“A Westin experience... FAIL” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mpls, MN
“A Westin experience... FAIL”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Spring Break in Arizona... you're expecting a pool, right? WRONG! 5 days before the "welcome" email with a tiny bomb inside - "Westin resort pools are being renovated." Seriously? Went anyway, tried to make the best of it. Good news here is that all of the rooms have been renovated; construction is nearly finished - nearly because people were painting outside the room (daily) and cutting tile below the room (daily) and there were more construction workers than guests.
Our room was beautiful... too bad it was poorly serviced. The bathroom floor was so dirty I ended up scrubbing it myself so my feet wouldn't get so dirty walking in there. Pretty doesn't make up for clean. The pull-out had no bedding, the coffee machine was a "one-cup," but all the supplies were for a coffee pot. The toilet seats are smaller than the actual toilet. One of the cleaning staff left our balcony doors unlocked EVERY TIME. The safe is really difficult to use hidden under the sink & putting the fridge in the bedroom is a horrible idea. (We had a suite.) Bed and bedding was AMAZING, but the air conditioning units were really LOUD.
The Country Club Pool was the substitute for the resort pools. It was big enough, but the area wasn't set up to be a resort. The country club people weren't super-friendly (I don't blame them) and we got chased out by the CC swim club. The apron surround at the CC pool was flithy, not sprayed off the enitre week we were there. The pool chairs were so old and uncomfortable. The pool staff (drinks/snacks and the kid program directors) were the BEST part of this resort. Yay for Britiny & Obed!
Azul was over-priced and not up to par; Sabino's was really limited, but understandable with the construction issues. The "Starbucks" offered at the hotel was terrible. The best meals are at the nearby mall - North was excellent, Firebirds and we loved Frost's gelatto! The hotel shuttle will take you there, too, which is nice. We also had lunch at El Saguarito - delicious & healthy! Yum!
The front desk staff was friendly, but no one ever knew an answer to our questions - they always had to check with someone else first; they also missed a huge opportunity with us; we booked a room for our family & then booked another room for our joiners who stayed for a few nights. Instead of finding a way to keep us close (I didn't expect adjoining rooms) on property, we were in Building C & H - they are as far apart as you can get. Again, missed opportunities to go above and beyond, which should be the standard at a Westin. I would like to thank Dino for all of his help with our joiners & transfers around the property. His customer service was exceptional and helped to smooth over this issue.
If you're looking for something close to attractions or the airport, this is NOT your place. It's in a good location in the foothills above Tucson, but the only thing close by is Sabino Canyon. Other attractions to visit? Desert Museum & Kartchner Cavern. We also did a sunset trail ride at Hacendia Del Sol; thanks to Rick for a fun afternoon!
Arizona was fun, but we'll stay at the JW or the Ritz for accomodations next time.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear AB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay. While we are delighted to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms, we are sorry to hear that the you were disappointed in our housekeeping services. We will take your feedback back to our team and address the issues you encountered.

We hope to welcome you back in the future when you can experience our completed resort rejuvenation!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in March. We planned our entire Spring Break trip around the fact that this resort has 5 pools and a waterside, not to mention tennis courts. As we were checking in, the reservation clerk said, "And of course you know that three of our pools are closed for renovation?" Of course we didn't. I asked about the waterslide and she said that was closed too!. They asked if we had received an e-mail about it and I said, no. We would of picked a resort at a beach location, if we would of known this. They canceled our resort fee of $20 a day, which we found was back on our bill on check-out day, so we had to have them remove that again. We also signed up to save water, by not having our sheets and towels washed each day. What they didn't tell us, was that we had to call them each day to have them drop off coffee and to empty our trash. What does that have to do with saving water? We were also suppose to get a $5 card each day to use at the hotel, for saving water. We got that for 2 of the 4 days and since we didn't get coffee in our room, we used it for the two days, to help pay towards our expensive Starbucks coffee in the lobby. We payed over $300 a night for a Master Suite that was renovated. The pluses, were the size of the room and the bathrooms. The living room area was unimpressive. Nothing that made it look like it was a nice resort. We went to the pool behind the hotel one afternoon, but it was so loud from the pool renovation going on, that it wasn't relaxing. Who decides to do a pool renovation at Spring Break???? That's ridiculous. It should of been done during the Winter. We spent most of our time seeing sights and came home without a tan, which my teenager will be reminding me of for a very long time. Next time we go to Tucson, which is a beautiful area, we will stay at the Hilton El Conquistador. The only downside of our trip to Tucson, was this hotel. We've stayed at many Westin's and this was below par for what we expect at a Westin hotel.

Room Tip: If you have kids, don't stay here until the pool renovations are completed.
1 Thank Lislcat
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at the La Paloma for two nights. It's very nice even with renovations going on. Pool staff was excellent! Front desk and room service were great as well. There was a little more "to do" about most aspects of the resort (the insistence a bellman take our bags to our room, that there had to be a special delivery for more coffee to our room...why couldn't the front desk just hand it to me) which isn't really our thing but really can't complain about much. Our room was nice, newly renovated and comfortable. We were on a main drag of the property so there was a lot of traffic around our room but our location was good for the self parking. We like the SPG brand. Definitely appreciated being rewarded for opting out of room service and the express checkout.

Room Tip: Buildings A and B were close to self parking.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms and that you found our staff to be helpful.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Upon driving up we were greeted by Karen, of Service Express. Her wonderful personality & helpfulness was super. Our room wasn't ready so we had lunch with Mario in the Azul diniing room. He suggested a great lunch for us and recommended places to go for our first time in Tucson. By the time we made it to our room there were chocolates compliments of Karen AND champagne compliments of Mario...WOW! We had to move our room because the air conditioner couldn't be fixed. By the time we got back to our room after spending the day out; the staff had moved us to a wonderful room with a fantastic view of the mountains AND the golf course. My husband left his shirt hanging in the original room. Denise had no problem locating it and getting it back to him. This was a special anniversary made even more special!

Room Tip: Golf course view was quiet and the sunsets were spectacular!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arleen S
Dear Arleen,

Congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary! We are delighted that you chose to celebrate at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa and are very happy to hear that our staff was able to make your stay memorable.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel, unfortunately I had quite a few issues with the staff here. When I arrived I opted out of maid service and requested no-one enter the room, as I have a dog. Which to the hotels credit has great accommodation for dogs. Coming back from a walk I see an employee leaving my room.

Normally when you want them to get your food tray you set it outside, I even was notified that is what I should do, I was even given a written card with these instructions, but in this case the employee decided to take the tray from the room anyway without permission. Despite many people telling me this is not standard protocol, this was somehow my fault.

Cleaning staff also have a need to put the CB radios on full volume as they clean outside your door.

When I called to complain about this I found out on checkout that I was charged on the card on file without permission at the time I made the complaint call. I had planned to pay cash and informed them on arrival, to settle the bill, instead they withdrew the payment from my social security account without my permission. Another example of another manager telling me this is odd, and shouldn't have happened. Things happened, more than once, and there was no genuine apology, or any remedy, the primary issue I have with the staff.

Instead they offered a "Its more your fault for not reinforcing your previous requests with the do not disturb sign."

I now have service charges for the automatic payment from this account for my electric bill that did not go though, because funds I wanted to reserve for this particular account were taken by the staff. I run a different kind budget system than most.

Also the hot-tub for the main area had more stuff (bugs, tree parts, ect) floating around than I have seen at any hotel. It was also only accessible by going thru a cold water pool. And the hot tub was luke-warm, with other guests walking around looking for heated vents, to no avail. and leaving.

One of the life guards on duty never looked up from game running on his phone.

The country club area was open due to the renovations on the main hotel pools, which was far better than the main hotel. I do not recall being notified at all upon booking that the pool area was under construction. One of the reasons we picked this was because the kids liked how the pools looked.

We also had a wonderful view at breakfast at the azul restaurant of a green tarp covered construction fence. Placed to cover the entire window. I do not dress as if I have wealth intentionally. When you have wealth, there isn't a need to do anything but be comfortable, and stay at places that are comfortable and up to the standard you came to pay for and expect.

It was clear that this resulted in different treatment, which I am sadly used to. I did not appreciate the "its 25 bucks for the buffet", almost in question form, as if I would not be able to cover such a price. All other guests had a view, with plenty of other tables open with one as well. I shouldn't have to ask to move for a view.

I wont be returning, there are plenty of other resorts who have a better sense of customer service. To be clear I wont accept a compensation, I don't need it, I just will forward up the ladder as any company should know where they are under-performing, and post reviews as a warning for others of potential issues.

Assuming someone on Social security may not have the funds, and charge the social security account to verify, is a problem (a federal one that affects every retiree and disabled SSDI recipient - see section 207 of social security act), especially when your net worth is still in the millions. So much for the 40 person family gathering for x-mas I wanted to arrange.

This trip was intended to scout the hotel out, I did, they failed, and I am now on to the next resort.

1 Thank ahotelpatron
San Marcos, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Driving from Texas to Arizona, we planned a stop in Tucson. A different hotel experience as the rooms are separated from the main hotel casita style. The units are actually built into the slope of the Mountains, and the landscaping restores the look of the native desert. The main lobby is stunning, and the convention areas and ballrooms seemed quite large.

Azul restaurant was excellent. The hostess informed us it was a busy night, which was odd because we could not see many tables. Most of the tables are segregated from view, offering a view of the patio and pool. The entrees were delicious and the bread was unbelievable. We had breakfast at Azul as well and it was very well prepared. The breads were also great.

Most of the walkways from the rooms to the hotel were covered, which would be great in summer or rainy weather. It was not a busy weekend, but it was obvious the resort was designed to host large groups of business travelers. We would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms as well as the lobby with mountain and city views.

We hope you had a safe drive and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel just renovated was fabulous! The staff were wonderful! Kent was very kind and helpful,
couldn't do enough for us. Gabriele makes the best sandwich's ever! :-) The dining room staff made my husband's birthday memorable. They were considerate. We will absolutely be returning,
no question, great place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Karaliki,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you found our staff helpful and friendly and that you enjoyed our newly renovated resort. We hope your husband had a wonderful birthday!