“Location, location, location!”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #39 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I'm usually very criticial about everything, but I can't complain about anything at this Marriott. In particular, it is right on the university campus - U of A buildings throughout the neighborhood. During breaks in my business conference it was a pleasure to stroll the gorgeously-landscaped grounds in the warm sun. There are also plenty of restaurants and coffee shops throughout the area.

The hotel itself was quite competently run. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were a good size. Shaded balconies offered nice views. The beds and linens were first-rate. Housekeeping was perfect, and I never once walked into a room mid-clean or got a nasty knock on my door saying housekeeping was now or never. The meeting rooms were fine. The fitness room had very good cardio facilities, but really no weight training.

The only thing I can carp on is something I've run into at many hotels sharing this open atrium design: my room was a long way from the elevator; the elevators were WAY too slow; and if one took the stairs, one ended up in an outside alley instead of the lobby.

But everything else was done so well I could even handle the elevators.

Reviewed April 24, 2009

This attractive atrium hotel is practically on the U of Arizona campus and thus super convenient access for University events and particularly Centennial Hall. Nearby inexpensive restaurants are plentiful although one needs to drive to any serious shopping. Desk personnel and housekeeping were quite efficient. The underpopulated dining room was convenient and steak tasty. Parking was overpriced at $11 for self park and the room a bit overpriced for the area. Improvements needed: real coffee cups, TV Guide in room, free access to Internet.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Don't let some of the poorer reveiws on here fool you. While the parking is kinda different (parking garage or lot w/ fee), I wasn't directly affected since I took a $30 cab ride from the airport. I was a little skeptical, but was quite pleased and impressed when I checked in. They were very accomodating when I arrived early and wanted to check in (before 10am). They had a room and quickly checked me in and asked if I wanted a mini fridge to be sent to my room. This worked perfectly since I was in the middle of a cold and wanted to get some rest in before I went the my conference (being held at this hotel). I was given a king room, which was clean, spacious and had a couch. I was on the 6th floor in the corner (601). The room was in quiet and no issues. The hotel did a great job of providing water on each table at the conference and provided iced juice and sodas after lunch.
They have a bar and dining in house, but we ate out at the numerous restaurants within a block or less of the hotel. Quite a variety of places due to being right in the middle of the U of A campus. I would stay there again!

Reviewed April 5, 2009

What a friendly, helpful staff! Outstanding!

The room was nice, the location is great, and the room was very quiet. I was worried about noise issues due to reviews on this site, but I can honestly say that even though our fifth floor room overlooked the atrium/lobby/bar, I didn't hear a sound so long as our room door was closesd.

Reviewed March 22, 2009

I stayed here multiple times due to my University businesses. Even though I probably stayed here for about 6 weeks in 2007-08, I was never satisfied with my stays. The room is adequate and bathroom is fair; 80's style. The common area is very nice, though.
It is right next to the University and main campus town area, which would be the only reason to stay here. I hope someone develops a nice hotel near by. This Marriott needs some competition to improve their attitude.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2009

This is one of the nicest Marriotts I have stayed in. The rooms are spacious and clean. The bathroom is large but might need a little updating, but is sufficient and clean. The pool is small, but clean.
The location is very close to the university and there are lots of restaurants and shops. The views of the mountains are great. The staff was helpful and friendly. When travelling I seem to have a problem keeping the room cool enough at night, but this hotel room was cool and the bed comfortable.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2009

Location is right on the edge of campus. Lot's of restaurants outside the door. Hotel is typical Marriott Quality, which is good and predictable. Parking was free as we stayed on a weekend.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family