“Great resort for fitness, sports & recreation”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #19 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio, Texas
“Great resort for fitness, sports & recreation”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Overall, the resort is very nice. First the down side.... The rooms are tired and dated. They are very much in need of a renovation. I was expecting this since the resort has not had a major renovation, so I can't say I was hugely disappointed. (Also we got a really great rate.) The bed, of course, was very nice and the room was clean. The carpet, especially, was clean. The air conditioner was kind of loud & the shower could use a light in it. Other minor things needed fixing but wasn't a big enough deal to report. It was a little difficult to get the AC to cool low enough, but we finally just slept with the patio door slightly open. The huge flat screen TVs were great, but they did not offer HD channels. Try watching a football game with fuzzy players! I thought the in-room movies were excessively expensive too... $20.99 was the cheapest I saw!!

Now for all the positives...

First of all, the location is fantastic. There's a high-end shopping center a mile away that features great shopping & even better restaurants. All of the restaurants have happy hours & we spent most of our evenings there. the resort offers a free shuttle. Also, if you're looking for hiking - the Sabino Canyon recreational park is about a 10 minute drive from the resort. It's a fantastic hiking park. Lots of trails, low entrance fee, restrooms, etc. Several paths were paved in the event you have a stroller.

Back to the resort.... The heated pools are amazing. The kids' slide looked really fun, and there are 3 hot tubs & a cold water dip pool. We were there in early Nov, but it appeared there were plenty of lounge chairs & umbrellas. They were also nice-looking lounge chairs. Resort offers pool side waiter service too. I thought the pool and surrounding grounds were very nicely maintained.

The fitness center exceeded my expectations (for a hotel). There are 2 weight training rooms, 1 cardio room, a heated lap pool, racquetball courts, & ample tennis courts. They offer towels & free headphones for the cardio machines. The weight rooms were extremely well stocked with life fitness & cybex machines. I found most to be in good, working condition. My only complaint is that 3 days a week a circuit training class (offered for the private club members, not hotel guests) takes over the weight room for an hour. The sign on the door says individual work outs should be done in the room they are not using. Problem is they were using BOTH rooms. I worked out around them using machines they were not currently using. Even though I was quickly in and out, I got several dirty looks from the group. This may seem like a minor "problem" given they only dominate the space 3 times a week, however if it's the 1 hr you are there to work out, it's a big deal. The solution, Westin, is for this group to allow others to work out around them (without the nasty glares). Using common gym courtesy machines can be shared and used by several people.

Other things... I appreciate the self parking was free & convenient. The staff is helpful & friendly, which is expected. It's best to take the bell service golf cart to your room when you check-in. The rooms are very spread out & we would've been lost had we gone out on our own first. We only had one meal at the hotel - breakfast in the restaurant. It was fine. they did not offer a buffet, only menu service. The Sunday brunch looked great, but we did not partake.

Summary - great location, fabulous pools, great fitness center, tired / dated rooms

Room Tip: We requested a mountain view room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
TheWestinLaPaloma, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Thank you for writing about all that you enjoyed, as I am always glad to read such positive commentaries. I hope you will be able to return soon to spend more time at La Paloma. Plan a Sunday to dine at Azul and enjoy the brunch. It’s a perfect way to spend a holiday weekend. I wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We had another great Annual Meeting at the Westin La Paloma. The beautiful location, exceptional staff, and outstanding service are second to none. Everyone is responsive, friendly, and professional. They really go above and beyond with every detail. I love going back there, and look forward to going back again next year!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
TheWestinLaPaloma, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thank you for your posting and it is always a pleasure to be your host for your annual meeting. Until next year, I wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I wanted to recognize and thank Christina Caballero, a Westin Service Express Agent, for her excellent commitment to customer service. I was stuck at a trail head with rental car trouble as it was getting dark and cold. Christina was able to quickly arrange car service to bring me back to the hotel where I could wait for the tow truck company. The tow truck took over an hour more to get there. Christina may have prevented me from becoming a frozen mountain lion dinner. She also had some snacks sent to my room to help me replenish ... "Replenish your spirit" is the Westin motto. Thank you Christina!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
From Christina -you are most welcome. I want to thank you for your posting about your La Paloma experience. We look forward to having you return to Tucson and enjoy more of the hiking trails we have to offer. I wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Napa, California
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My mom and I were gifted a weeks stay at The Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa by my brother who had extra Starwood Resort points. The location of the resort is just beautiful, located at the foothill of the Catalina Mountains. Desert beauty is all around you, and the La Paloma golf course adds a lush green touch to the scenery.

I had read all the reviews I could find to help us while we were at The Westin La Paloma. It appeared to me that no matter where people stayed on the grounds, they were happy and recommended their location for potential guests. I guess you just can't go wrong---the resort is beautiful from all locations. We stayed in Building A and I couldn't have been happier. Our balcony faced the golf course, but we also had a view of the mountains. We were centrally located and didn't have to worry at all about reaching the parking lot, going to the restaurants , shops etc. (some reviews said the resort was so big that getting to some of the locations was quite a schlep---though the staff is available to drive you in golf carts) We also asked for a second floor room since people had said desert critters sometimes wandered into ground level rooms. We didn't see any critters on the resort the whole week we were there (just birds, which I think most people enjoy seeing)

Everyone on the staff we came in contact with was warm, friendly, and helpful. Cole, at The Azul Restaurant was especially kind. I had mentioned reading a review about the restaurant's chocolate cake (death by chocolate in the review, a molten chocolate cake with hazelnut ice cream) and to our surprise he had one sent out to us - his treat! From the minute we pulled up to the resort in our rental car, we were greeted with smiles and a staff made up of seemingly very genuinely kind people.

We never did use the pool, which looked beautiful, and I am sure would be a wonderful place to hang out in warmer weather. We actually didn't take advantage of many of the resorts possible experiences...no tennis, no golf, no spa. We tried to get out and do things around Tucson, and enjoyed what time we did have back at The Westin La Paloma, our base camp for the week.

The highlights of our trip were all things I had researched on line, and were also recommended by the concierge at the resort, whose name I forgot, but she was very helpful. We had an incredible jeep tour through the desert with Trail Dust Jeep Adventures---the highlight of our trip! We loved the scenic drive we took out to Biosphere 2 and the tour that we took there. We did museums in Tucson, but never did make it down to The Desert Museum (next time!) We enjoyed some fabulous meals in local restaurants (The J Bar, Azul (twice for dinner, once for breakfast), Tavolinos, Firebirds, El Charro, Acacia and the best gelato I ever had at Allegro Gelato near 6th and Campbell.

We asked to have a small refrigerator delivered to the room, so we were able to have a lot of our breakfasts in the room---there are plenty of shopping centers nearby, so it was easy to find a Safeway to shop at. The resort was very accommodating to all our requests. We had them bring an extra robe to the room, the refrigerator and also called for someone to repair the television (which just had a loose connection at the cable on the back). Each request was taken care of very quickly (minutes). I was also especially happy to learn that free internet was included with the room. The connection was very good and reliable, and the one time I did have trouble, which was due to something I did, the tech on the phone quickly helped me get back on line.

Some reviewers complained that the rooms were run down. I suppose if you always stay at newer five star hotels you might find the fixtures in the bathroom are not quite up to all 2011 has to offer, but we were very pleased to have such a clean, spacious room with its own balcony, cooler, coffee maker (and the maid switched out all our coffee for decaf per our request and made sure we always had enough). The bathtub was comfortable (no jets or anything like that), and we liked that the shower was separate and that there were two sinks.
We stayed in a double, which was great for us. I am sure the suites are beautiful, but I certainly had a wonderful stay in what the Westin considers a more basic room.

As for the Westin's famous 'heavenly beds'. I have to admit, I like my tempurpedic at home even more, but it was probably one of the best beds I have ever had away from home. I am pretty picky about my pillow too, and each bed had 4 standard pillows and I did find one that was close to perfect for my taste for sleeping.

The day before we left, a group of 800 came in for a conference. It did become noisier in the lounge and restaurant area, but it didn't really affect us---it is a big place, and they seem to have room to take large groups like this.

We had a choice to stay at any of the Starwood resorts with the points my brother had. I did a lot of checking reviews on line, and for what we wanted ( a somewhat relaxing vacation with plenty of options of things to do, in a beautiful setting, with easy to navigate roads) The Westin La Paloma proved to be an excellent choice!

Room Tip: Look at the map and decide how far you want to be from key locations. The entire property is beauti...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
TheWestinLaPaloma, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Thank you for doing your research and choosing The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa for your Starwood vacation. We were obviously the correct resort for you and your mother. Your posting provided a perfect glimpse into the many amenities we offer our guests. I hope you will return soon to Tucson and La Paloma, as I am looking forward to reading more of your commentaries. Bring your brother so he may enjoy with you. I wish you and your family continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is one of our favorite destinations in Arizona, it never dissapoints. Beautiful location, breathtaking views and warm genuine service. Jaime at the front desk was wonderful, extremly helpful and Amy in the gift shop was lovely. What a great team you have.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you very much for returning to La Paloma during your Arizona travels. We all appreciate the accolades to our team. Until next time, I wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I attended a conference there recently and found not only the hotel staff wonderful, but the banquet staff absolutely outstanding! DeAnn Guerrero was extraordinary in quietly serving a round table full of conference praticipants during an ongoing meeting. I was amazed how she single-handedly set an empty table and served a full dinner to some 20 attending the meeting. She was not a distraction at all and the meeting continued as if she weren't even in the room. Having a conference at the Westin La Paloma was a terrific experience! I'll go back again any time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for posting how DeAnn gave a personal touch to your conference dinner. I hope you have a chance to return for another conference or for some personal time to relax. I wish you continued safe travels…remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Thanks to Pamela in Banquets for providing iced tea when it wasn't on the menu. She search high and low, found the iced tea, and even looked all over the banquet floor until she found me again to bring the tea to me. I like that!

Thanks to Mario in the Restaurant who packed my team a mid-morning snack that included some extra food items that really helped our energy level during the conference. I like that!

Thanks to Daniel, supervisor in the restaurant for listening to my compliments about the staff and their superior service.

I recommend all three of you for a raise! Thank you for reminding me that customer service does make a different - a positve one!!!

Room Tip: Views of the mountains are breath-taking in the mornings.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for recognizing our associates that made such a positive impact on your recent stay. They all strive to make each and every interaction with our guests special. They will be here on your return to La Paloma to provide once more a memorable visit.