“A step back in time.”

and up
Day Trip From Boston to Salem in Luxury Rolls Royce Ghost
Ranked #35 of 78 things to do in Salem
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1930, this recreated fishing village was one of America's first living history museums.
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A step back in time.”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We went here a few times. But this time was great. a wonderful tour of the living history museum. Go check it out. a great way to see life in the early 17th century.

Visited July 2011
5 Thank APazzi

Seattle Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Old-timey fun!”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My friend and I went to Salem for Halloween weekend and did lots of the tourist activities. This was one of our favorites! It was like going back in time to the 1600s. We had fun seeing all the recreations of the old dwellings, and there were people dressed old-timey, going about their old-timey business. We squealed with delight!

Visited October 2011
2 Thank Kimba_Kutie
Cheshire, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nice and Quaint”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

This village is very small ( probably about 8 buildings or so) but it was very educational and interesting in terms of history. We were greeted by a man and woman at the front hut where admission of $6 pp was paid. Then the man took us on a guided tour and explained the history of the area and significance of the archetecture used. There were 2 more characters inside the "governors mansion" giving another educational lecture regarding ways of life, knitting, cooking and dinner serveware etc. Then last but not least, the village blacksmith actively molding metal tools and describing his typical work day. It was cute and we all enjoyed it being history buffs and all. Worth the admission.

Visited October 2011
5 Thank Rose B
Tillicoultry, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“A place with great potential”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I went to the pioneer village in off season and I was literally the only person there. Inevitably they weren't going to pull out all the stops for one visitor so I didn't see any of the live demonstrations and there were only two guides there. They were very friendly and informative though and gave me lots of information and one even ventured out into the cold and rain with me to guide me round the whole village. A big thanks to them. I just feel guilty I didn't tip because they went above and beyond but I'm British and I just didn't know the right moment! I felt like with a bit more money behind it to enable more staff and more demonstrations etc it would be excellent. The potential is definitely there.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank Holly H
Saint Louis, Missouri
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Small but entertaining”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Certainly not a Plymouth Plantation, but good for the size. It's a smaller recreation village, but for what it lacks in acres it makes up for in enthusiasm. I read the other reviews, and heard that the staff/ actors are not involved, however when I was there they were very enthusiastic and accurate. Very enjoyable and fun for a family.

Visited August 2011