“Excellent Stay”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #19 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I was very pleased with the resort's amenities. The pools were definitely the main attraction. They were well-kept and a lot of fun, but it was a little difficult to find space in the lap pool. It might be helpful if there was a sign up to encourage people to share lanes so that we didn't necessarily have to rely on the kindness of strangers.

Nancy Manning over at the Pro Shop was the absolute best. She put up with all of my questions, and was very knowledgeable about different exercises. The valets up front were also very helpful; Phyllis in particular. It was nice that they had cold water bottles or umbrellas as the occasion dictated. Overall I was pretty happy with my stay.

I think the only short-comings of the visit were that the beds were somewhat stiff and I think one of the people at the front desk short-changed me on my Starwood Preferred Guest vouchers. I was staying for 14 nights and he only gave me 12 vouchers at first. I had to ask for another and it wasn't until later that I realized I was supposed to have yet another.

The rooms are nice and spread out. Some of my associates complained about noisy neighbors, but I didn't have any problem with that. There were some mosquitoes and moths that managed to sneak into my room, but I think that's somewhat understandable in just about any area. I was very pleased with the housekeeping: I never ran out of toilet paper, shampoo, or soap during my stay.

I think the most alarming thing was that two of my associates said someone in a hotel uniform knocked on their doors to "inventory" their rooms. She was a blonde, about 5'10", average build. When one of them reported their concern to hotel security, security said they had no idea who it was.

Room Tip: I wasn't very happy that my room was in the furthest building from the main hotel, but I never h...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Thank you for being our guest at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa, and thank you for your feedback about the amenities and services. Nancy and Phyllis are two superstars in our team, to be sure! The Westin Heavenly Bed is featured at our resort. The Heavenly Bed has received accolades in the industry and from our guests since its introduction, however sleep comfort is a very personal thing and not every preference can be accommodated by one bed style. I am sorry to learn that your associates were alarmed by a hotel employee requesting access to their room. The employee was our Director of Operations. She was working on a project on Sunday, along with other managers of the resort that involved going into every room to ensure our systems are current with the features and amenities of the room. The information will be used to further enhance the service that Starwood Hotels and Resorts provides to our SPG members. I look forward to welcoming you back and to introducing the new enhancement to SPG reservations very soon! Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,857)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

My stay at Westin La Paloma was fun. The property is very beautiful, and my wife and I spent the majority of our time out by the pool.
I had a few complaints: my room smelled like mildew, the bed was not that comfortable, and on my last glorious night the person staying above had apparently forgot their Ambien. The person above us kept pacing... ALL...NIGHT...LONG.
When I called they said they would take care of it. Not sure what was going on, but it sounded like big feet just stomping across the floor.
Anyway so my stay was less than stellar, and I just feel that if the staff would have at least asked how my stay was versus just asking for my credit card, I would have at least been able to vent.

But I suppose when you stay at the Westin its just a "guaranteed" great stay, and the most comfortable bed you have ever slept in.

I suppose the staff is there just to collect your money.

Anyway, I digress, its a beautiful property, the mountains are awesome, pool side is great.
Hopefully you will get an awesome bed, mildew free room, and quiet neighbors.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Thank you for having been our guest at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. It is always disappointing to learn that an otherwise enjoyable stay is impacted by issues both controllable and non-controllable. The Housekeeping and Engineering teams are investigating the smell you reported and will be diligent in finding the cause and correcting any problem. Our guest rooms, like all Westin hotels and resorts, feature the Heavenly Bed with our custom Simmons mattresses and signature bedding. Sleep comfort is very individual and although the Heavenly Bed has received rave reviews, it will not suit every sleep preference. A critical element of our Farewell is ensuring guest concerns are heard and satisfaction is confirmed. Please accept my apologies for my associate’s failure to provide this at checkout. We will continue on-going training with a focus on the importance of listening to find solutions. Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back. Stay well, Glenn sampert, General Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2014

The Westin LaPaloma is one of the best resorts in Arizona! They cater to your every need, know what you need before you ask and they make my companies annual event another huge success!! I can't thank them enough or praise them enough for everything they do for me as the event planner and for my comany! I would recommend The Westin LaPaloma to anyone whether it's for a company event or for a nice relaxing personal stay! They make everything worthwhile and special!!

Room Tip: all of their newly rejuvinated rooms are amazing!
1  Thank PhoenixWinelover

Thank you for sharing your recommendations. I hope we may see you soon for a little time away from work for a few days of rejuvenation and renewal. Work and play well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

We recently stated at la Paloma resort with the grand chapter session of Arizona, order of the eastern star. This resort is absolutely beautiful. There are 7 pools and spas - I tried all of them. Be careful the tile around pools is slippery. There are pools for children and water slide but many couples brought their small children into the adult pool, which was bothersome. The pools are not very clean - need to be skimmed more often
The staff around the pool are mostly college students employed for the summer. They were not really helpful, mostly fooling around in stead of waiting on clientele. I had to go to the main cabana to close out my tab because my server couldn't be found, where I found 4 of them joking around and playing with a toy plane. However the ones that ran the golf carts were very friendly and helpful stopping anywhere you were to pick you up. Probably because they earned a tip most of the time from our group who were grateful for the ride. The resort is huge and spread out 22acres I was told. The paths between the buildings where the rooms are was not well lit and often the paths had loose gravel. Two ladies from our group slipped on the gravel at different times falling - resulting in sprains and a broken foot.
The rooms are clean and spacious with balconies and small fridges but no microwave. The best food is from the grill by the pool- great chicken nachos $14 and everything is resort pricey. There are some fast food places about 1-2 miles from resort. You can self park for free but be prepared to walk!! At least til you catch a golf cart. Otherwise valet parking is $20 per night.
I would go back again just because of the pools and relaxing atmosphere !

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Splash2016
Reviewed August 19, 2014

An amazing, fun and affordable place to stay w/family friendly options as well as an adult-only pool that is open until 11 pm. The staff was incredible, the options more than satisfying and the poolside service makes you feel totally pampered. Yes, you pay a resort fee, however, with all the extras they provide, it's totally worth the price. The rooms are great, the beds are amazingly comfortable with pillows you melt into. I will stay there again and again. I've never been happier at a resort. We ate at Azul restaurant and it was excellent. I love this place and you can't beat the price for what you get. The staff was awesome throughout the entire resort and they will even mail out postcards, letters, etc. and charge it to your room. They take care of you here, you just have to tell them what you need. It's about a 25 minute ride to Tucson International Airport and about 20 mins to Catalina State Park. They also offer free shuttle rides to and from La Encantada, an excellent, outdoor shopping center. One last thing...drive to the top of Ina Rd at night...a view of Tucson you can't beat.

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay a little more, ask for a room with a view of the sunset and on the third f...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunnydays007

Thank you for sharing. I hope your travels will bring you to Tucson soon. We all look forward to welcoming you back to La Paloma for another few days of tranquility and relaxation. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Was driving back from Texas and booked this resort at a steal. Same price as lower level hotels like hampton in but got Westin quality. I was traveling with my Partner and Father in law so decided to upgrade to a larger suite. The front desk was extremely helpful and got a fantastic three bedroom suite with a ton of room and beautiful views. I personally loved the resort and restaurants on site. The pools were nice but packed and water looked a bit cloudy so decided to skip that and just relax at the bar instead.

The father in law has trouble walking, when it's not a casino. So he complained that the resort was too spread out. We did use the golf carts, but it was hit and miss when they would come to pick you up. So if you are old and don't like to walk, I wouldn't stay at a golf resort to begin with, but for everyone else it was a fantastic hotel with beautiful views and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank n8dagrt

I’m delighted you chose La Paloma for your stay during your journey home.. Thank you for sharing and I hope you will return for a few days so you may explore Tucson and experience all our amenities at La Paloma. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Reviewed August 19, 2014

I live in Tucson, but chose to stay at this Resort for a convention here. I spent 5 days, mostly going to meetings, but I also ate at 2 restaurants on the premise. I found the Resort to be well staffed and very friendly. When our convention people needed something, it was taken care of in a timely manor. The only thing we had a problem with was signing up for the "Green" thing. We signed up not realizing that it meant we would not have ANY room service at all. No trash basket emptying (we had bananas in the room and put the skins in the trash). No change of addition of towels, etc. when needed. We thought it meant our linens would not be changed.When we decided to switch off the "green thing" one night we called for new towels to use the next morning and was told we would have to wait until the next day. Hubby was not too happy about this, but the next day they did come and clean the room. Other than that, it is an awesome place to stay in Tucson. We did not use any of the amenities, but I'm sure they were fine. The Resort did give our group a good room rate and set up a "special" breakfast and lunch menu each day at the same price.

Room Tip: If you want to be within a short walking distance of the main lobby and restaurant, ask for a room i...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your convention. I hope you will have an opportunity to return for a relaxing staycation, leaving work at the office. We look forward to welcoming you back. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager