll through the old home that has displays of period items. This only takes a few minutes to look at. There's an expert on hand for questions. Interesting. This is the house of the witch trial judge, not where witches live....

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Some of the artifacts in the house are interesting, but most of them were not part of the original Corwin house and many are recreations. Sadly, I found the staff here to be unwelcoming, unfriendly and hardly knowledgeable. One of the guides sat in the corner and seemed more interested in reading her book than in answering questions or welcoming visitors. I couldn't even get her to crack a smile. I had some basic questions about the Corwins and the architecture of the house, but she claimed "not much is known" and quickly went back to reading her book. I undoubtedly felt I was bothering her, so I didn't ask anything more of her. And while they do have restrooms for the staff, the public is not permitted to use them. In case you're curious, Jonathan Corwin was a magistrate which signed several arrest warrants for those accused during the witch hysteria trials. He also served as a judge during the trials. He lived in this house for more than twenty years and he had ten children, only four of which survived into adulthood. If you'd like to learn more about the Corwins, you can do so without paying the price of touring this house, which won't offer you much more information than I have already provided you with in this review.

1  Thank Kristine P
Elizabeth P, Manager at The Witch House/Corwin House, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I would very much like to apologize for the experience you had with our staff. There can be no justification for treating our visiting public in such a manner. Having said that, it is my sincerest belief that this negative interaction was an anomalous one. We have a few new individuals on staff for the season and it is possible they were overwhelmed by the phenomena that is October in Salem. Most of our very small staff have been here with me for years and we share a deep respect for the structure and the tragic episode of history that it bore direct witness to.

It is our absolute policy to greet visitors as they enter the room, encourage them to ask us questions as they move through the house. We then wait for them to approach us if they indeed seek clarification an any subject. I regret that your experience sullied your appreciation for the house, the collection and information contained within the rooms. We are so fortunate to be able to display such a large collection of late17 th to early 18 th century furnishings. To get a glimpse into what is truly our first footprint as Americans. Beyond that, our fascinating research on the commonality of folk magic being practiced by our colonial forebearers is worth a visit in and of itself. Learning the governor of Connecticut made cures from baked toads, Mary Sibley's witch cake recipe, the innocence of Tituba and the curse that just may have started off the entire Hysteria of 1692, all make this house unparalleled in terms of fascinating and documented history.

If ever you plan to return, please let me know. I would like an opportunity to offer you a complimentary tour.
Kindest Regards,
Elizabeth

Been to The Witch House/Corwin House? Share your experiences!