“Beautiful Resort, Fantastic Staff”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Beautiful Resort, Fantastic Staff”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

After having just spent five days at this beautiful resort for a conference, I can genuinely say this is one of the nicest and most accommodating places I have ever stayed. The staff was extremely helpful in every possible way, and the food for each of our plated meals and events was absolutely amazing. One of the associates William Arce was phenomenal, always checking up on us to see if there was anything else that he could do to help, not to mention going out of his way to help us set up during our event. Excellent experience, would definitely return again thank you!

Room Tip: Rooms in building H had a beautiful view of Tucson at night.
Green Features: They are extremely environmentally-friendly, and offer a food/meal voucher in return for not changing your sheets every day that you are there.
2 Thank jymacias10
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing how much you enjoyed your conference with us. We do have the perfect surroundings as well as extraordinary cuisine and service staff to create a memorable stay for both business and pleasure. I look forward to seeing you back to The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa in the very near future. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Let me preface this by saying I am not a resort traveler - I would rather be out there with the locals than sequestered away on the edge of town, where they offer "Waxing Wednesdays" and golf. However, the weather was beautiful (in early October), the mountain scenery lovely, and pools galore - including a water slide and a swim-up bar. So if you have to be trapped in a resort (or if you like to be trapped in a resort), this is a nice one. For what you get, the price was quite reasonable - $145/night when I was there. Large rooms, big bathrooms with separate shower and tub. Small deck outside the room overlooking the hills or the pool. Everything very much up to date and newish.

One downside is it is not easy to get off the hotel grounds - and it can get old eating from the same restaurant two or three times a day. They do offer a complimentary shuttle up to 10pm that can take you out within a ~3-mile radius... but within that radius is mostly other resorts and a fancy mall. To get into town and try out some of the local Mexican food or mingle with locals, you will need to either have a car, or get a cab - and it can take a while for a cab to come, and they are not cheap since you really are on the perimeter here (~$50 cab ride from the Tucson airport).

The resort is also dog-friendly.

Green Features: They offer a $5 credit for forgoing full made service, but isn't it a bit of a charade to take the mantel of environmental sustainability when you have a big resort out in the desert? Just the number of plastic water bottles they go through each day must be enormous.
2 Thank SantoGabacho
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing how we may have won you over as a resort destination. I am delighted to read you enjoyed many of our amenities while you were “trapped” here. We are on the perimeter of the city of Tucson, nestled in the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains with the great mountain views. I do hope you will be back to Tucson and will choose The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa for your stay. Be well and I look forward to having you as our guest. Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Atlanta
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We spent last week at the resort,played golf every other day and visited Tubac,Old Tucson,the Titan II Missile Site/Museum and Pima Air Museum/"Boneyard". The property is set below the santa catalina mountains and the colors change throughout the day. Excellent room with easy access to the many pools and hot tubs. Also,enjoyed the water slide! Staff was great,at the course (Vinny and Paul) and at the Country Club, where we ate breakfast almost every morning. I think that this would be a tremendous place to hold a meeting,something for everyone. Special thanks to Ale in the lounge for being so welcoming and attentive. All in all I would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: We stayed close to the Country Club,easy parking and close to Golf Course.
Green Features: They will ask if you would be interested in skipping the linen service,we took advantage of this program.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Will W
Thank you for sharing how much you enjoyed our staff, location and amenities while staying at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. You had a full schedule and I’m sure there are many more attractions you would like to see in Tucson. I hope to see you soon enjoying another round of golf and dining at the club, as well as an evening beverage in the AZuL Lounge. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had a wonderful time staying at this hotel for a conference. The service was great all around, the food was tasty, and I had exceptional service from William Arce at our welcome reception the first evening.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
William and I thank you for sharing how he provided outstanding service to begin your conference at La Paloma. I, along with the rest of our staff, look forward to welcoming you back for business and/or pleasure. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Arizona
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Property recently was renovated and is beautiful. Rooms (Building c) where we stayed overlooks the golf course. Room was clean and felt new. Enjoyed a breakfast and lunch at Azul and food was very good and a nice presentation. Spent the afternoon at the pool(s), nicely spread out for privacy. In the evening, sat outside by the fire fountains and just enjoyed the quiet atmosphere.

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course, upper level.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review of our renovations, dining and the ambiance of our Resort. As fall approaches, I look forward to see you once more relaxing in the evening by our fire pits with the Catalina Mountains as your backdrop. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had to travel to Tucson on business and have been to several nicer Starwood hotels around the country but what made this one was the size of the rooms, the views from the pool area and from your room looking down at the pool, and most importantly - the people. I had some personal things I needed to get mailed and Jose at the front desk really went the extra mile in helping me mail those things. He was very pleasant in every interaction and extremely helpful as I did not know the surrounding area or the layout of the resort. I want to commend Westin la Paloma for investing in great people - it really stood out in my mind.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing how Jose added to your stay by his friendly, personalized assistance. Our staff genuinely enjoys interacting with each guest, providing a memorable stay for all. I look forward to having you return and let us treat you once more to a great vacation. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We went for our 37th wedding anniversary, and they made us feel special putting Champange and chocolate covered strawberries in our room while we were out! The room was nice and the bed was wonderful! I have a hard time sleeping and I slept very well.The room we were in was quite a walk for me but they came in a golf cart if I needed to get to the car. The only thing is their bathtubs are really narrow, I was unable to take a bath but the showers are great. Loved ALL the staff! I WILL be back!

• Stayed September 2013
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
You are special and we are delighted you chose The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa as your destination for your 37th Anniversary. Thank you for sharing and I hope to have you return for your next anniversary, if not sooner. Our staff will be here to ensure another wonderful stay. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager