“Scary part of town...graffiti everywhere, thugs on the corner, homeless guy in the courtyard”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #109 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We booked this one through hotels.com because it had a decent rating and a good price. However, driving through Tucson to get there, within a half mile of the hotel, we passed through a very scary part of town, with all of the street signs and business signs "tagged" with graffiti. We turned into the hotel, and there were 3 shady looking thugs on the corner. When we saw the chain link fence surrounding the property, we became nervous. We were traveling with a small trailer, and became concerned that our new black trailer might become a target. We simply didn't feel safe.

As I spoke with the front desk clerk, who seemed nice and tried to assure me that they didn't have any problems with that type of thing, another guest walked up and asked when they would have hot water back on. I decided I just didn't want to stay. I called hotels.com, they called the clerk, and the hotel refused to refund our money. The clerk told me it was because I made my reservation after 6 pm. She told me I could call the manager in the morning, but that there was no guarantee that he would give us a refund. I argued, and told her I had made the reservation 20 minutes earlier. She told me to take it up with hotels.com. I got a supervisor on the phone, and hotels.com agreed to refund our money.

I really don't care about a policy when you're concerned about personal safety and the safety of your property. Hotels are quick to tell you that they are not responsible for loss or damage. Maybe this property is fine, but my first impression left me feeling scared. I wish they had just agreed to refund my money and let me look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank Katkramer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 12, 2011

This is an older hotel with remodeled parts. Old carpeting and structure. The remodeling in the bathroom area really stuck out in our room because it was really nice, but the rest of the room was run-down and beat up. We were glad it had a mini-fridge and microwave. Also, we chose one of the bigger rooms and it was huge with a balcony overlooking the pool. Our favorite thing was the large indoor hot tub. The kids liked playing in it. Overall, the breakfast was decent and the hotel met our needs.

Room Tip: Request a bigger room!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank nnash07
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This hotel had both pros and cons. The pros would be the friendly attitudes of the staff and the overall cleanliness of the room. The con list involves the temperature, the smell, and breakfast. The temperature is a con because the lobby is air conditioned but the hallways are not. With the heat in Tucson this was an issue. To top it off, we walked into a sweltering hotel room. We immediately turned on the A/C upon arrival but it took a little over an hour to cool the room down. The smell was an issue in the hallway near the ice machines and the elevator. The elevator reeked of lubricant and smelled like an old roller coaster. The ice machines also had an odd smell to them. The other smell issue was in the room. While the area of the room with the bed smelled fine. The bathroom and sink area had a weird musty smell. Finally, breakfast was pretty skimpy. The trademark breakfast item for hotels of this caliber, the fresh cooked waffle, was unavailable. The waffle iron was there, but the batter dispenser was completely empty. Another hotel guest told me that the waffles were unavailable the previous day also. Overall this was an average hotel for the price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JohnsonK_11
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My Family and I stayed at this new clarion Inn downtown Tucson ,
not only was it a wonderful stay, but the hotel had so many features
we were never disappointed during our stay. Amazing pool & Indoor spa.
breakfast was wonderful, javier the manager is doing a great job with this
hotel. stayed there while it was a la quinta and this is a huge difference.
kudos javier...............

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MichealR42
lq0612gm, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Thank you very much for you wonderful review. It is so nice to hear that all of our hardwork to make your stay absolutely more enjoyable its working. we are glad to be part of the clarion family and hope that all of our guests feel the same way after leaving our property. We hope to see you again!

Javier Cruz, GM