“Should have stayed in Phoenix”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #20 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 9, 2006

The room was average but my "upgrade" included ants. My lovely view of the pool was the tennis courts and people grunting at 6am. We were looking for special, next time we'll stay at the Phoenician in Phoenix. A bit more $$ but worth it. The place was clean but nothing special. The food was expensive and the only coffee bar closed for good the day I arrived. Overall, much over rated.

Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank roadtripper28
Write a ReviewReviews (2,869)

A TripAdvisor Member
scottsdale,az
Reviewed June 22, 2006

just returned from a weekend of golf and relaxation at this venerable resort. used to live in tuscon and always thought of this as a first class resort.

well upon arrival shuffled off to a golf course, mountain view room, in the afternoon where the a/c didn't work. called and requested a repair, after one hour gave up and asked for a room change. as expected no comparable room available so had to accept secondary room on ground level which was without mountain views. also the room was old and tired and needed paint, cauking etc, etc, and smelled of cigars. drapes were old fashioned and filty and needed replacing not just cleaning. ceramic floors in hallway and bathroom full of dirty marks that could have been eradicated with cleanser and elbow grease.

ate two meals, breakfast and lunch on first day and both the service and quality not up to the standards or the price. with 10 people in rest. at lunch, took over one hour for two salads. from sit down to payment of check, which i finally took to front desk to pay. at breakfast we were the only fools there at 7am and took over 45 minutes to complete and the meal was cold as well as the tea and coffee.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 10, 2006

When we arrived at the La Paloma, everything felt first class, From the Check-IN, to the Valet, to the Club Car Driver that whisked us along with our luggage of to our rooms. The staff seemed very mature and professional - until we went to the Pool.

One thing to note is we were immediately hit with two fees. A mandatory $12 fee that they said was for use of the amenities and an $11 overnight valet parking fee (our choice).

The room was nice. It had 2 of the Westin branded Heavenly beds which were comfortable although I wish they had been queens and not doubles. The bathroom was really nice. Seperate tub and shower made it seem classier. Only complaint about the room was this Huge Red Stain in the carpet. Honestly, How hard would that be to cut out?

From the map, I could tell that we were the farthest building away from the pools which was quite a hike. Wasn't really a problem as we hadn't planned on going back and forth all day anyway.

The pool area was nice looking. We were there on a Friday. I was really glad we were not there on Saturday as I'm sure a chair would be hard to come by. Most the chairs had wet towels on them so you couldn't tell if they were in use or not. My kids really loved the water slide. The staff at the waterslide didn't do an adequate job watching out for the kids safety. They only had one attendant at the bottom of the slide. Other hotels, we've stayed at have one at the top to keep the kids spread out. My 6 year old got mowed over several times by kids who's parents werent around. Most kids at the pool I would say are not attended with parents so this is extremely important. Pool could have used some upkeep - missing tiles etc...Drinks at the pool ran about $7.50. Gratuity is automatically added to everything you order at 15%.

I got the feeling that there might me two different management systems. One for the Hotel and one for the pool. The attendants around the pool and the bartendars were very young and the level of service was low. The attention to detail around the pool area was very poor, totally opposite to the hotel. Maybe the pool area is where workers start and the good ones are promoted to the other parts of the hotel?

You get the feeling around the pool area that a lot of the people are not guests of the hotel.
There are signs up that the pool is shared with a country club. They do required you to check-in at the pool area to get a towel, in which they promptly put a wristband on you. I didn't see any enforcement of this however, as there were people I saw with no wristbands and were using private towels.

Eating choices at the property were minimal. We ate at the only restaurant inside the hotel. On a Friday night it was deserted. Our Bill came to $120 for 2 adults and 2 kids for what I would call mediocre food.

I'm not a golfer so I can't speak to one of the major reasons for staying at the resort.

Overall, it was OK. I would rather try other hotels in Tucson to see what they had to offer before coming back. I would stay again during the week, definitely not on the weekends. I would be prepared to eat my meals off property.

• Stayed: June 2006
13  Thank dtigweld
Reviewed May 25, 2006

We arrived at the Westin LaPaloma for a convention and had a wonderful experience. I work for a major resort in Florida and have to say that the accommodations at the Westin were at the top. There was plenty staff to welcome the 600+ guests and we were treated so kindly. Everyone was so friendly and very helpful. The rooms are spacious and the bed is truly "heavenly". The bed was one of the most comfortable beds that I have slept in at a resort. Being in the desert and very hot, the pools were always refreshing and clean. We had some of the most breath taking views of the mountains. My husband loved being on a golf course and commented that it was one of the most beautiful courses that he had played on, even better then Hawaii. I have to say that for a convention, the food was fabulous. Nice selections and very tasty. Whether you go for a convention or vacation you will truly have a wonderful experience and be refreshed.

9  Thank CarolT54
Reviewed May 7, 2006

We stayed for one weekend. The property is nice, but the layout leaves something to be desired. There are few options for sitting outside, having a drink, and enjoying the scenery, you either sit in the pool area or sit inside, there are few other options. The lounge area inside is cold and ostentatious, but the view of the mountain is nice. The only inviting lounge/bar is located within a short walking distance; the J bar. Don't believe this bar is directly associated with the hotel. The rooms are adequate with nice views. While we were there a conference and fund raiser were being held. The parking lot was nearly full. Unless you opt for valet parking, you might have some trouble finding a parking spot. Gereral impression - this hotel needs to pay more attention to its paying guests.

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank Daniel N
Reviewed May 4, 2006

It was probably beautiful years ago, but the property is deteriorating. When I walked into my room, the first thing that I saw was a bug crawling on my pillow. My room smelled like mildew, there were ants at the pool, the hot tub was warm (not hot), and in poor condition.

• Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank wordCO
Reviewed May 1, 2006

We took the family to Las Paloma for the fireworks, dinner, and a night's stay. It was so crowded that we were bumping into each other and couldn't find a place to sit. The stairs to the slides were green and brown with some sort of fungi. The breakfast was dry and took too long. One huge word of advice, don't go on 4th of July.

• Stayed: July 2005