“Loved this resort and didn't want to leave!”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #19 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Loved this resort and didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

My daughter and I just returned home from a business trip (for me) vacation (for her) at Westin LaPaloma, and we're still wishing we were there.

We had beautiful, sunny (but cool) weather throughout our stay. While I attended meetings, my daughter had an awesome experience playing golf with the desert terrain and Catalina Mountains as a backdrop. The golf staff was above and beyond with special thanks to Josh Brown. She'll remember playing golf at LaPaloma forever. We had a wonderful dinner at The Grill at the country club facilities. She also enjoyed the beautiful pool area with hot tubs and heated pools. The tennis staff was also great though she did not have time to play. We also learned that there was a ski resort close by at Mt Lemmon (9,000 ft. elevation), that she would have gone off to if our stay was longer.

Though my stay was for business purposes, I had a very enjoyable time as well. The hotel staff scored top marks for customer service and making sure that meeting attendees were well taken care of. I am the meeting coordinator for my department, which is within a large, global corporation. I received numerous positive comments on the excellent staff as well as remarks that the food was the best we've had at any of our regional and national meetings. The meeting space ranks at the top with well appointed meeting rooms that included spectacular views and patios. The meeting and hotel staff were all very attentive and welcoming with many thanks to Rob, Jeniffer, and my favorite of all, Peter.

I do have to agree with other reviews regarding the hotel rooms. I would rate the rooms a 3-star only (with the remainder of resort and amenities a definite 4-star). I don't know the date set to start renovation, but understand updating the rooms are in the works. Also, the hi-fi charge may need to be reconsidered as it is on the very high side. Some of the landscaping around the rooms could use some sprucing up as well. (planter boxes)

I would definitely recommend the Westin LaPaloma for business meetings and vacations, and hope to return some day.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MIsurvivorx5
billp82, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
Thank you for posting how you and your daughter both enjoyed La Paloma. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the associates that made this stay with us special for both of you. We look forward to having you back with your daughter so both of you may relax and play.
William Petrella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2011

The grounds are spacious, which means a bit of walking to the lobby, the pools, the health club and the parking lot. We were upgraded to an SPG floor with a view of low lying hills, highway, scrub brush and cacti. The rooms are looking old, with worn furnishings, floorings and walls - no flat screen TVs. The health club is not particularly spacious but it was fine as no one else was around. The pool areas again are dated. Valet parking is $15 per night, self-parking is free. Internet was $15 per day. There are a selection of complimentary papers including NYT available in the Azul restaurant. Near to the resort are a small mall (La Encantada) but not much else. You definitely need to do some driving to reach interesting restaurants. It's fine if you're here for a specific reason... conference, golfing... but it's not worth the detour otherwise.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting about your stay at La Paloma. We do have a quiet setting as we are nestled in the foothills of the Catalina Mountain Range. We hope you will have a chance to return and enjoy our Jack Nicklaus Signature 27 hole golf course or a massage at The Red Door Spa. We look forward to seeing you.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 5, 2011

My fiancee and I decided to stay at the Westin La Paloma to bring in the new year together. I have stayed at this resort before, but the reason I decided to write a review was because of a special accommodation I received during my stay. When I called to have the room reserved I spoke to a young woman named Lindsay. She was extremely helpful in taking care of my reservation request. I had mentioned on a side note that we were engaged soon to be married. At the time I didn't think much of this. Upon arrival to the resort I chose to park myself and not use the valet service. The lobby is massive and was very ornately decorated for the holiday season. We had no issues at check in. The staff at the front desk were polite and courteous. It took less than fifteen minutes to check in. Most of that time was spent standing in line waiting for the old couple in front of us to finish asking the front desk clerk 1,000 questions. We arrived at our room, which had an amazing view by the way, the room was clean, and very orderly. The bed was absolutely awesome! After about ten minutes of unpacking, there was a knock at the door, when I opened the door there was a server holding a tray with a bucket of champagne on ice on it along with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. I thanked the server and took the tray. Also, on the tray was a card addressed to my fiancee and I. I opened the card and read the note. Lindsay had taken it upon herself to send us a complimentary bottle of champagne and strawberries! The card was hand written by Lindsay congratulating us on our engagement and soon to be marriage and wishing us a Happy New Year. I was shocked! My fiancee loved it and we both were impressed by Lindsay's professionalism and attention to detail. I have never had this happen before, hence my review. Most of time when I speak with a person in reservation's they are usually unemotional and sound almost robotic. Thank you Lindsay for making our stay that much more memorable. We did not eat at the restaurants in the resort. We had dinner that night with friends at a local Italian restaurant located nearby named Trattoria Pina which was delicious. We slept in late the next day after getting a great night's sleep in the heavenly bed. We decided to skip breakfast mainly because it was almost 1130 once we left our room. We decided to grab lunch again with friends at a local brewhouse called Nimbus to watch football. Check out was quick and efficient. We will definitely be staying at the Westin again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
billp82, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Thank you for posting how Lindsay made your New Year’s Eve so very special at La Paloma. Personal service and attention to detail is what we are all about. We’re delighted that we were able to provide a wonderful memory as you start out on your future together. Congratulations! We hope you will join us again before the next New Year to enjoy our resort with all we have to offer.
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Daniel Figureoa was absolutely fantastic. My mother told him we were celebrating my wedding and graduation from graduate school. He surprised us with a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. It was incredibly thoughtful and made my weekend that much more special Thank you Daniel.

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed January 4, 2011

My wife and I celebrated our 15th anniversary New Year's Eve at the Westin La Paloma. It was an amazing stay despite the cold and snow flurries, which we had just fled. The staff made our occasion extra special.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting how you had a great 15th Anniversary with us. You’ll need to return soon when the weather is a little warmer to enjoy the pool and a round of golf.
Chicago
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My wife and teenaged daughter spent our Christmas in Tucson and enjoyed a very mellow stay at La Paloma. I have to echo what others have said here--the service we experienced, from the front desk to housekeeping to the restaurants--was excellent. Everyone was extremely friendly (even when they were working on Xmas Eve/Day) and accommodating. This was a great and much appreciated surprise.

I agree also with what others have said about the rooms; while the "suite" we had was huge and very comfortable for sleeping, the appointments (decor, furniture, TVs, bathrooms) definitely are overdue for updating. And really, $13.00 a day for Wi-Fi? That was a disappointment.

But the biggest thing I noticed--and I can't believe I'm saying this--is that I wished there were more people around. This time of year is evidently not the most popular for Arizona resorts (although the weather was sunny and very pleasant and the pools were nicely heated), and the place seems like it would have been more enjoyable with a little more bustle. Hopefully we'll get a chance to experience La Paloma in 'high season' sometime.

Thank you and best wishes to the staff at La Paloma--keep up the great work.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My first review here and I will be straight up of the Westin Paloma. When you drive up the road towards the hotel it a beautiful situated hotel. Back drops off the mountains and surrounding golf course is truly spectacular. Doormen and valet very polite and helpful.

Walk into the lobby and again very nicely done, beautiful entrance with nice ambiance. People at the front desk are very nice and helpful.

Here comes the straight up part, the rooms are hardly a 4 star type room. There is a certain odor in the room once you step in. Very noticeable, the porter said the carpets may not have dried properly. Kind of a musky smell. The front desk gave us options of different rooms but they all had the same odor. We decided to stay in the original rooms because of my in-laws that were older and it was close to the lobby. The room looks like it has not been updated for more then 10 years. The porter did say because of economic times the rooms are the last to be updated while the main lobby received most of the upgrades. We were in building 2.

Overall service and people are friendly and attentive. Fitness club workers are great also But please update the rooms soon. Also $13.00 for WiFi if you want it. On top of $15/ day for resort fees.

2 Thank bellevuejohn
Thank you for posting about your stay at La Paloma. I am delighted to see you noticed the areas where we have most recently updated our resort. This is a constant process and we will consistently be improving our guest rooms along with other areas of La Paloma. We hope you will return soon and see us as we renew and rejuvenate our resort.