“There's just not enough Cajun cooking available in NYC.”
Review of Bayou Restaurant

Bayou Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 75 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
New York City
“There's just not enough Cajun cooking available in NYC.”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I cook creole and have eaten in and around New Orleans, I just jumped on the opportunity to eat at the Bayou. I gave it a star for the Gumbo, a star for the fact they cook Cajun food and a star for the bras hanging down from the bar.

The Gumbo was Ok, perhaps living in NYC I was in need. I think a better presentation would have been served with the rice in the middle of the plate and the gumbo carefully placed in a circle around it. But it was served in a mug (as I did order a cup) with rice on top, not bad. The Jambalaya was not great, no green and red pepper, and too much celery. Not much rice either. I am not really sure if the kitchen knew how to cook it, or perhaps the regular guy wasn't there. They kind of had an idea but I could hardly finish it. And what's with these little meatballs in the gumbo and the jambalaya? That's new. No okra nor oysters here.

The waitress was very pleasant and I really needed some Louisiana cooking. I'm sure the mudbugs boil was good, but it's hard to screw that up. It's too bad as I probably won't be stopping by when passing through Westchester county to take home any Jambalaya though. Looks like a fun place to catch some music at night. The food was just average.

• Visited October 2012

New York
“Delicious & Funb”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Wonderful cajun food in a fun environment at a reasonable price. The fried artichoke hearts with dip are amazing. Service is excellent and the atmosphere casual. Outdoor dining is available directly on Gramattan Avenue.

Visited June 2012
“Love it here!”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Service is great! fun atmosphere and GREAT food! Aligator Sausage is delish! I love the Steak salad, thier dressing is to die for! my boy friend loves to try something different everytime we visit!

Visited March 2012
Tarpon Springs, Florida
“New Orleans in Fleetwood”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Great Cajun food, more than generous portions. Bottles of every hot sauce imaginable line the chair railings along the entire restaurant. Great music.

Visited January 2012
Mount Vernon, New York
“I enjoyed the food, till I was in the hospital”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I normally cook instead of going out, but my boyfriend and I had a day to ourselves. So I was really hungry, and we were on Gramatan Ave. I suggested the Bayou because We ate there a year or two ago. I ordered the chicken fajita nachos. The service was great, the waiter was polite and courteous. I picked at my food and got it to go. Then later that afternoon and even the evening, i decided to eat more. It was good, at the time..... I woke up the next morning so sick I thought that I was going to die! After a couple of hours of being sick and not holding liquids down, i went to the ER. They hydrated me, and gave me meds, ran blood tests , gave me a catscan and all! They concluded that i had food poisoning! The only place I ate was at the bayou! So sad to say that it must of been the chicken! So now I will never eat there again!

• Visited January 2012