“The good, the bad and the incomprehensible”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University
Ranked #8 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I arrived in Tucson at about 7 at night, and was too tired to keep going to my destination, so started looking for a hotel I could afford (the last one I stayed in was pretty sad). After driving around awhile, I remembered I'd read good things about Windmill Suites and called there, and managed to get a room for $99. Then the trouble started--I'm not that familiar with Tucson and could not find the street on the map, plus the clerk assumed I was driving from a different direction, so pretty soon I was totally disoriented. She was very patient tho, as I had to keep calling and had had no idea the hotel was at the other end of town.
Kind of hard to find the entrance since it's in a shopping complex which seems to be a college student hangout. Checked in and dragged a lot of luggage to the room, since I'm reluctant to leave stuff in unsecured lots. Put the card in the door, and the tv was on, shopping bags were on the floor and the shower was running. Backed out and called the desk on my cell (I was that tired that I didn't want to go back down) and stood in the hall until an employee came, He looked in the room himself and I followed him back down. This all must have taken half an hour. Then I was taken to a room right off the breakfast area and the vending and ice machines were right outside the door, so I pleaded for something else since i knew that would keep me awake, and finally was shown to a room back upstairs at the other end. I think by then it was after nine, I'm a senior who'd driven 8 hours and was so exhausted by then--I ate an apple for dinner. I tried to check my email, but the wireless connection didn't work. The bedroom looked newish and was comfortable, the sitting area was drab and cramped, if reasonably clean. I didn't really need the two tvs or wet bar etc. Utilitarian bath. At some point the desk called and said I wasn't being charged for the room, which was great since I'm on a very tight budget.
The next morning I asked about the wifi, oh, it must have been being serviced. So I tried it in the lobby, nothing. The desk clerks wanted to fiddle with my computer but I declined. (I heard later I should have been offered a signal booster,) Breakfast was fine, usual buffet fare.
The helpful clerk had given me a card to call the ceo, so when I found it recently I called and left a message saying yes, I'd had a kind of lousy experience, but this one clerk was helpful and patient as were some other employees, altho not sure if I would stay there again or not. I got a request to make a phone appt., and thought, wow, they really care. When I got the call, I was confused--apparently they thought I was complaining about not getting a refund, and compounded the confusion by saying they had sent me letters that were returned and insisted I'd written down some weird address. Even if I was drunk I wouldn't have written down that gobbledegook. He said, "We gave you a free room, what do you want from us? All I can do is apologize." And I said I didn't want anything, I called to tell him the employee had been helpful. Since I had him on the phone I repeated the worst of what had happened, that i was moved to three different rooms and didn't get to sit down in a room until an hour plus after I arrived, no wifi service. I guess I was expecting something like, come back and try us again and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! Instead he says, well, obviously we can't meet your expectations, so you should try some other hotel next time. The message I got was: you're a problem guest, we don't want you.

Room Tip: Away from the parking lot and the leaf-blowers.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank santafean51
JRCauvin, Owner at Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

I spoke to this guest on February 14th. She contacted me 4.5 months after her one night stay with us on October 3, 2011.
She was checked in and sent in error to an occupied room and we took corrective action immediately. The next morning at check out she came to the front desk and yelled at our Guest Service Coordinator when she was unable to gain Internet access on her Mac laptop. She was condescending to our Staff Member when we offered to help her out.
Our Manager handled the situation with this guest personally by refunding her one night stay.
I explained to this guest that we took full accountability for our mistake and reimbursed her stay. I apologize to her regarding the WiFi challenge she encountered despite the fact that our records indicate that we had not received any complaints from any other guests regarding our WiFi before, during and after her stay.
The purpose of her call was to inform me that her previous stay with us was “ridiculous” (repeated several times in the conversation) and that she was coming back in February to stay with us and was implying that she was entitled to another free room.
I explained to her that due to the fact that we failed to meet her expectations she would be better served by staying at another location. Her response was: “but you have such a nice place, I want to come back.” I had to repeat to her at least twice that she was better served again at another hotel. She then proceeded to hang up on me.
Our guests are the only reason we exist. We care and always take accountability for our mistakes. In this case we feel that her demand for another complimentary room was unreasonable and the poor manner in which she treated our Staff Members was inappropriate. For the record the Saint Philip’s Plaza where our hotel is located is in an upscale shopping plaza with fine restaurants and boutiques.

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University

Reviewed February 13, 2012

This was my first trip into Tucson, and I was able to treat myself to a more expensive hotel than usual. Front desk staff was kind and courteous, and the room was very nice and comfortable. I slept great the night that I was there, which is rare when I'm out travelling. Considering how close we were to a main road, it was surprisingly quiet. I was very tired and hungry by the end of the day, and was glad to find a Trader Joe's right across the street - with the microwave oven and refridgerator that is in the suite, I was able to get something and bring it back to my room, and could actually relax rather than having to deal with more people. I do agree with the earlier comment that recommended additional seating for the continental breakfast - especially with the vendors and buyers there for the bead show, the area was crowded and there weren't quite enough tables and chairs for people to enjoy their morning coffee or a bit of breakfast- though I did get the chance to meet some new people!
While I was there, food was quickly replenished by the hotel staff. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: There are actually 3 floors to this hotel. Although my room faced the parking lot, it was still qui...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2012

The room was immaculate and well-appointed. The kitchenette includes coffee-maker, microwave, and fridge, and there's a little counter with two stools for dining in your room, if you choose.

The beds were comfortable and having the two separate sinks was perfect. One was in the bathroom and one was outside of the bathroom. I was staying with two friends, so it was nice having three sinks total, including the one in the kitchen. : )

The sofa was comfortable and the little computer desk was a plus.

The staff was outstanding; everyone seemed to have a vested interest in our comfort and satisfaction with our stay.

Breakfast was good for a freebie. There were scrambled eggs, sausage, and waffles in addition to the usual fruit, cereal, bagels, yogurt, coffee and juice.

The beds in the suites are doubles rather that queens. My girl friends and I did not consider this a problem, however.

There are plenty of restaurants nearby (the steak house right up the road is GREAT), the hotel was quiet after 9:00 p.m., and there was plenty of parking, despite the bead show being on-site. I will definitely stay at this hotel again when visiting Tuscon. : )

Room Tip: There are only two floors and all of the rooms I saw seemed comparable. Bead show vendors use the ro...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel was very nice and yet could be even better. The front desk staff were very helpful.
The room was nicely appointed yet some of the finishing touches couyld have been much better. The mirror in the bathroom shower area was "cheap and cheap looking". Also the area off the bedroom where the ironing board, iron and hangers was totally open and looked somewhat "tacky" as a result. If these two areas were corrected I would easily give it 4 stars.
The continental breakfast was more than adequate with scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage along with several fruits, make your own waffles, as well as most of the common fares offered many other hotels. One very problematic issue was the shortage of areas to sit and eat. All tables available sat 4 people yet most were only used by 1 or 2. I had to sit at a chair in the lobby and hold my plate and juggle my coffee and juice. Not the best situation. I believe this could easily be addressed with some tables for two and repositioning of the tables for 4. I believe this hotel has the potential to be a 4 plus star location.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
JRCauvin, Owner at Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our Tucson location. Your feedback will be shared with our team members.

We are disappointed with the situation you encountered during breakfast. Our event rooms should have been set up with additional seating during breakfast hours. We apologize and take accountability.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

came back on account of the great location and good spacious accomodation on my previous visit 5 years ago.whilst the location next to the plaza is still great more so with the newly opened union bar/restaurant on the doorstep.im afraid to say the furnishings/decor are still the same as on my previous visit.they still have old style crt tv's for goodness sake.never seen one of those in an decent u.s.a. hotel for years.the breakfast choice is average and does not compare with the hampton/holiday inn fare. the owners need to up their game or the windmill will become an also ran.can't fault the staff and the weekly market outside is nice.time for a 2012 upgrade windmill to keep you up amongst the front runners.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John G

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our Tucson location. It appears that you do not appreciate our Southwest décor contrary to many other TripAdvisor guest comments.

We are sorry we were unable to meet your expectations and suggest you try another location during your next visit to Tucson.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights. The front desk staff were very helpful. Breakfast was continental and adequate. Rooms were southwest style slightly out of date. Beds were firm. We got put in a handicap room without a tub and the shower was not great IMO. mini kitchen was used as there is a trader joes across the street. Lemon water and cookies were a nice touch. Nice location near good restaurants and the mall.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank daniellepal
JRCauvin, Owner at Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Your review is most appreciated!

We will recognize our Guest Service Agents for the hospitality you received.

Based on availability we would have been more than happy to offer you another suite. Did you express to the Front Desk staff your desire to have another suite if this one did not meet your expectations?

Regarding the beds, our bedding and mattresses are new. We are using the top of the line Simmons Felicity II Pillow Top mattress and foundation.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

The hotel was easy to find and front desk clerk was efficient and pleasant. King bed was comfortable and room was clean. There was a problem with the thermostat but maintenance was there immediately and although it required replacing the thermostat he dealt with this right away and was very concerned that we were comfortable. Never had such great response to a maintenance problem. Breakfast was busy and items were not replenished quickly or some not at all. This could be improved. Other than that our stay was pleasant. We had dinner at Vivace which was across the parking lot and the experience was wonderful!

• Stayed: January 2012
JRCauvin, Owner at Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Thank you for your feedback and for praising our staff.

Please accept our apologies for the challenge with the thermostat. We are happy to know our maintenance staff handled the situation quickly and satisfactorily.

We have also taken corrective action to ensure the challenge regarding the lack of breakfast items available will not reoccur. There are no excuses for it.