“Winery did not meet our expectations”

Chateau St. Croix Winery
More attraction details
Owner description: A true appreciation for wine can be uncovered in the lush wine valleys of Europe, where history and tradition are as rich as the wine itself. I am proud to introduce you to Chateau St. Croix, a winery created in the image of a European estate, complete with vineyard, carriage house, formal garden and art gallery. Modeled after a French Chateau once owned by a Black Musketeer, Chateau St. Croix Winery is located in the heart of the picturesque St. Croix River Valley. Our mission is to source the highest quality local and California grapes, so that we can craft award winning wines for your pleasure. Experience a touch of Europe only a short drive from home! Sincerely, Matthew Scott General Manager
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had a CrowdCut coupon for this winery and planned a weekend around it. We chose to use it when they were having their fall festival, which might have been the biggest mistake we made. I need to clarify that we have been to other wineries and have always had a delightful time. I called a month ahead of time to schedule a tour of the winery on the day of the festival. It was not made clear to us that this was not part of the deal. The deal was supposed to be worth $46., and we paid $23. When we arrived, there were hundreds of people, which made navigation difficult. Signage for 1st timers would have helped. We finally found the check-in area, and were told that the tour was actually $6. per person. We opted out. We were then given 5 tokens for samples each, and a ticket for our cheese/chocolates. We had assumed we would get an ample sample for the price.. but it was 2 truffles, and 4 small samples of cheeses, along with about 10 crackers. We stood in long lines for everything... most of them were not marked well, and we found ourselves in the wrong lines twice. What really made us upset was the way people kept cutting in line in front of us... even right in the front! The workers did nothing, even though one time I had been ordering my wine sample and had my chip in the air to give him! I guess I wasn't dressed as well as the couple who cut in front of us... as he certainly helped them right away... knowing I had been next in line. I assume this winery caters to the well-to-do, even though although we had been dressed casually that day, we certainly had the money to purchase wine!!! The samples we did receive were extremely small. Certainly NOT worth the $46. they said they were... and with no tour! We will not be back. We usually always pick our favorite wines and get a bottle each to take home. We did not like the wines here well enough to want to waste our money on them! They also did not let us sample the port or a couple of the other wines we wanted to. We left feeling like we were ripped off.... and angry at the way we were treated. We do not recommend this winery. There are SO many others in MN that have great wines and wonderful ambiance. Try anywhere else.

2  Thank TammyW315

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Go to the Chateau for New Year's Eve when they have Duck for the Oysters play. The food is delicious, the wine is fine. In autumn there is another type of gathering with vendors, music, different wine and beers.Fun!

1  Thank WisconsinLa1234
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had purchased the "couple's wine tasting" for $23.(1/2 price) thru Groupon. It was worth $23 but NOT WORTH the regular price of $46!! The wines were good but quite pricey. We were there on a Saturday and it was VERY busy. The setting is lovey and you feel like you are someplace other than Wisconsin!

1  Thank joycemoynihan
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It is gorgeous from the outside, and pretty lovely on the inside as well. The owners do a very nice job with the wine and cheese. We enjoyed both, but felt they were overpriced for flavors and varieties that were nothing out of the ordinary. It was disappointing to learn more that the couple who opened the place in 2004 were simply rich people who had more money than they knew what to do with, so they embarked on making wine. Had I done my research, I would not have visited this chateau; I prefer to support underdogs.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Loved this place - a sampler of outstanding cheeses with your glass of wine. What fun!