Overall, the resort is very nice. First the down side.... The rooms are tired and dated. They are very much in need of a renovation. I was expecting this since the resort has not had a major renovation, so I can't say I was hugely disappointed. (Also we got a really great rate.) The bed, of course, was very nice and the room was clean. The carpet, especially, was clean. The air conditioner was kind of loud & the shower could use a light in it. Other minor things needed fixing but wasn't a big enough deal to report. It was a little difficult to get the AC to cool low enough, but we finally just slept with the patio door slightly open. The huge flat screen TVs were great, but they did not offer HD channels. Try watching a football game with fuzzy players! I thought the in-room movies were excessively expensive too... $20.99 was the cheapest I saw!!
Now for all the positives...
First of all, the location is fantastic. There's a high-end shopping center a mile away that features great shopping & even better restaurants. All of the restaurants have happy hours & we spent most of our evenings there. the resort offers a free shuttle. Also, if you're looking for hiking - the Sabino Canyon recreational park is about a 10 minute drive from the resort. It's a fantastic hiking park. Lots of trails, low entrance fee, restrooms, etc. Several paths were paved in the event you have a stroller.
Back to the resort.... The heated pools are amazing. The kids' slide looked really fun, and there are 3 hot tubs & a cold water dip pool. We were there in early Nov, but it appeared there were plenty of lounge chairs & umbrellas. They were also nice-looking lounge chairs. Resort offers pool side waiter service too. I thought the pool and surrounding grounds were very nicely maintained.
The fitness center exceeded my expectations (for a hotel). There are 2 weight training rooms, 1 cardio room, a heated lap pool, racquetball courts, & ample tennis courts. They offer towels & free headphones for the cardio machines. The weight rooms were extremely well stocked with life fitness & cybex machines. I found most to be in good, working condition. My only complaint is that 3 days a week a circuit training class (offered for the private club members, not hotel guests) takes over the weight room for an hour. The sign on the door says individual work outs should be done in the room they are not using. Problem is they were using BOTH rooms. I worked out around them using machines they were not currently using. Even though I was quickly in and out, I got several dirty looks from the group. This may seem like a minor "problem" given they only dominate the space 3 times a week, however if it's the 1 hr you are there to work out, it's a big deal. The solution, Westin, is for this group to allow others to work out around them (without the nasty glares). Using common gym courtesy machines can be shared and used by several people.
Other things... I appreciate the self parking was free & convenient. The staff is helpful & friendly, which is expected. It's best to take the bell service golf cart to your room when you check-in. The rooms are very spread out & we would've been lost had we gone out on our own first. We only had one meal at the hotel - breakfast in the restaurant. It was fine. they did not offer a buffet, only menu service. The Sunday brunch looked great, but we did not partake.
Summary - great location, fabulous pools, great fitness center, tired / dated rooms
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the newest level of luxury in the Southwest at Tucson's iconic Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa. This AAA Four-Diamond resort, beautifully situated in the lush foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains, has undergone a $305 million resort-wide rejuvenation. The result is a more contemporary, personalized flare to the resort's renowned elegance that exceeds expectations and fulfills every guests needs. Each of the 487 spacious guest rooms (including 25 expansive suites) have been meticulously reappointed, with attention to the smallest details, to provide the most relaxing and convenient space to unwind. A perfect getaway for couples, families or corporate retreats, The Westin La Paloma Resort offers world-class amenities including five re-imagined resort swimming pools and the 177a€™ Sidewinder water-slide; 27 holes of Jack Nicklaus Signature golf; the full-service, restorative Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa; WestinWORKOUT Fitness Center; Kids Club; and 8 exceptional dining options. Just 25 minutes from the Tucson International Airport, The Westin La Paloma Resort is conveniently located near art galleries, shopping, and a wide variety of signature destination attractions and dining. Courtesy transportation is provided for guests via new Mercedes Sprinters to the upscale La Encantada shopping center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and HotelsClick so you can book your Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin La Paloma Hotel Tucson
- Westin Tucson
- Westin La Paloma Tucson Arizona
- Tucson Westin