Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University
Ranked #8 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I stayed at the Windmill Inn for three nights and had a wonderful stay there. The staff were very nice and friendly, and after I checked in to my room they called to make sure everything looked good.

The room I stayed in was a business suite with three rooms. There was plenty of room to sprawl, The hotel is well-kept.

Although I didn't have time to rent a bike, I thought it was very cool that people could rent bikes and ride them in the local park.

This was a wonderful stay, and I recommend it for people on business.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Zanika2005
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University

Reviewed August 11, 2008

Wow. What a hotel. This was our 8th vacation in the US. The Windmill Inn was definately the best hotel we had in all those years. We never stay in very luxurious places because what we usually want is just a clean room. At this hotel we got a suite for only $87/night. That includes a small livingroom, bedroom with two double beds, fridge, coffeemaker and microwave in a small kitchen corner, bathroom, patio (3 steps to the wonderful courtyard with pool) and continental breakfast (cereals, danish etc., hardboiled eggs,...). 2 TV's.

Everything was spotless clean. The suite doesn't look like a typical hotelroom...you can walk in a circle (livingroom - bedroom - bathroom - 'kitchen' - livingroom). The staff is very friendly and helpful (the printer in the businesscentre was broken, so the girl at the front desk took the time to print our bordingpasses from her computer). Fresh cookies every day after 4pm.

The location is nice too: It's located on St Philips Plaza with a couple of (expensive) shops. Great italian restaurant (Vivace) around the corner. Trader Joe's across the street. Lots of coffeehouses a couple of minutes (car) away on Campbell Avenue.

We were so glad with our room and the hotel in general. We can't think of anything that we didn't like! For us it was heaven (especially if you consider the fact that other hotels for 80-90$ are something totally different...). Every picture you see on their website is actually true.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sonja M
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We stayed at the Windmill towards the end of July. This hotel was a very pleasant find based on various Trip Advisor reviews. Comfortable king bed. Nice room. Very quiet at night. Friendly staff. The continental breakfast was good for what it was. To those who complain about breakfast, remember this is a $70/nite hotel, not a 5 star all inclusive. I would not hesitate to stay again next time I'm in Tuscon.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BigDubya
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We booked the Windmill because the price was decent ($99 dollars American for a room with a king size bed) -- and because we had read the hotel offered bicycles for its guests!

Upon checking in, we were offered still-warm cookies (no lie!) by the staff person behind the desk (they were delicious). The room was very nice as well -- spacious, clean, and comfortable.

We went for the bike offer -- the front desk provides helmets if you like, but we passed. The selection of bikes isn't huge -- and the ones we ended up taking were a little past their prime! But it made for a funny experience. We biked around the dry river bed that runs behind the hotel, on a paved/unpaved path.

For dinner, we wandered through the flowers and fountains of the surrounding plaza, and found our way to 58 Degrees and Bistro. This restaurant has a great wine selection -- and great food! Some of the best we had on our trip to Arizona.

There is a grocery store within walking distance of the hotel, and a drug store within driving distance. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank sketchy321
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Kudos to the Windmill Inn. A friend and I just got home from a 4 night stay there and we couldn't have been more pleased. We were warmly greeted by the front desk staff - every time we spoke to anyone at the front desk they were cheerful, polite and helpful.

The hotel was spotlessly clean and the room layout was great. My friend and I usually get separate rooms, but the suite was just as good. I claimed the living room/sofa bed as my bedroom. The sofa bed was comfortable and since there are two entrances to the bathroom, it was like having a private room.

Having a sink in the bedroom allowed us to get out hair make-up done at the same time, with one of us in the bathroom and the other in the bedroom dressing area.

We loved having fresh apples always available - the coffee/lemonade always available was also nice. I especially liked the cookies in the afternoon.

The complimentary breakfast was fine - no problems with crowding or lack of food. Everything was fresh and staff kept the area neat during breakfast service.

We also enjoyed the pool after a hot day of sight seeing. There was only one other small group using the pool area.

The location was perfect for us. We visited a friend who lived just 2 miles away and there was easy access to I-10. Several good restaurants and grocery stores nearby. We also enjoyed the Sunday farmer's market in the Plaza.

The best thing about the hotel was the value - $70 a night for "best of house" on the hotel's website.

Kudos to the Windmill Inn for a great property. To the folks who had complaints about the hotel - I suspect if they were given a silver platter, they'd complain that it wasn't gold. The Windmill Inn will be my "home" every time I return to Tucson!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank NWong
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I don't feel that it is necessary to describe the room - it's been done many times before. Everything was clean and in working order. Great Internet connection! The employees are very friendly and helpful.

I do want to mention that there was no problem with the mattress and we never had a problem finding an empty table to eat breakfast.

The plaza, where the hotel is located, is very picturesque. Unfortunately the current situation took it's toll and there are several unoccupied stores. The existing stores and restaurants don't have much business, which is rather sad.

There is a strip mall at the intersection of River Rd and Campbell, 5-10 minute walk, with several restaurants and a Starbucks.

We really enjoyed our 3-night stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kori
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I was referred to this hotel by a colleague who travels very frequently, and did not regret my visit. The staff are extremely friendly and eager to please. The rooms are actually little suites, and I really appreciated having a living room area and kitchenette that were separate from the bedroom. There is also a sink and mirror outside the main bathroom.

I had read mixed reviews about the hotel, for instance, that the beds were lumpy and the hotel was a bit run-down. This was not my experience at all. I had a lovely, new mattress and the hotel was actually repainting the doors in the hallway nearby. Rooms were very clean as well. I didn't try the breakfast service, but there is a shopping complex with several restaurants next door.

If you are looking for a trendy boutique hotel, this is not it. The decor is obviously from the 1980s and is nothing extravagant (dark green rug and light coloured walls, nothing special). But, if you are looking for a comfortable, quiet hotel in the Tucson area, especially if you need to work or just want some peace, this is a great choice. Here's a tip: there is a Trader Joe's grocery store right across the street, so you can stalk your fridge. Just bring (or buy) utensils and maybe a plate, because the kitchenette is not stalked.

Also, I only realized on the night before I left that the hotel is about 1 mile from a really beautiful winding highway that leads up to the Catalina mountains. Do not miss this, it is SPECTACULAR at sunset, with Saguaros right by the roadside.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business