“Food was Good Enough but Decor Depressing”
Review of Lani's Luau - CLOSED

Lani's Luau
Tucson
“Food was Good Enough but Decor Depressing”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Food was okay but nothing really special. Owners are super nice and we really wanted to like the food and service for that reason. You can feel the love they have for this place but it's just not enough. Would love to see HGTV get a hold of this place, Restaurants Impossible could do wonders to help them succeed. Decor is a mismatch of outdoor plastic mismatched furniture and the Hawaiian theme is amiss here. Very odd - shirts hanging up across a window looks like a laundry clothes line.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank TucsonDaug

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oh so "ONO" Hawaiian word for delicious”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Been going here since mid 2012. We try to go at least once a week, sometimes with family and/or with friends, all love the food and the hospitality from the owners.
Best place for plate lunches like in Hawaii here in Tucson. Has everything you find at a plate lunch eatery and at luau (including poi). Prices are very reasonable - specials starting at $5.00.
I feel full and satisfied that I've eaten healthier than going to McDonald's. The owners are absolutely wonderful, a smile an a "Aloha" when you walk in the door and a "Mahalo" when you walk out. Yes, I know everyone has there own opinion but, don't judge a book by its cover, go and try it for yourself. If you ever been to Hawaii, plate lunch eateries are very simple, simple foods with lots of "Aloha".

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Purpleheidicat
Tucson, Arizona
“Not Impressed by Food”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We decided to order take out from here to try something different as we had heard rave reviews, so we got about 5 different plates to share. It was not awful, but certainly far from impressive. The food was greasy, the flavors were boring, the cuts of meat and fish were cheap and the portions were unimpressive in size. Now granted this was take out, but we certainly won't be going back. I was hoping for something with a lot of flavor and fresh zing, but this didn't have it.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank junesflame
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best Hawaiian food in Tucson”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The food is very good. I've eaten numerous selections from the menu and have really liked everything. The prices are the most reasonable in Tucson. The amount of food they give you was more than plenty. The atmosphere was like being in a local place in Hawaii. The owners are wonderful people. They always make you feel welcome. I've been going there for several years. I try to go at least once a week. Sometimes, I even go twice. Everyone I have taken there loves it!! Friends and family from out of town always want to go there when they come to Tucson. Don't judge a book by the cover. What's inside is wonderful. Once you go there, you'll want to go back again and again. ONO-licious!!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank DenisTucson
Arizona
“Great place!”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I've been here several times in the last few months and really enjoy it. I can't comment on most of the main dishes because there isn't too much vegetarian, but my partner really enjoys the food. I always get malasadas and the potato mac is REALLY good! They also have the Hawaiian juices that are really hard to find elsewhere. This place is worth checking out!

Visited August 2011