“Best Airport Hotel Ever!”

Hyatt Place Tucson Airport
Ranked #39 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Washington DC
“Best Airport Hotel Ever!”
Reviewed December 11, 2007

I never expect much from an airport hotel other than convenience and basic comfort. The Hyatt Place at the Tucson Airport signficantly exceeded my expectations. The room was so nice that I would stay in a hotel like this on a pleasure trip.

The room itself was enormous, with a sitting area separated from the sleeping area by a divider. There was also a small kitchenette, which was unexpected (and which I actually didn't use). The decor of the room was absolutely spectacular: it was sleek and modern, and quirky enough to be interesting. I loved the sectional sofa in the living area, which was extremely comfortable and large enough for someone to sleep on if necessary. There was a huge flat-screen TV placed between the living and sleeping areas that could be tilted for viewing in either area. The beds were extremely comfortable (rivaling Westin's famous "heavenly bed"), and the linens were crisp and clean.

There were downsides, but not enough to detract from the overall experience. The bathroom, including the tub, were adequate but small. The hotel was particularly lacking in common areas: the lobby was tiny, and although there was a "bar" off to one side, it was really no more than a counter at the reception area--not particularly inviting. However, the hotels on either side of the Hyatt Place (both within walking distance) had large bars, so we didn't really feel the need to have one in the lobby. The staff were extremely polite and helpful.

I haven't stayed at other airport hotels in Tucson, but it's difficult to imagine finding a better room at a better price than at the Hyatt Place. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Enormous room with separate living area, decor
  • Disliked — Lobby/common areas
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank wbpld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2007

Mr Flippitti and I stayed here one night because we had a very early morning flight to catch the next day and didn't want to be driving at 3AM. This hotel (formerly Amerisuites) is convenient to the Tucson Airport. This was our first stay at a Hyatt Place.

The desk clerk was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. She explained about the renovations being made in the lobby area, told us where to find breakfast and gave us a brief tour describing how the lobby will look once remodeling is done. She also gave us a long list of nearby restaurants and her personal recommendations. We were very impressed with her.

Our 4th floor room was right next to the elevator but we didn't hear any noise from people coming and going. The only noise we heard was the VERY LOUD air conditioning unit in the room! Even set on low, it was way TOO LOUD. We tried turning it off but the windows don't open and frankly, it's August in Tucson! You need airconditioning.

We had a horrible night's sleep. The bed was probably quite comfortable but the A/C noise drowned out anything good about this hotel.

This Hyatt Place also had one of the smallest bathrooms I've ever seen outside of European bathrooms but again, that's minor compared to the A/C noise.

Yes, there's a really huge flat panel TV. The room was designed in the modern style and the sectional sofa (it's also a pullout bed) gave us lots of room to lounge around. And yes, the room was spacious and nicely done. But on the night that we needed a good night's sleep - we had a long day of traveling ahead of us the next day - the A/C ruined it for us.

We mentioned the A/C noise to the desk clerk and she said most people like it because it drowns out the other noises outside the hotel! If their A/C can drown out jet noise, then it's way too loud.

Hyatt is spending lots of money to remodel this hotel. They could throw in a few more $$ to change out their air conditioning system. We won't be staying here again and we don't recommend it.

• Liked — Location is spitting distance to TUS
  • Disliked — A/C unit is loud enough to drown out jet noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MollyMick
Carefree, Arizona
Reviewed April 24, 2007

We stayed in the new Hyatt Place in Mid April and must say we were thrilled with our room. It was well decorated (I know, I'm a designer), new, clean and the bed was heavenly...my husband and I both had a wonderful nights sleep. Yes, the lobby was still being remodeled, but who cares, we weren't staying in the lobby!

We chose this hotel because we wanted to visit friends in the area and didn't plan on using our accommodations for the pool or as a resort. We just wanted a great room, convenient location for touring, and a good nights sleep. We got all three with this hotel.

We didn't experience any airport noise, which we expected considering we were so close to the airport...this was an added bonus.

We were also concerned about the car break-ins reported in a previous review, however, we experienced no problems. Trust me, parking a $80,000 Mercedes and not knowing if it will be stolen or damaged was a concern.

Did I mention the large flat panel LCD TV? Big bonus....my husband loved it!

Even the low end Hyatt did it right, these guys know how to do it right! We would definately stay again.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cowenevett
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 5, 2007

Currently this hotel is undergoing major renovations. The entire lobby, breakfast area, and business center are in the midst of a major makeover. The hotel has been bought out by the Hyatt.
The rooms are clean and comfortable. The beds were some of the best beds we've ever slept in...very comfortable. Hotel also offers a very convenient 24 hour shuttle to the Tucson Airport. The staff was friendly and accomodating. If it weren't for the construction this place would be awesome!

• Liked — Convenience to the airport.
  • Disliked — All of the construction.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cinder1997
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Reviewed January 26, 2007

Stayed here for 3 nights on business. We have a corporate rate since our office is in Tucson, so I was able to get a $99 rate for Monday-Wednesday.

Checked in and was put into room 220. Everything seemed ok, but noticed the toilet was running. Upon inspection, there was hot water in the toilet tank. They just finished remodeling all the rooms to convert to Hyatt Place, but some of the plumbing appears to be a little crossed. Called the front desk and they quickly reassigned me to Room 208 down the hall. Manager brought up the new key, no problems.

Rooms are very nice. Same basic AmeriSuites layout with the Hyatt Place upgrade. Very comfortable beds with down comforters. New granite counters, shower was very nice. Shower curtain has the curved shower curtain rod to give more room. New couch, leather ottoman, refrigerator and safe in the room. Also a nice desk and free high speed wireless internet. Highlight is the 42 HD plasma TV. Swivels so you can watch it from the bed or the couch area. HBO free plus a variety of other HD and regular channels.

I did notice that the bathroom faucet in Rm 208 was loose, although it worked fine. Also noticed a small leak from the toilet in the bathroom. I'm guessing the plumbing contractor wasn't the highest quality, so make sure you check out the plumbing when you check in right away.

Breakfast is ok, mostly carbs. Not a lot of fruit, but they do have make your own waffles (cups of batter you put into a waffle iron), sausage patties and pre-made cheese omelettes, bagels, cereal, muffins, etc. Breakfast can get busy, so get there early.

Exercise room looked good, didn't have time to stop in.

I didn't have any problems with security while I was there, although I had a rental car with no valuables in it.

I'm guessing the rates will go up when they officially rename the property to Hyatt Place, but it's a great deal at $99. Lightyears better than the old AmeriSuites.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank Chocochef
Glendale, AZ
Reviewed January 13, 2007

The hotel and room was nice, everything else sucked!!

When we arrived at the hotel we thought how nice it looked and were impressed by how nic ethe room was. Very nice TV, and very nice beds.

We only stayed 1 night, but that was enough. When we woke for the complimentary breakfast the next morning I went downstairs to eat promptly at 7:00 am when brakfast was served. The had pre-made omlets but there were cold. The also had sausage patties but they were cold. The rest of the breakfast items were ok. (bagels, muffins, cereal)

Then as we went to depart, we walked out to our 2001 Dodge Durango only ro find that our car door locks were busted to pieces!! I immediately walked back into the hotel to tell the desk clerk and her reply was (oh this happens all the time around here) I said Oh my god!! And you could have not told me this when I went to check in? She said there are signs posted saying that they were not responsible for anything stolen off of their property. I immediately asked for the Manager and after a few minutes he came out. I told him what had happened and he said he apologizes, but they do have signs posted. We walked outside so that he could see our truck.

He said he drove around when he came in this morning to look for glass from broken car windows. I could not beleive my ears! So I guess this is the norm for this hotel for this kind of thing to happen. I told him this is supposed to be a Hyatt hotel and you can't afford cameras or security with a problem like this! So the good deal we thought we were getting turned out to cost us $1000.00 for a 1 night stay!!!

So please whatever you do, I would definately try and avoid this hotel!!

Gary Washburn
Glendale, AZ

• Liked — The rooms were nice.
  • Disliked — The amount of theft there and nothing being done about it!
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont stay here until they get securty if you want to keep your stuff!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank ThePayrollGuy
Las Vegas, Nevada - USA
Reviewed November 10, 2006

The minute we arrived at the AmeriSuites in Tucson, we felt welcome and comfortable. Outstanding service, fabulous amenities, and a quiet location make this an enjoyable place to stay! The hotel appears newer than the others around it. Upon entering, front desk staff made us feel welcome. There was hot coffee and tea available the evening we arrived, along with cold tea, cookies, and fresh oranges and apples. There was hard candy at the front desk, and a variety of complimentary newspapers available, including USA Today. When checking in, guests are advised that if smoking occurs in a non-smoking room, there will be a cleaning $200 fee. I think this directive is fantastic for people like my family and I who become ill when exposed to smoke!

Staff advised that there is a complimentary shuttle that will take guests to and from the hotel within a five mile range. In addition, there are restaurants within that five mile radius that include: Olive Garden, Burger King, Chili’s, Denny’s, Cattletown Steakhouse, Chopstix, etc., as well as restaurants located within nearby hotels.

AmeriSuites had a sign posted that said they were in the process of changing the hotel to a “Hyatt Place” Hotel. We happened to be assigned Room #123 – I appreciated this, as I requested a room on a lower floor due to my aged parent. Our hotel was located next to the small conference rooms. No problem with noise or traffic. Our room had just been remodeled earlier in the week. It was absolutely beautiful, modern, clean, and comfortable.

There is a sectional sofa bed with leather covered ottoman. The area was well lit. My husband and I slept on the sofa bed and found that it was OK – a sofabed is a sofabed, whether it is brand new or not. The hotel also has a granite covered wet bar with a coffee maker and small refrigerator. The area above the sink has its own light. Under the sink, there is a key controlled safet deposit box. At the small writing desk, there is a nice sized lamp and a cordless telephone. I was able to access the free wireless Internet easily with my computer from within my room and throughout the hotel. Initially, I could not access the Internet, and front desk staff allowed me to speak with the Hyatt IT Help Desk so I could resolve the problem (the problem was with my computer and not the hotel).

The highlight of our room is a well placed 42” plasma TV. The room is very large with the sectional sofa on one side and a five feet wide ceiling to floor wall with three small shoji screens that divide the beds from the sofa area. Our room had two double beds with modern headboards, lighting, bed coverings, and throw pillows. There is a corded telephone between both beds. Under the plasma TV is a very nice, modern, stainless steel with plastic lid ice bucket with four glasses. There is a comment card with stationary and local visitor information.

The closet is roomy with an iron and ironing board. The sink is located next to the closet. Next to the sink is additional counter space and three drawers, which is nice for toiletries and personal items. There is a 1875 watt hair dryer and a Bible in the drawers. Lighting over the sink is well placed. Separated by door is the commode and shower/tub with shower curtain extender so the curtain does not stick to you when showering. Our view from the room was of the adjacent hotel.

The Fitness Center is open 24 hours and is key operated. There is a TV in the fitness room, along with two treadmills, one elliptical machine, and one stationary bike – all Life Fitness brands. In addition, there is an ab station, a workout bench, and an incline workout bench with free weights. The swimming pool is on the south end of the complex. There are ample chaise lounges, and the pool is heated only by the Arizona sun. Access to the pool area is by room key, as are the side doors to the hotel. Pets are no longer accepted.

The Bountiful Breakfast Buffet is served from Monday – Friday, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Items served include egg and cheese omletes, sausage, bagels, English muffins, toast, an assortment of muffins, dry cereal, hard boiled eggs, a make-your-own waffles area, cottage cheese, fruit, juice, and milk.

The hotel is very close to the Tucson International Airport. However, we did not hear any airplane noise.

The highlight of the hotel is the fact that staff is so friendly and helpful. Staff really care and are professional and knowledgeable. They bend over backwards to be kind and welcoming, and call you by your last name. The amenities are just fantastic and very much worth the price (good value).

This is my first time in Tucson. I would have to say that a person would need to have a rental car if you plan to venture past the five mile zone of the hotel and not relying on the shuttle. There are few restaurants within walking distance. It took us approximately 20 minutes on surface streets to travel to an area off of Speedway Boulevard and Swan. Also, in some areas, the City of Tucson there are no streetlights, so it can get dark at times (there are streetlights on Tucson Boulevard, the street in which the hotel is on). This is just a side note and has nothing to do with the hotel.

The hotel itself is absolutely fantastic! The amenities are terrific, and a great value for the price. I highly recommend this hotel!!

• Liked — Very clean, modern decor; outstanding staff
  • Disliked — Location is close to airport but 20 minute distance to town
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't forget to get AAA, Senior, or government discount