“Interesting hotel with huge courtyard, great rooms”

Radisson Suites Tucson
Ranked #23 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Lots of space in the rooms, they truly are little suites. The basic suite I was in had a small living room, bedroom, bathroom, and another "dressing" room with the closet and another counter, sink with a mirror for getting ready. Also a little kitchenette with a mini-fridge and microwave. Small balcony to spend outside. Only downside is room does not have A/C and even in March (granted, I'm from the Midwest) it felt hot to me, especially with the heavy duvet. Also the "Sleepnumber" bed was weird and hard to get used to. No concerns with service, some problems with our conference room but nothing huge. Courtyard is gorgeous with pool/hottub area, places to sit and talk - cool table with a little firepit in the middle. Would definitely consider coming back for a more leisurely stay, didn't have time to sit by that pool!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
rstucson, Management Representative at Radisson Suites Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2011

Thank you very much for your review! We're so happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant one. We're glad you enjoyed your suite, and the courtyard and pool area, even if you didn't have much time to relax by the pool this time.
Thank you for noting the issue with your AC. It will be looked into and corrected.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 24, 2011

What patience the staff at this place has! I traveled this week with a college baseball team and we stayed with the Radisson folks. Our softball team has stayed here annually for a few years and the people at this property definitely know what they are doing! During the week we were there, there seemed to be a dozen teams staying at the property. My room, specifically, was cleaned every day by noon & restocked with plenty of towels. Given we were staying a week, we didn't need the sheets changed every day but the room stayed clean. My only "beef" with the suite, given that I stayed on the pull-out bed in the "living room" area was that there was no curtain on the glass block window by the front door. The hallway light shone in the room all night and in my laziness while on vacation, I would have liked it completely dark while sleeping. Oh, that and that there was only enough coffee in the complimentary coffee maker for two small cups a day...:) Also, if you are going to actually rest (rather than get up at 7am to go baseball games all day), request a room that doesn't face Speedway Blvd. The road is true to it's name. If you're a light sleeper, the fast & heavy traffic on Speedway starts early on workdays.

The breakfast buffet was wonderful! I don't know how the staff kept up but they did. There were what seemed like hundreds of college kids in there, filling their plates every morning and the restaurant staff kept the tables moving, the food stocked and still managed to have a smile on their faces. When traveling with a small per diem, having a large meal included in the rate of our room was wonderful (I realize this probably isn't the case for the single traveler but they did make this accommodation for the large groups).

The hotel grounds were great for a bunch of college kids. Being Northerners, we enjoyed the pool and hot tub, even when the temps may have been too cool for Southwesterners. I saw that other reviewers complained about the leaves in the pool - please....Every morning, I saw the staff out there vacuuming the pool and it was cleaned each day. After a particularly blustery day & night, I saw them out there for 3 hours, cleaning the entire area. It was spotless by noon! We were also able to take advantage of the deck/lounge area by the fireplace, which was absolutely lovely.

I realize that the single traveler may not have enjoyed having all of those teams at the hotel while we were there, but we were treated very well during our stay. As I said, our softball team has stayed there for 4 years and will return and I'm sure that should our baseball team return to that tournament, we will gladly stay at the Radisson again. Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Thank you so much for posting your review. We're so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay! We truly appreciate your repeat business during softball season. We always enjoy having the teams stay with us, and will look forward to it again each coming year! See you next time!

Reviewed March 13, 2011

Came down from Phoenix for a single night stay on a whim to check out the St. Patrick's parade in downtown Tucson, and the 2nd Saturdays downtown. Great time of year to be in Tucson, or anywhere in AZ!

We encountered a number of issues on our stay that don't really happen at nicer hotels... but I was sort of trusting the Tripadvisor reviews on this one:

Inspecting beds upon arrival (as I always do... to make sure they are clean sheets and for bedbugs) - the sheets seemed "new" with creases but both beds had quite a number of hairs both on the inside sheets and duvets. Called the maid service to change and they came quickly and replaced with clean sheets. Still, got the heebie jeebies from that.

Went to the bar to ask for two wine glasses to take to the room and they gave me obviously used and dirty ones - not just fingerprints. When I realized this, I went back to the bar and said, "Ugh... these are dirty." and the girl behind the bar just looked at them and wiped them clean with a cloth! I mean, they needed a dishwasher. I just thought they'd give me replacement glasses? I ended up just taking the dirty glasses back to my room and washing them with hand soap... also sort of gross. Unfortunately, this dirty dish syndrome continued to breakfast the following morning when the first 3 plates I picked up in the buffet line had quite a bit of dried food on them. Yuck.... definitely need to do some QA on the dish situation at the restaurant.

The grounds are nice, and we took a few good pics of the kids in the orange grove in the rear of the hotel. The pool was pretty good - aside from tons of leaves in one end of it. They didn't seem to run out of towels, which was good!

This is an older hotel and probably could use some updating, but if it was spotlessly clean it would have been just fine! It's just the cleanliness issue that gets in the way of being able to give a better review.

Highly doubt I'll return, though....

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
rstucson, Management Representative at Radisson Suites Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2011

Thank you so much for your review. We are sorry to hear that you encountered some problems during your stay, and appreciate you bringing these to our attention. Please know that they are being addressed, and we will be servicing our restaurant equipment promptly.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our grounds and got some great family photos in our Orange Grove.

We value your business and do appreciate letting us know where we fell short. We do hope that you give us another chance in the future to show you that we can do better.

Reviewed March 10, 2011

I stayed at the Radisson while on a three-day business trip. I thought the hotel itself was lovely, and I have no complaints about the actual hotel. My grevience lies with the hotel workers, specifically, management. I had a pre-paid reservation. I presented a credit card for incidentals. Since I did not order room service or utilize any of the hotel services, I was expecting no charge to be present on my account. I was wrong. Turns out that I was charged 167.18. Imagine my surprise when I reviewed my credit card statement. To make matters worse, I called the hotel directly to resolve the issue to no avail. The necessary "people" wasn't in the office. I called the corporate office to no avail because "they had no access to hotel financial records." I am incredibly frustrated and angry that I was robbed by the hotel. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE MONEY STOLEN FROM YOU.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
rstucson, Manager at Radisson Suites Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to review, and for bringing this to our attention. I apologize for the frustration you've encountered.

Please contact me directly, and I would be happy to discuss and resolve this issue with you.

Bruce Richardson
Director of Sales and Marketing
(520) 239-1109

Reviewed February 14, 2011

We just spent Saturday night, Feb 12 at the Radisson and had a wonderful stay. As most people on TripAdvisor write, the staff is wonderful. I wish I could remember everyone's names that we came across but EVERYONE was very nice and treated us in a very welcoming and friendly way. I can't say enough positive things about the staff. First, we got there very early (around 12:30PM) on Saturday and a room was available so they let us check in early. My daughter and I enjoyed the pool since it was about 80 deg F outside. We also played some ping pong in their game room. The grounds near the pool is very nice. There are many places to enjoy the warm Tucson atmosphere. We used the business center to check in for our flight the next day. They have a bank of computers so there was no waiting to use a computer. The Radisson also had some fresh fruit and hot chocolate in the lobby which my daughter enjoyed. The room was your typical Radisson layout which we had no issues with. There was a separate seating area with a TV, desk, and an area with the frig and microwave. The bathroom was a split design with separate bath and shower with plenty of hot water. AC and heater worked without any issues. Requesting a late check out (2:00PM) was no issue and so we were able to enjoy the pool and ping pong table some more. We didn't eat at the Radisson so no comments about the food and restaurant. We will definitely stay here again and so should you!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
rstucson, Management Representative at Radisson Suites Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Thank you so much for your great review. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you had great experiences with our staff - they truly are the pride of our hotel. We're glad to hear you were able to enjoy some of our amenities we offer, including the pool area, game room and business center.

We appreciate you taking the time to post, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 13, 2011

We wholeheartedly enjoyed our stay here. I don't always posy my stays, but felt I needed too. The staff was totally awesome and SUPER helpful for us. Sabrina on Friday and Lili on Saturday.

We had a bit of a mix up on my end with which room I reserved, but pretty quickly we got into our 2 room suite. There was me and my husband, our two kids, and my dad, and it worked perfect not having to get two separate rooms.

My dad had a mishap with his cell phone, and Lili helped us out to get it working again.

The pool and hot tub were great. Kids had a blast. We even had super in the restaurant and that was pretty good. They had half price apps during happy hour and beer specials on a Saturday night, which you don't ever seem to see any more. We had late reservations somewhere else but the HUGE plate of nachos definitely tided us over.

We would most definitely stay here again, but the only thing that bugged me a bit was the loud fan coming on randomly in the batheroom. All switches can be off and it still comes on.

• Stayed: February 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff was so helpful to you. I have forwarded your comments of Sabrina and Lili to their department head. We're glad everyone enjoyed our pool area and the Breeze Patio Bar and Grill.

Thank you also for noting the fan in the bathroom - we will look into this.

We appreciate your review, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 12, 2011

While on vacation we stayed two nights in a one-bedrooom king suite at the Radisson Suites Tucson in February during the Tucson Gem Show. We booked through hotels.com. Total cost per night, including a breakfast package and taxes, came to about $215 per night. This was advertised as a “Gem Show rate.” (I’m not sure if that’s good or bad.)
Summary: Pros:
Small private balcony on upper floors
Well-designed, comfortable bathroom

Cons:
Room design, décor and amenities are not of consistent quality
There are maintenance issues on the property, e.g. the elevator, refrigerator
Actual hotel rates do not correspond to hotels.com package deal rates.
Maid service not ideal

Notes on the location: The hotel is situated on the west side of Tucson. If you’re planning to spend time downtown or at the University of Arizona and commute to and from your lodging, this is not a convenient choice. We underestimated travel time in Tucson, and the street on which this hotel is located does not live up to its historic name. Traffic on Speedway Blvd. often moves with the velocity of molasses, and it can be a long drive to and from this location to other parts of the city. From Interstate 10 or downtown westbound on Speedway, one passes through alternating patches of standard to upscale retail and restaurant zones, as well as through seedier areas with thrift stores and pawn shops. The area around the hotel itself is a mix of small retail shops, professional offices, hotels and multiple-family housing units. There is a Trader Joe’s supermarket nearby, on the southeast corner of Wilmot Road and Speedway, where you can find good fresh deli items, wine and beer, and groceries. Restaurants in the vicinity are mostly small, nondescript places located in or adjacent to strip malls. The hotel restaurant is likely your best choice if you are not inclined to drive to another part of town for dinner.

Notes on the suite: Our suite was set back from the street, and we were pleased that it was quiet, with only minimal noise transference between rooms. (We were able to hear the telephone ringing next door, but fortunately, our neighbors did not get a lot of calls.) With around 460 sq. ft. altogether, the suite is not huge. Parts of it have a low ceiling, giving the space a somewhat cramped feeling. However, the sliding glass doors to the little balcony outside did help to create more openness. The entry from the outside leads to a combination living area and office space. A cabinet adjacent to the exterior door contains the microwave, a half-sized refrigerator, and a double-cup coffee brewer. Glassware and ceramic coffee mugs are provided. The refrigerator turned out in reality to be a freezer. The temperature control dial had been removed, preventing us from adjusting the setting, and the temperature was set so low that everything inside froze. We had to throw out a deli salad that froze and spoiled, and we had the coldest beer in town. There is a comfortable desk chair at the work table. Free Wi-Fi is provided in the room, and at check-in the staff will affix a sticker to the room key envelope that indicates the user name and password you will need in order to log on. The Wi-Fi signal was consistently strong.
Some aspects of the suite give it the feel of a cheap apartment: the interior doors are made of plastic with a fake wood grain effect. By contrast, the front entrance is a heavy and unattractive metal security door. The courtyard side of our room contained a window made of glass bricks, and the trim around the opaque glass had been sloppily painted (again the cheap apartment look). Paint had also been spilled on the balcony. The unit was clean, however, and the carpet was in good condition.
The living area has a pull-out sofa, upholstered chair, floor lamp, end table and television and is decorated in tasteful earth tones. The balcony beyond the living area is narrow but adequate. It has two chairs and a small table. The balcony had not been swept in a while, and the plastic furniture was dusty. It is nice that the balconies are separated for privacy and are not visible to one another. The privacy walls on the balcony are set in at an angle. This results in an irregular interior space in the bedroom of the suite and provides an interesting relief to the floor plan.
The bedroom was decorated in an attractive modern style and included a second television set. The king size bed is a sleep comfort model with an electrical control. I had never experienced one of these contraptions before. A cable-connected control device allows you to adjust either or both sides of the bed to various firmness settings. A loud electric motor under the bed pumps the mattress up on command, giving one the impression that a vacuum cleaner is running underneath the bed. It was OK, but I’m not rushing out to buy a sleep comfort bed, and I wouldn’t pick a hotel based on the presence of one. If nothing else, it was fun to ride up and down on the thing for a while, before my partner made me cut it out, and I dozed off at Sleep Setting 30. The pillows were plentiful and comfortable, and the bed linens were of good quality.
Radisson seems to have invested much of its design effort and floor space in the bathroom. There are two separate sinks and counters, each in a separate room, one of which has a walk-in closet with full-length mirrors. The sink here is handy for fetching water for the coffeemaker in the adjacent vestibule area. The other room in the bathroom suite contains both a bath tub and a separate stone-tiled shower cabinet, which we found to be a nice feature. Hot water was prompt and plentiful. The towels were only of moderate quality, but I’ve seen worse. At the far end of these rooms the toilet is situated behind a privacy partition, and a separate sconce light fixture connected to a ventilator fan is located back there. This is a thoughtful design that prevents one from having to listen to the roar of a fan every time the bathroom light is switched on. Less thoughtful, though, is the design of the connecting door between the bathroom and the bedroom. It’s frustrating that the bathroom door is completely blocked any time the door from the living room is open, because the bedroom door swings back over this same door space.

Notes on the hotel and grounds: The hotel is on the south side of the street, and fortunately, there is a break in the median that allows one to turn left into the hotel driveway off of westbound Speedway. (This is not always the case on Tucson thoroughfares, and U-turns are often an accepted necessity.) This is a five-story, horseshoe-shaped hotel. The doors to the rooms open to the outdoors, off of an interior courtyard, where there is an outdoor pool and hot tub. In contrast to the desert surroundings, the courtyard is lush with shady vegetation, including exotic trees such as bamboo. We visited Tucson during a cold snap, so the weather did not permit us to try the pool. The balconies open to the outer sides of the hotel, looking out to the street or to the parking lots. This feature is available on the 2nd floor and higher. It did not appear that the ground floor rooms had equivalent patios. We lucked out and had a mountain view from our room, looking toward the southwest. If possible, try to get a room farther back in the hotel, away from Speedway, because it appeared to me that balconies on the Speedway side are subject to tire whine from the busy street.
The hotel restaurant is pleasant and includes a full bar and a separate Wi-Fi internet café. We only had breakfast there, so I cannot attest to the quality of the restaurant’s menu. The breakfast buffet was good, with a variety of hot dishes as well as fresh fruits and cereal.
The fitness room on the ground floor has a variety of exercise machines, including three treadmills and three loper machines. There are also two weight benches with a set of freeweights. The business center just off the main lobby has several computers and two printers, and I had no problem at all logging on and printing out our boarding passes.
However, not everything at the hotel works well. The elevator was out of order when we arrived, so we trundled up three flights of stairs with our luggage. It took more than a day to fix it, and at no time was an “out of order” sign posted. As a result, we often noticed clusters of guests waiting in vain for an elevator that was not moving. Be aware if booking through hotels.com that the rates on that site do not correspond to those at the Radisson. In order to include breakfast in the cost, as was advertised on hotels.com, the staff instructed us to charge breakfast to the room, after which they would delete the cost from the bill. However, upon departure from the hotel I was presented with a bill for slightly less than $2 and told that we had exceeded our “allowable breakfast charges.” I fished some cash out of my pocket and bit my tongue, but the nickel-and-dime check-out fee diminished my interest in returning to this hotel.

Notes on service: The staff members we encountered during check-in were very friendly and helpful. Check-out was less pleasant, as I noted above. Maid service was not outstanding. When we checked in we found the closet doors standing open in the bathroom. Clean wash cloths had been scattered on the floor and left there (better than dirty ones I suppose). The maid also declined to empty our coffee grounds from the coffeemaker each morning, preferring that we take care of that ourselves.

In summary, Radisson Suites Tucson has a number of attractive features but is not consistent in its quality or service. This is not a bad place to stay, depending on the price you’re quoted and the location you need. I would consider staying here again, but next time I’m in Tucson, I’ll look for something else first.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your detailed review. It is because of guest reviews that we are able to see where we shine and where we might need additional polishing, so thank you very much for taking the time to post.

Always remember that the best rate and package information can be found by either calling the hotel directly at (520) 721-7100 or by visiting our website at radissontucson.com. We hope to see you again!