Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $12.00
from $16.00
from $20.00
More Info
All reviews new england tour guide famous pirates gift shop witch stuff interesting facts great history salem's history walking tour witch trials fun information exhibits cheesy dungeon
Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

I took my three kids to Salem and we planned ahead that this would be the one museum we would go into based on feedback we had read online. Parenting sites said it wasn't too scary and my kids like pirates so I winced at the steep entrance fee, but paid it.

This is not a museum, but a bunch of mannequins dresses like pirates in a building which doesn't look like it's been cleaned in years. You have no option but to take the guided tour with a guide dressed somewhat like a pirate. He told plenty of pirate stories, though he clearly was bored with the job.

Halfway through the tour, there were some rather gory mannequin scenes which my youngest kids weren't into, so we just left and spent our time elsewhere. I wish we hadn't spent any time there at all.

Reviewed 6 days ago

I have been on the combination package tour (Witch dungeon, history, and NE pirate museum) years ago and just introduced this exciting experience to my partner. I think he really enjoyed the museums. The New England Pirate Museum is one of the museums we went on later in the evening (during October they have extended night hours) so only the two of us were on the tour. A little spooky. Yes, most of the exhibits (read: pirates) looked unreal, tacky, and tired, but our guide really knew his stuff. As stated in one of the reviews, this is not an actual museum of real artifacts just "bad pirate" mannequins. Absolutely true, but kids would enjoy it. Just consider this a one time hoot for adults plus you really do learn about the pirate community.

Reviewed 1 week ago

This could be a great museum- and it probably was at one time. It could use a thorough cleaning and a bit of an update. The guide was very good and the stories were interesting. I especially liked the live mannequin at the end. I think there's a bit of a missed opportunity here.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We did this as part of the pay for 3 attractions. While I really like the Witch Dungeon and the Museum, this was eh. Now this partly could be the tour, we could NOT hear anything the entire time so I had to read the manuscript from the postings but then couldn't keep up with the tour when I did. You might have better luck with a better tour. But since there are so many interesting things, I might pass and just do another witch tour since there isn't anything REALLY unique about the Pirate in the community.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My family and I went to the Pirate Museum this past Sunday. We expected an actual museum, with real artifacts. All we got were bad pirate mannequins and story time throughout the “museum tour”. The guide was nice and knew his pirate stories, but we expected to see actual pirate items. This might be fun for little children but it is NOT for adults. Disappointed to say the least.

1  Thank aecagno
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It was okay and had info I didn’t know about. The only down side was that the tour guide was obviously bored and really didn’t seem like he wanted to be there. If the tours are done by volunteers bless them, but this place needs updating or maintenance.

1  Thank PaTraveler834
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited Salem for the day and all the kids (2-11) said this was their favorite stop of the day! We learned a little about local pirates and had lots of fun. The kids were encouraged and felt comfortable asking questions and the guide was great in answering them. Even going over things he had already mentioned that the kids missed. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed October 7, 2018

Interesting and informative exhibit. Had about 30 in the group. Probably needs to be no more than 20. Go though a series of rooms. Basically life size dioramas. Costumed guide tells about the pirates and activity when Salem was a busy world port. Good for family. Not real scary so good for the kids. (Though there are scenes with a hanging and head cut off.) But not so lifelike they are scary. Our 9 year old grandson gave it a thumbs up. Combines with two other attractions if you buy a ticket for all three you get a discount. This one of the three was not as long a wait as some museums.

Reviewed September 29, 2018

Ok, so maybe a bit hokey, but it was fun. The guide thought himself quite the card but he did have great info.

Reviewed September 26, 2018

This little tour was immensely informative. We enjoyed it and the kids got a big kick out of it. The hung pirates kind of made our six year old cry but not for long.