“Great views & great rooms”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #19 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Room was very clean and there were many things to do on site. The gym was awesome lot of space and there were multiple pools. I loved the view from the room.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
debtucson, Assistant to the General Manager, William Petrella at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2009

I would like to thank you for posting how you enjoyed the many amenities both natural, the Catalina Mountains and the hotel's, with the pools, 27 hole Jack Nicklaus golf course, workout room and much more.

We look forward to welcoming you back to La Paloma.

Regards,

Reviewed August 17, 2009

I was booked for a four night stay at the Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa for my 20th reunion (July 29-August 2, 2009). I know the hotel well as a meeting planner, but have never stayed on property as an event attendee. As mentioned in my other reviews, I believe in highlighting the positive and the items that need improvement in my reviews.

My experience as a guest was overall very positive. In general the staff was friendly and accommodating. My sleeping room was a nice size but a bit outdated. The rooms are however clean and have all the amenities expected at a Westin. The bathrooms are a decent size with a bathtub, two sinks, and a separate shower. Liked the little decorative frosted window in the bath allowing some daylight to trickle in. My room had a nice sized balcony (which was too hot to use in Tucson in July). The room was located on the third floor facing the pool. The view wasn’t all that great, and the noise from the pool was a bit much at times. With the window closed however I could barely hear a peep. I understand my room was one of the few who had received the new LCD-TVs.

Checking out was a bit of a hassle. I needed to check out at 1am and since the night had not yet been posted to the account, the front desk was not able to check me out on the phone. The person answering the phone acted annoyed I was checking out at this unconventional time and told me to “just leave the keys in the room, and would not be able to give me a receipt, or give me a total due”. I shared that was OK, and would just leave the keys and leave. It took a friendly bellman only about 5 minutes to show up and transport my luggage to my car.

Overall my stay at La Paloma was positive and I would stay there again if the opportunity arose.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
debtucson, Assistant to the General Manager, William Petrella at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2009

I would like to thank you for posting your comments about the Westin La Paloma, both the physical aspects and the personal connection with our staff. It’s these details that are always so important.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to enjoy cooler weather on the patio!

Reviewed August 16, 2009

The Westin La Paloma was the site for a work conference. This was my second trip to the La Paloma and each time was beautiful. In the foothills on a nature preserve surrounded by birds, critters and saguaro cacti. The rooms are spacious with the "Heavenly Beds" which they are. Food, service and accomodations were what you would expect from a Westin. I would return to this resort for personal reasons if I ever found myself back in Southern Arizona.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank AmesFL

I would like to thank you for posting about how much you enjoyed your stay at The Westin La Paloma. We hope you will have an opportunity to return to Tucson, whether for business or pleasure to relax in our heavenly beds and rejuvenate with nature.

We look forward to welcoming you back to La Paloma.

Reviewed August 9, 2009

Bad news. Westin La Paloma Resort has gone to pot. I have spent quite a bit of time at this resort in the past which is why I was comfortable booking this room. I lived in Tucson for several years and attended many events at the resort so I have stayed numerous times.
This trip was for leisure. I picked up my son after him being in AZ for a month without me and was exited about spending the day at the pool and playing on the waterslide.
We arrived early and were pleasantly suprised at being able to check in early. I was asked for a cc for incidentals (standard practice) and then informed of a $15.00 resort fee which would be put on my bill. I was not happy at all and sought out the manager who told me that this was disclosed at the time of reservation but agreed to take it off of the bill anyway. This was good.
We trekked over to our room and rushed to go down to the pool. The pool area was horrendous. There was garbage everywhere and not one of the staff members was picking it up. There were even styrofoam packing peanuts in the pool. There were plastic bottles and beer cans littering up the side areas of the waterslide which is geared towards kids. Unacceptable. There were overturned cups of frozen drinks (melted) everywhere. There were a few teenaged kids in La Paloma uniforms around but they were not interested in working at all. They spent the afternoon on their cell phones. There was one attendant at the pool working very hard to take orders to all of the patrons with no help from anyone else.
At around 5:00 or 5:30, about 30-40 people that appeared to be laborers, showed up at the pool. They were a mix of adults and teenagers. Most of the people jumped in the pool with all of their clothes on. I was absolutely shocked to see this and to see nobody checking to see if they were guests. My son and I were made to feel so uncomfortable that we left and went to our room for the evening.
Our room.....BIG PROBLEM!
The room appeared to have been tidied up but not cleaned thoroughly. There were no bags in the garbage cans. The mini bar was empty and the fridge was warm. There were no complimentary bottles of water as advertised. The wine glasses appeared to have been used, wiped out with a washcloth, and then set back out. There was only one drinking glass in the room. There was something that seemed to have come out of someone's nose on the mirror in the bathroom. There was food outside of the door on a tray when we arrive and it was still there when we departed. There were several staff members back and forth during the day so I am not sure why nobody picked it up. We even called the service express people for bottled water so I am certain that they could have picked it up if they had been so inclined.
The air conditioner didn't cool very well. I noticed the temperature to be comfortable the next morning when it was time to check out.
I discussed all of these issues with the manager upon check out. He seemed to be remorseful but offered up no sort of resolution. Evidently he had told his staff members that they could bring their familes to the resort for a "family day" which explained why there were so many people streaming in at the end of the work day. Some of these folks were still in jeans and work boots.
This is the La Paloma Resort and Spa in Tucson, Arizona. I expect much more from a Westin hotel. If I had wanted to stay in these sort of conditions, I would have booked a room at the Super 8 on the south side of the airport.
I would not return to the resort and I would not recommend as it has gone downhill fast. All of the staff is very young and doesn't seem to have a good work ethic.
One last note, I am in property management so I know that these are all items that can be addressed quickly and efficiently with the proper attention.

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank ElisabethScharf

Thank you for your specific comments and for contacting The Westin La Paloma and talking with us directly after your stay. While we are sorry to learn of your experience, rest assured we appreciate these observations and will use them to improve our service levels immediately.

Reviewed August 9, 2009

I traveled to Tucson for a business trip and was told about the Westin La Paloma. The facilitiy is beautiful however, upon check in the front desk person was kind enough to let me know that they had upgraded me to a room with a murphy bed. The last time I checked, that was not an upgrade. The room I was in was huge but looked like it was typically used as a conference room. The bed was not "heavenly" as advertised on line. I forgot my room key in my room. I hiked to the front desk (the resort is very spread out) and waited 30 minutes for the 1 desk person working to get me a new key. When I got back to my room, there was a yappie dog next door. When I was finally ready for bed, I turned out the light, turned on the TV and watched a bug run across the television screen. Gross. I will not stay there again. It's pretty scenery but that is all it has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Lkelly19

I would like to thank you for your posting. We strive to provide outstanding service every time for all our guests. I apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations on your recent visit.

We hope you will return and allow us to show you the service that our guests have come to know us for and should receive on each and every visit.

Reviewed August 4, 2009

I have to say I was a bit hesitant to stay here after reading the reviews, but I am very glad I did.

Check in was very easy. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Free self-parking, which is always a plus. The grounds are amazing. They are well kept and really beautiful. You can't beat the views. The pools are fantastic. I like the adult only areas and there are a great variety of pools for everyone.

The rooms are a nice size and very clean. There is a nice big closet. A thermostat controls the temperature...none of those horrible window air conditioning units here. A fridge and coffee maker is included. Separate tub/shower. Our toiletries were always replenished. I forgot toothpaste and it was brought to my room very quickly. The linens were clean and fresh looking. No nasty looking bed spreads.

The food was good, and I didn't think it was overly expensive. We ate at the pool twice and twice in the Desert Garden Bistro. The food and service were both great. They have a little Espresso bar where you can get coffee and some breakfast items.

They have a computer kiosk thing that you can use to print your boarding passes off and it is free, so that was really a nice bonus.

I only have two complaints (and they are really minor...nothing bad about the hotel). One, is the lack of free wi-fi. I thought for sure they should have that free service. And my second complaint is that each morning we followed the instructions to NOT have the linens changed or get new towels, and despite following the instructions, we had new linens and fresh towels every time. Not a big deal, but we did try our best to conserve water.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. It is a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank canuckgal33
Reviewed August 3, 2009

My husband and I went down to Tucson to check out a new Westin property & to celebrate his birthday. The women who checked us is was kind, the man who drove us to our room was helpful, but once we got to the pool.....the towel service attendants were stuck in their conversation with each other & didn't have much time to welcome us. The Bar tender at the swim up bar was a total jerk! No wonder customer service or friendly service doesn't exist.....he automatically added an 18% tip to the drink we walked up & ordered. We watched him interact with other customers & he acted the same way to everone!

Isn't a T.I.P. (to insure performance) at the guests/customers discretion? I will never stay on that property again & just announced it to my 315 friends on Facebook!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank admore5

Thank you for your comments. Your details will allow us to examine and perfect our service sequence in the areas you noted. We apologize for the lack of service that you received and would like you to return so that we may show you the great service that our patrons have come to know at The Westin La Paloma.