“Great food, fun spot”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Nice atmosphere, pleasant, efficient service, good appetizers and food. But when they say something is spicy, they mean it.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

We've been to Bayou several times since moving here, to NY. The first few were fantastic. Food comparable to the real deal in New Orleans, service great and the drinks...amazing.

However, tonight's visit, and the past couple, were AWFUL. Mostly due to the terrible service (from one waitress in particular). The meat was dried out, the rice was overcooked and tasted as if it had been sitting under a heat lamp for quite a while. It took at least 20 minutes to get our check, (since the waitress was chatting it up at the bar) and the food, for the quality is overpriced.

We are disappointed in the Bayou. It used to be great, a place we looked forward to visiting, but now, we'd rather stay home to eat grilled cheese than run the risk of waiting and waiting and waiting for overcooked food.

Reviewed November 2, 2011

The Abita on tap, the hot sauces, and the fried oysters, for a brief moment felt like I was back in LA, but the rest of the food (BBQ Po Boy, jambalaya, gumbo) not so much. Service was friendly with large food portions and I may consider trying to go back when there is live music and I am in the mood for some mud bugs. Other then that, I can wait, preferably when I can get back to LA.

Reviewed July 11, 2010

Seems like the sort of place that *should* be great, and maybe we hit them on an off day, but I was sorely disappointed. The food just did not measure up, and the ambiance was fine, but not extraordinary in any way.

To be more to the point, the jambalaya was a mess, dried out meat under a sauce that tasted like it came out of a can, barely heated over. An order of fried chicken was more palatable, but struck back with indigestion afterward.

I can only assume that we got it on a bad day, or that it is in decline, but won't be back to find out which.

Reviewed February 24, 2010

Having lived in NY for 7 years, I left in '98. The Bayou was one of my favourite restaurants way back then. I've just returned from a visit and my friends and I went back to The Bayou for "old times sake". The food is as wonderful as it used to be, as is the service & atmosphere. Can't wait to go back..

1  Thank LavallaB