“If only my vaccum could suck this much”

Holiday Inn Express St. Croix Valley
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I know, the Holiday Inn Express is not the sort of place naturally associated with Valentine's Day, but this is the closest hotel to the fiancee's favorite restaurant, so Holiday Inn Express it was.

We got the deluxe room, and upon crossing the threshold were instantly greeted with a smell that brought back fond memories. My fiancee and I met at a romantic little meat packing plant in Iowa, and this room smelled so much like the day we first met, well, lets just say romance was certainly in the air. We set down our bags, and were amazed at the creative architecture that pulled the jacuzzi tub from the bathroom where most people place them and put it square in the middle of the living room. Being a rather sedentary type, I appreciated the easy access this provided to the mini-fridge, the desk AND the bed. Walking out of the bathroom is for suckers. I only wish the toilet had been located in the main room also. As we tried to sleep, the owners of the hotel were nice enough to install a white noise machine. I think that is what it was. Is white noise what the call a heater that sputters and bangs all night, spitting out various air temperatures that always keep you guessing? I think that is what they call them. Anyway, the pillows were as luxurious as sleeping on a hard-sided suitcase, and the quilt was so thoroughly stained, the patterns that were made by the variety pack of the bodily fluids of previous guests had up playing guess that shape all night. I only wish we had children, as apparently the proprietors walk a number of massive circus animals up and down the hallway outside each of the rooms for quite a long time every morning. We never got to see the animals, but simply heard the impressive amount of noise that accompanied them on their extended journey. After a quick stop at the continental breakfast, we were instantly impressed with the apparent cross-promotion they were running with the local dentist. When even the donuts can crack teeth, you know you have struck marketing gold. And don't get me started on the quality of the coffee. It was A+ in a reverse grading system where F grade coffee is considered to be the best.

We even got to interact with the hotel after leaving. My fiancee forgot her hair dryer in the room, and we were told that the hotel would be more than willing to mail it to us. After agreeing to put the shipping cost on the card we had used to reserve the room, they offered to take an additional $5 for their troubles. That saved me that always thorny issue of having to figure out how much of a tip to provide for a service that other hotels offer as a simple courtesy.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChuckBukowski
SCFWIManager, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Croix Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2009

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for your less than satisfactory stay with us. Your honest feedback is the first towards improvement of our services. I have already forwarded your comments on to our maintenance staff so we can investigate the smell and heating unit that may have been the source of the "white noise" you experienced throughout the night. We also performed some additional training for our breakfast bar attendants to ensure we are always removing any food that looks or tastes less than fresh. Please feel free to contact me so we can further discuss your stay with us. Once again I thank you for your honest feedback and hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express hotels are your lodging of choice.

Reviewed February 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on business a total of six nights in January. Upon checking in for our second stay, we were offered a free upgrade. We found the hotel to be very well maintained and the guest rooms are CLEAN!! The staff was very courteous and helpful. During our stay we did not use the pool, however we did use the fitness center daily. Although the space is a bit tight, we found the room to be well equipped. It is definitely the nicest hotel in the area!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lakeside90

Thank you for staying at the St. Croix Valley Holiday Inn Express. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 27, 2008

Wife and I stayed there for a wedding in the area. It was nice. We checked in early and had time to swim in the pool which was clean. We had a nice breakfast. We didn't have any problems and it was close to the wedding.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 47203Traveller
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I was scheduled to stay at this hotel, but was unable to use my reservation due to the flooding in the midwest (the road to the airport was washed out). Despite initially telling me that they could refund my online reservation and would get back to me right away, they never replied. When I followed up, they were abominably rude on the phone, telling me that "things happen" and I shouldn't have booked that rate if I saw any chance of having to cancel (such as unprecedented floods, apparently). I was most disappointed by their rudeness and their callousness in response to an unforeseen disaster.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank Flooded
Reviewed October 12, 2007

Great place, always nice when I stay here. The Embers across the lot is pretty good as well.

Also, there is a good steak house down the road.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank ClickTheGeek
Reviewed July 28, 2006

Stayed there a week while trying to find a place to live in the area July 20-26, 2006 or so. At first, they had no rooms other than smoking to give me, but then, they actually did call me to tell me they had a room available that I had requested, which means they actually listened to the request and followed through successfully. My week there was very, very nice. All the hotel staff - and I mean, ALL, were very kind, gracious, courteous -- they exemplified what living in the area most probably would be like. The housekeeping staff, the maintenace man, the desk staff, all smiled and said hello. They did their absolute best to accommodate me, and I would go back in a heart beat. The room was clean and tidy. The hotel was quiet and safe. Little plumbing slowness, but I am sure that will be corrected as soon as they are aware thereof. This is a chain in the middle of a very, very small town, and it just looks a little out of place in the area ... too bad Holiday Inn Express could not better align its building and grounds for the area within which it sits.

My new word is "yup." : )

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Mozy417
Reviewed June 20, 2005

My husband and I stopped here after leaving a very bad hotel we had reservations for and found The Holiday Inn Express. Beautiful room, the manager checked us in. When I said it was our anniversary, he upgraded our room even for no charge! Very nice fitness center and good breakfast area, didn't use pool but looked nice. I would definitely stay here again. Taylor Falls, St. Croix area is great for relaxing and we took a scenic boat ride.

Stayed: June 2005
AmericInn Hotel & Suites New Richmond
River Valley Inn & Suites
20 mi away
AmericInn Lodge & Suites North Branch

Been to Holiday Inn Express St. Croix Valley? Share your experiences!