“Decent location, nice rooms, but you can do better for the $ in Tucson”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #30 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 22, 2010

A decent hotel, but for $270 a night I could have stayed at one of Tucson's luxury resorts, either way I'd still have to take taxis everywhere. Seemed like a pretty bad value in comparison.

I struggled to find a hotel in the city center of Tucson (where my business activities were) that had any life to speak of nearby. Near the convention center and most of the downtown area looked pretty dead - no active restaurant or shopping areas. So we stayed near the University, and the Mariott is in a great location there, nestled among a cute block of shops and restaurants.

Rooms are nice - more sleek and updated than the dated lobby, which is a replica of early 90s era Embassy Suites (think fake plants and rocks and mini waterfalls, glass elevators facing the atrium, and a restaurant in the middle of the lobby floor.) Stayed on the concierge level which was pleasant and had good mountain views.

My main problem was that for the $270 I spent per room per night, I could have stayed out at the JW Marriott Starr Pass or the Westin La Paloma or any of the other lovely, sprawling desert resorts. Even being near the University, we ended up having to take taxis to any truly nice restaurant or any business function. So we might as well have been at one of the luxury resorts for the price.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Tucson University Park Hotel

Reviewed December 9, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here while visiting the University of Arizona on a college road trip. The hotel couldn't be in a better location if the campus is your destination, literally a block away from everything. Every employee we came across, from the valet guys to the front desk staff, were incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was large and comfortable. There is a large restaurant on the lobby level where we had a breakfast. As with every hotel I have ever stayed in, the food is ridiculously expensive. However, the hostess and waitress were on their game and were friendly and efficient. The food wasn't too bad either, just expensive (you pay for the convenience). My only complaints were the fact that internet wasn't free (seriously, it's 2009 and you're still charging for internet?) and the bathroom could have been a little cleaner. With that being said, I would stay again at this hotel in a heartbeat and plan to do so for orientation, move-in, and parent's weekend.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2009

This is, of course, a chain hotel, but a good one in a fine location, especially if you plan to visit the University of Arizona. The rooms are clean, substantial in size, and comfortable. The bed was particularly comfortable. Extra towels are available in the room. There is a ironing board, iron. Internet is available. A large modern TV is in every room. There is a small in-house restaurant that serves until 9, but the same menu is available in the lounge area until 11. The same restaurant is the breakfast area and the buffet is a bargain. Especially nice is the fact that pancakes or waffles are made to order, not left steaming and getting soggy. Also made to order are all manner of eggs. Breakfast is first-rate at the Marriott. Newspapers are available free as are fresh baked cookies in the lobby (from a fine bakery very close by). Fresh water with lemon is also always available in the lobby. I expected much less from such a hotel, but was pleasantly surprised. I would return any time I needed a place near the University at a good price. I have stayed at the Arizona Inn, La Paloma and Ventana Canyon. All are superb in every way, but all are much more expensive. The value/price ratio is higher here.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My wife and I took our 2 month old to Tucson on a short weekend getaway. We both attended the U of A and wanted to stay close to be within walking distance of everything.

This is the 3rd time i've stayed here and I've always really enjoyed it. It has a great atmosphere with the giant atrium in the middle with the restaurant and bar below. It has a decent pool (a must in the arizona sun) and good fitness facilities. the staff are all very friendly and helpful.

the rooms are very comfortable. nice, huge, comfy beds. clean and classy bathrooms. a good-sized flat screen tv. i have no complaints about the room at all.

the best part about the hotel by a wide margin is its proximity to the university. it's about a block away from the main gate entrance. it's a 1 minute walk or less from the shops, restaurants, and bars on university blvd. if you're coming to Tucson for the U of A, it's an absolute no-brainer to stay here. even if you don't have business at the U of A, this is still the best location to stay in tucson in my opinion. the only possible exception being the arizona inn if you have money.

i definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Ive stayed at this hotel 4 times during the last 6 months for college visits and then college orientation and lastly dropping my son off for school. The hotel itself is a pretty nice place, the rooms are nothing special, They are a little dated but clean and roomy. The only issue i have (and its a big one) is every single time I stay here the room smells like a sewer. The smell comes and goes (or maybe you just get used to it) I am shocked that I have not read another review that has smelled this? at first I thought it was the room but after 4 stays I am certain its the hotel plumbing and not the room itself. We heard a kid in the hallway during my stay last week say why does this room always smell like $#!7.

The staff has always been top notch all the way down to the Valet.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Weez_1000
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I had the pleasure of visiting Tucson earlier this year. We found the hotel not only clean and comfortable, but the asst. night manager went out of his way to help us to our room. I was travelling with my two young children and we arrived way past their bedtime, they were fussy and sleepy and didn't want to cooperate with me. Mr. Taylor saw that I was struggling and offered to carry my bags. Our visit lasted 5 days and 4 nights and hospitality exceeded my expectations every day. Not only would I stay at this hotel again, but when in Tucson next, it will be my preference.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I would be remiss if I did not compliment Otha on his highly developed customer relationship skills. I have the pleasure of staying at this hotel weekly, and I can say that I truly look forward to my stays as Otha oversee's that every detail in my profile is cared for. He is a pleasure to work with and his attention to detail is bar none. Thank you Otha for the attention to detail that you pay to me personally that keeps me coming back to the Marriott when I have other choices readily available.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business