“Slow wifi, no TV”

Ranked #25 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Fort Myers, Florida
“Slow wifi, no TV”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

This has all the makings of a great stay but for the fact that it is "served" by ComCast which means that the wifi is so painfully slow as to be useless and the TV can't be accessed via the ComCast remote. Even after embarrassed instructions from the front desk, I was unable to get anywhere and could not access even the Weather Channel. (Disclosure, I am a tech savvy guy.)
The embarrassed front desk conceded that I am not alone and the situation was driving them nuts as well. Don't book here until they fire ComCast.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Intlpvti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Arizona
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Nice hotel. Lobby is prettier than your average Hampton Inn, and opens out to a pretty pool area with nice views (on a hill). Breakfast was OK -- a folded disk of egg with cheese passes for an 'omelet', but they had fresh fruit. Room was quite clean and modern. Beds were VERY comfortable. We wanted to rent a movie, but the system was inoperative, so you only had the cable channels. Value was not great for Tucson, considering that this location is not very close to downtown or the UofA - around $150/night. That may be because we were there for Parent Weekend at the U of A (30,000 students).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Escondido, California
Reviewed August 22, 2011

efficient front desk check-in, offered hilton gold upgrade to suite without any prompting, clean, quiet, well maintained

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Given the choice, I stay at Hampton hotels rather than the more "upscale" options, one of which was right next door. The water is hot, the breakfast is good, the wifi is fast, and the staff are helpful. This hotel was no exception. The front desk clerk asked pertinent questions to get me a room that would suit me and then called up to make sure my room was as it should be. She even knew where to tell me to look when I couldn't find an outlet. I had a relaxing stay in a quiet room and started each business day ready to go. I'll definitely stay here again if I return to the area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank trigeekgirl236
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed April 6, 2011

As usual, the Hampton Inn has delivered and provided a pleasant nights sleep while traveling. There is a southwestern decor in the lobby and very well maintained. The rooms are smaller than some H.I. but that was not a problem for me as a solo traveler. Everything was updated, which is nice and the bedding, as usual, was comfy as could be!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Catalina's
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 24, 2010

I was a little concerned when I was booked to stay at this hotel by the company I was visiting in Tucson. I had read a review expressing consternation over the "comfort sensor" in the rooms which senses when the room is occupied or vacant and adjusts the temperature accordingly. I hate, hate, hate to be hot when sleeping. I crank up the AC to frigid and snuggle under the comforter.
I am pleased to say that this "comfort sensor" no longer exists - at least not in the suite I stayed in. Perhaps enough folks complained about being uncomfortable and Hampton Inn listened.
The complimentary breakfast is pretty good. There's enough choices from the cholesterol laden bacon and eggs to the low fat yogurt and fresh fruit. Coffee is decent, too and I'm a coffee snob.
The room was very clean and the bed comfy. I like the apartment-like layout of the suite making it feel more like home. The full kitchen is nice but the cooking utensils need to be replaced. I had thought about cooking while there but after looking at the skillet, I was repulsed by the damaged non stick surface and crusted on gunk. Yuck.
The free wifi is very good, never had a problem with it.
For the business traveler, this is a comfortable hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Barbara S
Seattle
Reviewed February 6, 2009

BEWARE: This is probably one of the nicest Hampton Inns I've seen, beautiful lobby, nice rooms, great beds. However, this is the second Hampton Inn I've stayed at that has a special "comfort sensor" in the rooms. Basically, what this is, is a motion detector that shuts off the AC in a room when the guest leaves. The problem is that this"sensor" cannot tell the differance between a room that is empty and a room that has a sleeping guest. Consequently, when you arrive and are unpacking and watching TV, things are great, but then you go to sleep, you are awakened in the middle of the night , kicking off covers, sweating, in a stuffy, hot, uncomfortable room! You can try waving your hands or jumping around and the AC will come on for a few minutes and then, once again, shut off. I stay in hotels perhaps 200 times a year and I must admit, this is the most galling, insidious effort by a hotel to save money at my expense that I have ever seen and I could tell by the staffs reaction to my complaints that they hear this all the time and they are well aware of the problem.. Trust me, if you are like me and you prefer to control the temperature in your room, don't stay at this hotel! I had a miserable night and hardly slept and then tried to conduct an important day of business in Tucson. I'm really ticked! This has happened now at two Hampton Inns and one Courtyard. From now, on, if I walk in and see the "DIS-comfort sensor" on the wall...I'm out of there! Thankfully, so far, only a few hotels have installed this system. Fellow hotel guests...we must rise up and refuse this awful attempt to save money at our expense and demand a decent nights sleep! (Thanks for hearing my rant). Do not stay at the Hampton Inn Tucson on Oracle Road.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank BuinessTraveler