“Quality property, beautifully appointed, clean, attentive staff”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #19 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winfield, Illinois
“Quality property, beautifully appointed, clean, attentive staff”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We just had dinner at Azul on property-we had a table on the patio near the pools. It was a beautiful evening in the moonlight. Our very attentive waiter Zach kept the mood enchanting and made sure we were warm by lighting heaters near our table. The food options were all very fresh and tasty. Great wine list as well. No crowds. What are you waiting for?? Make sure to ask for Zach and he will exceed your expectations for a wonderful dinner experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Cheers! Thank you for sharing your praises of AZuL and Zach. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I was there on a business trip and I expected the place to be beautiful- it is a resort. My expectations were far exceeded. Its aesthetic appeal was beauty at every turn. The thing that sets things apart from any resort I have been to is the staff. On a chance meeting, I had the glorious pleasure of meeting William A. He had a brief, welcoming conversation with myself and my co-worker. During that conversation, he discovered that I had severe food allergies. With all of our meals being beautiful buffets, I have to be extra careful for health reasons of my choices. William took it upon himself to watch out for me and provide the most person service I have ever experienced. He spoke to the Chef at every meal and provided me with safe, fresh and delicious foods. I felt very important and special and not like a bother as it becomes to some. Sometimes I choose not to tell those around me of my issue because they tend to treat me as if I am asking for special treatment or looking to ruin something for them. William was AWESOME. The entire staff was very accommodating and so very nice. William was so special I wanted to take him with me- because I felt so cared for and not a bother at all. My room was well taken care of and the facility made we want to come back to Arizona. William made me want to be his friend- I truly felt like he was my long time friend. Thank you.

Room Tip: I was in building -I- the views day and night were stupendous. Sunrise was something special that I...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Rachel_Princessita
You are most welcome from all of us at La Paloma. You most certainly have a home away from home when you stay with us. We look forward to having you return. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was my second stay at the Westin La Paloma and I enjoyed every moment of it. The valet and bell staff were very attentive and always willing to help. The pool was beautiful and well-maintained. I felt like I wasn't even in Arizona anymore...more like somewhere in Mexico maybe! The room was delightful and spacious with a good view of the Santa Catalinas and the resort. My only concerns were an unwelcoming check-in (although when I addressed the issue with the staff, I was told that the girl that checked me in had only been working there for three days. Ok, I understand. I remember my third day on the job too, but the guest always comes first...especially in hospitality) and pool bar staff that didn't even know one champagne on the menu. He offered to check the menu for me, but when he came back he said that he couldn't even pronounce the name! Maybe the staff needs to be trained on going above and beyond for the guest. Not every encounter with staff was unwelcoming, though. My waitress at Azul was very kind and engaged me in conversation, and the restaurant manager even arranged a boxed lunch for me and my girlfriend for our trip to Summerhaven the following day. This property is one of my favorite in Arizona and I will continue coming here whenever I need a little staycation from the daily grind of Phoenix.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spartin117117
Jacqueline M, Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at The Westin La Paloma. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and take all comments on areas of improvement quite seriously. We will discuss your specific comments with our teams, and hope to delight you upon your next stay with an even higher level of service than expected. Thank you for your visit, we hope you return soon. Be well.
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I recently stayed at the La Paloma March 3-7 for a scientific workshop. This is an breautiful resort, breath taking views, and overall excellent stay.
Pros:
Excellent service
Delicious food (lunch and dinner)
Great bar and lounge
Excellent wifi signal
Isolated adult pool area
Very quiet for such a large property
Excellent free shuttle to shopping mall
Nice amenities

Cons:
Far away from downtown-big taxi expense
If you have allergies- dont go in springtime, worst allergy attack ever
Meeting rooms very cold

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Bruce W
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing. I hope to see you back enjoying without allergies when the pollen season is over! Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Cherry Hills Village, CO
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The la Paloma continues to be a go to resort for me when I go to Tucson because I have gobs of Starwood points from my Amex/Starwood credit card (which is the best deal going). I used the cc to pay for the room and my golf. Unlike other credit card programs where points are worth one penny with the Starwood/Amex card they are
worth 1.33 cents. (So 22500 points bought $300 worth of golf and other incidental charges). The renovation of the resort is complete and very nicely done. The pool area has been redone on travertine tile and is quite beautiful. All in all I had a lovely stay and the staff was attentive and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Charles B
Thank you Charles! We are pleased that you chose to enjoy the benefits of your Starwood Preferred Guest membership at The Westin La Paloma, and even more pleased that you enjoyed the rejuvenation of the resort, and had the opportunity to experience our Championship Jack Nicklaus golf course - I hope the round went as well as your experience at the resort! Be well.
London, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Just winding down a wonderful week at La Paloma. Staff were consistently polite and service was top notch. As a mom (and physical therapist) of an active family of teens, we had lots to see and do in Tucson and at La Paloma. Some of our favorite memories are the workout classes with Nancy Manning (she was motivating, upbeat and was easily able to adapt her work outs to the variety of levels of participants). After workouts, we loved having a healthy breakfast and smoothies at the Courtside Deli, with great service by the ever cheerful Gabrielle. We were happy that the resort was "green" but found it could have used some blue recycling bins beside garbage cans. Resort was very clean. We would love to return another year.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We certainly would like to see your family return for another vacation. Tucson has the perfect weather anytime of the year for an active family. As you noted how much you enjoyed the classes at the Westin WORKOUT, we also have Our Heavenly Bed, RunWestin and SuperFoodsRX for your continued well-being. We use the single stream recycling method, so rest assured that any discarded items in our trash bins that can be recycled will be recycled. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Beaumont, California
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed at the La Paloma Resort March 7-9th and It was the most needed and wonderful vacation I have taken to this day. To start I had a complicated check in and Jose at the front desk was more than helpful and accomidating. I booked the La Paloma suite and Jose was kinda enough to help me turn my upgrade fee into points. He also sent my fiance and I a fruit and cheese plate for our anniversary. Thank you! and he did call to check on us to see how we liked the room.
My only complaint was that our parlor was not ready when we checked in at 3:30 and we had to wait till after 6pm to finally recieve our keys.
Dining at Azul was wonderful. Thank you Lilia for your wonderful service and bringing us a delicious meal. For breakfast we had the buffet and when we were finished we were jealous that we didn't wait for brunch. Malgda was our breakfast server and she was very sweet and smiled when we asked about her passion. You can tell starwood takes special care when hiring their associates.
All the bellman were wonderful I wish I could remeber their names to give them a proper review. But they were very knowledgable about the area and recommended Blanco a resaurant down the street that was fun and had amazing food.
Thank you once again for the wonderful experiance.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the golf course
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm delighted to read so many names from our resort that created a memorable stay for you in such a short time. Thank you for sharing and I hope to see you and your fiancé return for a week of relaxation. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager