“Problems, but they were fixed”

Best Western Gold Poppy Inn
Ranked #38 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Problems, but they were fixed”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We checked in for two nights in Tucson before flying home from Phoenix.
I asked for a quiet room and was given a room on the second floor.
Used the toilet and it blocked !!!
Went to front desk and the man there said he would come up to the room with a plunger.
He did, but stood outside the door with the plunger in his extended hand !!
I managed to clear the blockage and handed the plunger back to him.
Later my partner 'went' and it blocked again !! He was told there was 'an industrial' toilet on the ground floor !!!!!!!!
He then demanded another room which was reluctantly arranged.

I emailed the manager and she dropped the price of the room for compensation and said staff training would follow.

The Railroad whistle/horn blowing everytime a freight train went across the level crossing was very load in the room too.

Now to the good, the rooms were very clean and didn't smell and the breakfast was up to the standards of other motels we stayed in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidSB66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The best western Golden Poppy in met all my needs on my visit to the hotel. I would recommend it for those needing a hotel in the Tucson area. The staff is very helpful and the manager is very proactive in resolving customer concerns. I found the rooms very conducive to conducting business and for relaxation. The beds and other amenities made for a great experience. The hotel is conveniently located near good restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Cdawg1
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We did not have a reservation for our stay. I called the hotel and spoke with Jolene, she was very friendly and great to speak with over the phone. She advised there was plenty of availability and would have no problem renting a room. She advised she would let her night relief know that I was on the way. Upon arrival, I was greeted by Raul. He was very professional and courteous. Check in was very easy. The property looked pretty much brand new as it had undergone renovations from a Choice hotel to a Best Western. Our room was very nice and had plenty of space. Desk, chair, sitting area, fridge, microwave and good decor. There was a sign warning about the train horns, but quite honestly, it was not loud to the point that it woke us up. It is faint and can be heard if room is quiet. In the morning, the full breakfast included eggs, sausage patties, make-your-own waffles, and the variety of sweet bread and bagels. Check out was a blink. The staff was all very friendly. I had my receipt and was on the road again in no time. I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BudgetTraveler81
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Front desk staff is nice ,however housekeeping staff is exceptional. My room was clean and fresh. The property is also clean.

TUBE SURGERY AND TREATMENT OF STAFF WAS EXCELLENT.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We originally booked two nights, but we decided to leave after one night because this place just didn't have a nice area to enjoy the lovely weather or views of the mountains. When I go to Arizona, that is my number one priority in a hotel. The room itself was very nice and very clean, newly remodeled. The staff was exceptional, very friendly and accommodating. The free breakfast was more than adequate. It was purely the location/atmosphere that prompted us to leave early. The area is close to all the chain restaurants on Cortaro Road, but this location is sort of industrial. If this was your only impression of Tucson, it will leave a little to be desired, because Tucson has some beautiful areas. There are trains running through this area, which didn't wake us, but if you are a light sleeper it might.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ArizonaDreaming
Ravi k, Manager at Best Western Gold Poppy Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you for your great response on our hotel, we look forward to seeing you again in our hotel, I am so sorry to know that our location of the hotel is convenient to your needs. Thank you for staying with us.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Front desk staff is nice ,however housekeeping staff is exceptional, especially Susan and Robert. They go above and beyond the call of duty assuring guest qaulity and satisfaction needs are met. My room was clean and fresh. The property is also clean. Free breakfast was a plus, for the value of the hotel. Rent a car, nothing in walking distance!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mtjohnson007
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2012

After traveling and find no rooms in Phoenix we kept driving towards Texas and stopped here in Tuscon because google had found a Comfort Inn with availability for the night.
Arrived to find a newly remodeled hotel as a Best Western Plus. Check in was a breeze.
We reserved 2 rooms for the night as we had 6 traveling with us.
We got side by side rooms.
Both very roomy and new throughout with a free breakfast in the morning.
The gentleman checking us in on March 16th was wonderful and so courteous.
The next morning was a nightmare. The lady working the desk was rude and never smiled.
My husband didnt seem to catch a break there. He was making a waffle for my 8 year old when the smoke alarm went off. Lady was not happy. When the older kids came down for breakfast the orange juice was already gone. I asked the lady for more and she came in very grumpy but refilled the juice machine.
Upon check out and going thru lobby door my hubby accidentally hit the door. Boy was that lady upset again. He did not mean too and she set it back on track. But she glared at us until we drove off.
Even though this hotel is new, well priced, I will never return. I have never felt more unwelcome.

Room Tip: stayed in 112 and 113