“At least the outside is cool?”
Review of Salem Witch Museum

and up
Salem Witch Museum Admission
Ranked #36 of 84 things to do in Salem
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors experience the panic of the Witch Trials of 1692 through this museum's dramatic use of sets and lighting. *PLEASE NOTE* - The Museum will be closed January 1st-5th & 8th-12th for upgrades and maintenance. For the most up to date information, please visit www.salemwitchmuseum.com. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Reviewed September 18, 2013

For us, the admission fee was high for what you get ($9.50), it is pretty hokey. I mean, the outside is really cool, but you get inside and it's pretty dated. You get herded into this room with everyone and they have all these dioramas that light up as the story goes on. It kinda smelled weird, and was just odd. We did get some fun souvenirs in the gift shop. I wouldn't say pass it up. If you want to spend the admission fee, go in with LOW expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,599)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"ma"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I don't know what I was expecting here, but we got an elaborate wax museum presentation. If you enjoy wax presentations, this one was fairly impressive. The narrative bored me to tears.

The exterior of the building was impressively gothic and there was a large assortment of souvenirs in the gift shop. Some were pretty clever.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is not a museum, but a tacky tape recorded presentation and lights shining on manikins. It gives you only the basic information about the witch trials, so if you know the story, you won't be learning anything new here.

Save your money and skip this - head to the cheaper, non-tacky, totally historical, and awesome Rebecca Nurse Homestead in Danvers. This is the house that one of the accused witches lived in, and it is run by a historical society who are very knowledgeable and provide an amazing tour, with extensive information about the witch trials. http://www.rebeccanurse.org/

1  Thank kpjhughes
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The admission was reasonable for this attraction. But it is somewhat dated. Basically, it's a narrated recording of the series of events involving the Salem Witch Trials. It takes place in the main hall with you seated facing other tourists. And as the story unfolds these various dioramas are illuminated and you have to turn about to see them. Then the tour is divided in two and you are taken into the back for an exhibit of the history of witches in general. All in all it's informative and worth the admission.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I'll admit that after reading the reviews for this place, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go here at all. But man am I glad I did. I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about, this place was wonderful. We went early to get stickers for the tour, and while waiting we visited their beautiful gift shop.

The tour started with leading everyone into a theatre. We took seats on the left side in the front row corner, which in my opinion was a great choice. The tour guide gives you a brief summary of the witch trials before exiting the room to let the little presentation play. The presentation consists of different well set up still sets around the room. An audio presentation goes on while they light up each corresponding set. I thought this was very interesting. Afterwards, they take you on a tour about the real world of 'witches' and where the propaganda comes from.

Overall, I quite enjoyed the exhibit. Very well done, and it feels like you get your money's worth by the end.

1  Thank shannhugo440

Been to Salem Witch Museum? Share your experiences!